Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my 650 today, but I have a few questions

Hotsauce

OK, so the only problem during set up is the black shoot on the right side of the press was all bent and would not let the ram go down all the way, I had to bend it and now the paint is peeling, are these troublesome?

Next, on the powder measure, does it act as a expanding die? Because mine is. I loaded it up with the expander die I had, but I am not so sure I need it. Can someone clarify this please.

And my powder measure sure does stick often, I have the rod set up, but if that was not there, it would not go back to the closed position on its own.

Edited by Hotsauce

OK, so the only problem during set up is the black shoot on the right side of the press was all bent and would not let the ram go down all the way, I had to bend it and now the paint is peeling, are these troublesome?

If you have it straightened and it works ok you should be fine.

Next, on the powder measure, does it act as a expanding die? Because mine is. I loaded it up with the expander die I had, but I am not so sure I need it. Can someone clarify this please.

Yes the expander is in the powder die under the powder measure, adjust the powder die up or down as needed to adjust the flare of the case mouth.

And my powder measure sure does stick often, I have the rod set up, but if that was not there, it would not go back to the closed position on its own.

The rod is to ensure the powder measure fully returns each time, adjust it to when you push forward on the handle as if to set a primer it compresses the spring on the rod a little. Also be sure it is installed correctly, from left to right or thru the slotted side first or it will hang up.

Greg

The finished cartridge chute should paint can be easily touched up if you need/want to. Shouldn't be any problem leaving it alone, but the paint will help extend the life of the part to prevent corrosion.

Yes, the powder funnel is suppose to bell the mouth of your case. See page 12 of your Dillon XL 650 manual.

Yes, the current design with the modern 650 is for the fail safe rod to also provide the motion to move the powder measure bar. If you read the other threads here about how to get rid of the failsafe rod, and go back to the old style 650, you'll need to get springs or rubber bands wrapped around the neck of hopper and the stud on the powder measure bar.

It wont let me post a pic of the powder measure since I am new, but if you look under the reloading area of the high road forums, you can see my post under the user name gasitman.

I am not so sure the measure should stay open like this, if not for the fail safe it would never close.

I am not so sure the measure should stay open like this, if not for the fail safe it would never close.

Thats the way it's supposed to work.

Call Dillon. They will send you a new chute.

Also, read the directions. It explains the opperation of the flare on the powder die/measure and other important parts of the press.

It wont let me post a pic of the powder measure since I am new, but if you look under the reloading area of the high road forums, you can see my post under the user name gasitman.

My new 650 works the same, and had the exact same issue. I had to tweak my chute as well. You have to be careful where and how you bend it so that it remains straight in relation to the slide that pushes in a new case. There is nothing to help the powder measure close except gravity and the fail safe rod. It is working correctly. Instead of using a spring to maintain constant pressure on the powder measure it is much more mechanical and I think the clunkiness of it makes the powder charge more consistent. I will say that it is a bit of a pain to get the expander set correctly when the powder measure is installed and there are no wrench flats or anything on the powder die. Good luck with your new 650!

Edited by Paul-the new guy

My chute would flex slightly when the blue bin was completely full of ammo. Dillon has removed metal in certain areas to allow for easy bending and adjustment. While it was off I applied some thin cushioning material on the outside to remove some of the clang when a loaded round hits it.

You are almost home free. :cheers:

Did you order the Video with your 650? Order it! Watch it! Then read the manual, twice. DO NOT TOUCH the 650 until then. This hobby can be dangerous.

Yes I got the video, I have reloaded before, so I have a generalized knowledge of it. It is just a new machine and a new learning curve.

Hey Hotsauce that must be the way that the dillon 650 comes; I bought mine with the strong mount and I had the same issue with the loaded round chute hitting the case feeder on the bottom and not letting me go full stroke home to seat the primer. I called dillon and talked to the tech guy there and he sent me out two of the chutes; I replaced the chute and bang I was back in reloading again.

It looks like all that replied have told you the same thing. I think that the 650 is the best press; since I have had the square deal, and the 550 before getting the 650. I am sure you will feel the same after a bit of workking with the press.

Good luck.

my 650 ejection chute was the same way i called dillon and the guy gave me this bullshit speech about oh you have to bend it a little here and there to make it work i was like wtf? it just cost me 1200 bucks with goodies! and i have to bend the chute? never the less he wouldnt send me a chute so i f*#king zip tied it to the frame been working great since then!

p.s. he sounded a little sour when i said i ordered from enos

Edited by Bello

my 650 ejection chute was the same way i called dillon and the guy gave me this bullshit speech about oh you have to bend it a little here and there to make it work i was like wtf? it just cost me 1200 bucks with goodies! and i have to bend the chute? never the less he wouldnt send me a chute so i f*#king zip tied it to the frame been working great since then!

What happened to the no BS warranty?

I would call back, say I was bending it back as suggested and the thing snapped. Problem solved. They will send you aa new one.

• 1 month later...

Just got mine running Monday, after loading on 550's for thirty years it's like moving from and old PU six cylinder three on the tree to a new fully loaded ride.

The 550 is a true work horse and still the best entry level machine out there but the 650 is sweet!

You'll love it once you learn it.

My chute would flex slightly when the blue bin was completely full of ammo. Dillon has removed metal in certain areas to allow for easy bending and adjustment. While it was off I applied some thin cushioning material on the outside to remove some of the clang when a loaded round hits it.

You are almost home free. :cheers:

I kind of like the clang.....it reminds me of the cha-ching of a cash register.cheers.gif