Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beggers

Erik S.

I can't stand beggers on street corners! Especially the ones that will actually knock on your window sitting at a stop light or give you dirty looks when you don't give them money.

I've started faking a "panicked search for the lock button" on my doors to get a rise out of them. HAHAHA. Get a job...especially if you can walk. My yard needs to be cleaned up and it seems like the trend of neighborhood kids looking to save money for their next SuperSoaker has drastically declined. It aint like it used to be...and I'm saying that at age 25!!!!

We've got panhandlers staked out on every major streetcorner in town and it's troubling. Not to mention how it must LOOK. Some of them have nailed themselves to these little pieces of territory for years. I can pretty much guarantee that these turkeys are making more money than I am! Cripes.

People write letters-to-the-editor frequently but nothing is done. I've written to my city councilperson and received no answer. Unless the City changes its actual laws, there's probably nothing even the police can do--unless the panhandler is actually committing a crime while hanging out there.

I think it's time to write (repeatedly, if need be) to the councilperson again. :angry2:

I used to work in downtown Memphis, and beggers/homeless/con men would wander in off the street with tales about how broke and hungry they were. I just got annoyed with thm for a while, but a priest friend of mine gave me a better suggestion: He said he kept a couple of cans of store brand tuna fish in his desk, and when someone wandered in claiming to be hungry, or to have a hungry family to feed, he'd give them a can or two of tuna. If they seemed grateful and asked for a fork to eat the tuna, he knew he'd helped someone who needed help. If they wrinkled their nose or still insisted they needed money, he didn't feel bad about sending them on their way.

I did that for a while, and it was pretty interesting to see the results. But then I found an even better solution. I snagged a bunch of my buddy's business cards (with his church address), and started telling bums to "come see me at my church office and we'll fix you up." I noticed my buddy didn't leave his business cards out on his desk after that!

BB

About 3 years ago, a local Atlanta TV channel did an under cover story where they taped this man for a week. First they had a guy stop at his cornor and tell him that he needed his house painted and would pay him $800.00. The begger refused to get in the truck. Later that same day they had a lady stop and give him $5.00 she asked him if he would cut her grass for $30.00 again he refuse to get in. That Friday night the under cover news team followed him to his car which was a BMW & then to his apartment. When he came out a few hours later he was all decked out in name brand stuff.

I was out on the town with a friend a few years back when he was confronted by one. The guy asked for $5, and my buddy said no. They guy got all upset and in his face as we were sitting on the edge of a planter. My normally mild-mannered friend did something I would have never thought he was capable of doing, and cold-cocked the guy right there. I got up to see if the guy was still breathing and said "Let's get out of here!" I will never look at that guy the same way again.

Good for him!!! Most people who actually need help will go to the shelters, soup kitchens, or known churches who offer aid to the homeless instead of standing on a street corner anyway. They will receive enough help there to hopefully get back on their feet. Those willing to fight their way back on their feet usually don't stay in the gutters long. That said, I take offers from people looking for odd jobs seriously and try to throw work their way.

In Houston, I had a woman come up and demand $75 to get her truck towed home - and got angry when I wouldn't giver her anything. Those jackasses don't dream small - another one asked for $10 for gas, and a different one for $16 for a fan belt.

In Houston, I had a woman come up and demand $75 to get her truck towed home - and got angry when I wouldn't giver her anything. Those jackasses don't dream small - another one asked for $10 for gas, and a different one for $16 for a fan belt.

It does make you appreciate the guys who are at least up front about it and ask for money for liquor.

It does make you appreciate the guys who are at least up front about it and ask for money for liquor.

I guess I am a sap since I give the panhandlers here cash all the time. Makes me feel good on an otherwise bad day.

Here in Chicago the panhandlers have a complete "underground" system in place throughout certain parts of the city. On the northside, where the majority of more "sympathetic" people live and suburbanites travel through, a seniority system is in place with cerain locations being claimed. The panhandlers each have their own territory and a time slot as to when they can beg for money. The ones who've been out on the street longer have seniority over the other guys and have first crack at the best intersections. They know which corners have the biggest payouts and what their peak hours are. It's a whole system in place and it kills me when I see people rolling down their windows and throwing cash at them. If I were to tell them they were being hustled, they'd call me insensitive and jaded.

A homeless person came up to me outside my church and asked for money for gas. I told her to follow me across the street where I would buy her a gas can and fill it with gas or asked if she had enough to get her vehicle to the station (literally 100yds away). She insisted that I just give her the cash. At that point I refused to give her the cash and realized she didn't have a car when I watched her walk a half a mile down the road to the next gas station.....

I guess it ends up hurting the people with real needs since guys like me don't give any money to anyone anymore because we've been spoiled on the deal by "fakes".

Thats not panhandling its a shakedown. Here in Norcal where so many are out of work right now we do have people who panhandle to survive.

City of St Petersburg, FL OUTLAWED panhandling! NICE.....

BUT, I have to drive just inside of Tampa to work, so now there's 3-4 on every corner just inside Tampa... LOL

Maybe we should start selling stickers for driver's side windows.... "No Soliciting... Violators will be shot."

Jeff

As you might imagine we have a SMALL problem with these folks in Cinci. I could fill a Metro bus in about 4 blocks. Most are annoying but harmless. Then you have the folks that make a problem and that is where I get to "give" back to the community. Sometimes, just sometimes, I love my job.