Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic vs. Choate extension, or lessons in being a cheapskate.

bkoenig

Well, I should have listened to the guys on here. I'm putting together a 930 for this season and decided to cheap out and go with the Choate extension. Big mistake. When I received it I was not impressed - the plastic end cap looks like it's a failure waiting to happen. I'd heard about the problems with the mag spring being way too long, and sure enough when I put it on the first round out of the tube wouldn't feed if I had a full tube. I cut the spring down one coil at a time, and now I'm at a point where it still won't feed most of the time, and often by the time it's down to the last round it doesn't have enough power to push the shell all the way onto the lifter.

I finally gave up tonight and ordered a Nordic +4 tube. I guess I'll chalk the Choate fiasco up as a $50 learning experience. Maybe I can sell it for 10 bucks or so (with full disclosure of how much it sucks). Oh well, other than that the gun is working great. Can't wait to shoot a match with it!

Edited by bkoenig

You'll have to cut the Nordic spring as well, just saying. I think something is wrong with the gun. Mossburg uses the Choate on the SPX model. I run the Nordic on my Benelli because I didn't want to cheap out on such a nice gun, but have used the Choate on everything else I've had, and they work as well as my Nordic.

You'll have to cut the Nordic spring as well, just saying. I think something is wrong with the gun. Mossburg uses the Choate on the SPX model. I run the Nordic on my Benelli because I didn't want to cheap out on such a nice gun, but have used the Choate on everything else I've had, and they work as well as my Nordic.

I wonder if my shell stop has some sort of problem? It doesn't look like there's a way to get it out of the gun, as far as I can tell. The pin that it pivots on appears to be driven into a blind hole.

I'm kind of wondering if there's a seam inside the Choate tube that's rough and making the spring hang up. When I screw it on it sounds like the spring is catching on something as the tube turns.

For what it's worth, I did take it out and shoot it, and it does feed the first round out of a full tube if I also load one in the chamber and shoot it. Apparently the bolt slamming back from firing imparts sufficient force to pop the shell stop loose. It stinks that I can't manually cycle it though.

If I can get the feeding problems resolved I'm really going to like this gun. I shot some slugs tonight and it put my first 3 through the same hole at 25 yards with the IC choke.

I've not had this problem on my 930, but I've read reports that the junction between the mag tube and the Choate extension has caused problems. Something to do with the Choate tube being slightly larger than the 930's mag tube. Like I've said, I've not had this problem. I have noticed that the two parts that did cause problems were the extractor and the shell stop. I had to take the extractor out and polish it a bit, but like you I've found no way to get the shell stop out to polish it. I make really sure that I've cleaned the shell stop with lots of brake cleaner and lots of compressed air. Blows crap everywhere, but seems to work.

EDIT 'cuz I STILL can't type!!! :angry:

Edited by VinceU1

Yes, the gun I T&E ed for Mossberg had shell stop issues, so it is very possible yours does too. In my case it would let the shell out too soon feeding it out under the lifter that was trying to come down. It needs a new shell stop spring, and from the sounds of it so does yours. It takes a special tool to remove and when I sent mine back, it went with a note about it. Don't know the out come.

Benny also has figured out how to remove it and then make it so it can be replaced at home, might give him a ring. KurtM

Edited by kurtm

Your comments are a bit unfair. I've been running Choate extensions on my shotguns since 1983, and they have NEVER let me down. Choate is a decent company with a no-frills product that generally works. If there is a specific problem with the Mossberg version, why not call them and give them a chance to make it right.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Your comments are a bit unfair. I've been running Choate extensions on my shotguns since 1983, and they have NEVER let me down. Choate is a decent company with a no-frills product that generally works. If there is a specific problem with the Mossberg version, why not call them and give them a chance to make it right.

I may have been a little hard on Choate, I'll admit I was very frustrated. With that said, I received my Nordic extension today and it works great. My feeding problems are resolved. Now the only thing holding me back is my lack of skill!

I had a Choate extension on my 930 and never had a problem with it in the 1000 rounds I shot through it.

Sounds more like the marketing guys at Nordic are earning their money with you ;)

Honestly, I would normally agree with you. But switching out from a Choate to a Nordic tube solved my feeding problems. It's entirely possible I had a bad Choate tube, and very likely I jumped the gun in badmouthing them. I'm sure they make a lot of very good components. But I can't deny the fact that after switching to a Nordic tube my shotgun now feeds perfectly.

After comparing the two tubes I think a big difference is in the end of the tube where it mates to the existing mag tube. The Choate is just a blunt tube, but the Nordic has a beveled edge built into the "nut" that mates to the factory tube. My uneducated guess is that the bevel on the Nordic tube helps the follower transition smoothly between the extension and factory tube.

Also, and this is completely unscientific and completely based on my own flawed hands on analysis, but the Nordic spring does seem more linear. When I stuff an entire mag full of shells into the shotgun it doesn't seem to get a lot stiffer towards the end. The Choate got really stiff on the last one or two shells.

So, in the final analysis, does the Nordic tube have an extra $25 worth of materials and machine work put into it? I would say no. It does definitely have more attention to detail and is better engineered. Is it worth an extra $25 to me to have my shotgun feed reliably? Absolutely yes. I think Nordic is a little overpriced, but in the end it's worth it.

I would guess my particular shotgun had some problems that were probably exaggerated by the Choate tube. I apologize to Choate if I was too hard on them, I know a lot of guys have had good results with their tubes. Heck, I've put an el Cheapo Tacstar extension on a shotgun before and it ran like a raped ape. All in all, though, I think I'll stick with Nordic the next time I build up a shotgun for 3-gun or home defense use. Might as well buy the best and not worry about it.

Edited by bkoenig