Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Setup you Benelli M1 or M2 for 3 Gun

Jesse Tischauser

What is the aprox cost of all these upgrades? seems like you could double the cost of the gun...

If you get a ton of expensive parts but normally should be no more than $300-400 for most upgrades. My gunsmith did mine for about that much and he welded the carrier, opened the well, the tube and polished it, drilled and tapped for release and put it on, took off the older stuff, put new springs in, put in an oversized safety and worked the safety, drilled and tapped the front sight, and a few other small things...I already had a lightened bolt from another guy and I was ready. I'm doing the same thing to my M2 this week with him. If you need contact info, I can send it to you...

The parts I listed in the first post cost about $300-400 without labor. What r u leaving out?

Yeah, you are right. However, I was saying "most" of the parts that really help the shotgun run better/more comfortable should be less. That is a great list, by the way! And you're right, the bolt does look awesome!

Have you ever tried the Hi Viz Four-in-One sight set? I'm thinking of putting that on my M2

The only thing you really need on this list is the mag extension. Well you don't even need that if you can load really fast. The 2nd thing most people need is the lifter weleded. Those two can be done for $120 last time I checked.

I have 2-3 different fiber optic beads on my 4 Benellis. The one I personally like best is the one I listed. I am nto sure if I have the one you mention or not. Post a link so we can check it out.

Thanks!

Here it is... http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=639204

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good or bad comments about these sights for the Benelli M2??

Thanks!

Here it is... http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=639204

Yes, they are rifle sights, you have a shotgun!

Keep it a shotgun; get a good solid fiber optic ft. bead and youre good!

I was thinking about adjustments for slugs, thought this would do the trick when I do shoot them - which isn't often. That's why I like these, you can remove the rear sight easily when you are not shooting slugs. Am I going about this wrong? Thanks

Any good or bad comments about these sights for the Benelli M2??

Thanks!

Here it is... http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=639204

Yes, they are rifle sights, you have a shotgun!

Keep it a shotgun; get a good solid fiber optic ft. bead and youre good!

I was thinking about adjustments for slugs, thought this would do the trick when I do shoot them - which isn't often. That's why I like these, you can remove the rear sight easily when you are not shooting slugs. Am I going about this wrong? Thanks

If you're gun doesn't shot slugs to POA then send it to Benny Hill to have the barrel bent to POA or buy another one and sell the one you have. You won't shoot slugs enough to want to mess with putting on and taking off a rear sight. You are not usually allowed to add or subtract sights during a match.

Thanks...

I wasn't thinking of adding them during the match but before it starts since they always list what shot/slug must be used during the CoF for that match. Besides, the front sight portion of this Hi Viz looks like most other F/O front sights so I don't see the disadvantage here and it's the same price as most other front sights alone. Do you have another suggestion besides the Comp?

If you need to adjust you POA a lot to match your POI then you need to bend the barrel to make them match. If there is only a minumal difference. i.e 3" low left at 50 yards then just hold for that POI during the a match. Typically you will not see targets smaller than a B/C zone or a full size IPSC target at distances greater than 50 yards. So you will not need to add a rear sight to help adjust for windage with such a generous target presentation. If you have trouble hitting that size targer without the use of a rear sight the most popular rear sights are the ones I mentioned above. The XS big dot V sight dovetailed into the rib or a flip up/down 10/22 sight. The rear sight is used so infrequently compared to the front sight you really don't want a rear sight if you can help it. The reason being is that having to align a front and rear sight to make high speed shots at close range targets with birdshot will be much slower.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Ok, I'm an old fart and will claim short term memory loss... you would have eventually cut your mag spring back to 13inches over installed length of tube and arrived at what Benny really recommended....

Alaskapopo.... I had problems with a loaded side saddle on a 21inch M1S90 in cold weather... I perceive the problem to be a combination of gun lube and the extra mass of the side saddle not allowing enough recoil impulse...3dram 1 1/8 shot worked, 1oz reduced recoil slugs stumbled at Ft Benning in 28F weather....have changed gun lube, added additional mag spring and removed the side saddle...I don't normally see 28F weather here in Florida

I got my C-Rums welded lifter today (just the lifter) and after figuring out the mechanics of my trigger assembly the hard way... :surprise: I am so much happier with this lifter. Spent a half hour on weak hand loading without taking off any skin! If anyone ever needs help putting their own welded lifter on, you can PM me for detailed instructions (the ones I never found).

CM

Alaskapopo.... I had problems with a loaded side saddle on a 21inch M1S90 in cold weather... I perceive the problem to be a combination of gun lube and the extra mass of the side saddle not allowing enough recoil impulse...3dram 1 1/8 shot worked, 1oz reduced recoil slugs stumbled at Ft Benning in 28F weather....have changed gun lube, added additional mag spring and removed the side saddle...I don't normally see 28F weather here in Florida

Thanks I have never loaded it full yet. I usually just stick a few on there in case I run out of shells in my caddies.

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

I do not have a welded carrier either. No thumb problems ever, not to say never could happen. 100 percent stock M1, only mods are a Nordic tube and follower. My extractor is very worn and needs to be replaced however

Necropost, thanks Jesse for starting this useful topic.

I used to wonder at the thumb complaints, I have never had any problems with my stock older 1990-ish M1S90. But with a new-to-me M1 I am setting up for competition I noticed the carrier was changed sometime and now has a much more agressive front, that I would see causing problems.

Top is the new one (2000s), bottom is the older one (early 1990s).

IMAG0500Large.jpg

• 1 month later...

For a Benelli to be "Race Ready", it needs a longer tube, a welded up carrier if you load weak hand, and a bit better front sight

It doesn't need the welded carrier either. I've had too many problems with welded carriers, so I just use a stock one now. And yes I do load weak hand.

would you please elaborate on what specific problems you encountered with a welded carrier?

For a Benelli to be "Race Ready", it needs a longer tube, a welded up carrier if you load weak hand, and a bit better front sight

It doesn't need the welded carrier either. I've had too many problems with welded carriers, so I just use a stock one now. And yes I do load weak hand.

would you please elaborate on what specific problems you encountered with a welded carrier?

I've read here some complain about reliability issues with welded carriers. I have welded carriers on both my M1 and M2 and never had an issue. It's also much more comfortable to reload.

That's an interesting picture. Are the carriers interchangeable between the M1 and M2?

And dang it--someone just tell me if I want a 21" or 24"! I'm at the point now of just flipping a coin. I've been waffling back and forth, and can't decide.

Edited by RAZZ

That's an interesting picture. Are the carriers interchangeable between the M1 and M2?

And dang it--someone just tell me if I want a 21" or 24"! I'm at the point now of just flipping a coin. I've been waffling back and forth, and can't decide.

I believe the carriers are interchangeable. Get the 21" it's lighter and feels lighter out at the barrel which makes it swing faster.

I believe the carriers are interchangeable. Get the 21" it's lighter and feels lighter out at the barrel which makes it swing faster.

That's all I needed. Thanks!

Is there any way to put a F/O front sight on an 18" bbl M1 S90 tactical? I was looking to get a longer field barrel for it but the $450+ price was a bit of a shock.

Hi-viz makes a fiber optic insert for the rifle front sight, but other than that, there isn't an easy way to mount a fiber to that gun.

It doesnt need the welded carrier either. Ive had too many problems with welded carriers so I just use a stock one now. And yes I do load weak hand.

I want to see a picture of your left thumb.

I load weak hand with a standard lifter as well and I dont think I've ever had my thumb get stuck...

Maybe we California boys just have girlier thumbs? :)

• 3 months later...

Glad I found this thread. I am soon to be the proud owner of a new M2. I am on a budget so knowing what I 'have' to do is great.

IceDevil, Hi Viz makes a couple of sights specifically for the tactical guns including a 'snap on', see

http://www.hivizsights.com/products/shotgun-sights/plain-barrel.html

Can I get some clarification on the Slug POA POI stuff?

I am hearing about bending the barrel (sounds extreme and expensive) but also the Hi Viz Tri Comp sight, or I also see a Hi Viz turkey sight with windage and elevation adjustment the Tri Viz sight.

I also saw the 4 in 1 and that looks pretty cool.

I guess the first thing I need to do is get the gun on the range and check out a few slug rounds and see what I have to work with before making any sight choices. (did I just answer my own question?)

Thanks for all the info. I would love to just send it to Benny but since I stepped up my initial purchase from a 930 to the Benelli I am going to have to step lightly with the modifications for now,

Mike

It doesnt need the welded carrier either. Ive had too many problems with welded carriers so I just use a stock one now. And yes I do load weak hand.

I load weak hand with a standard lifter as well and I dont think I've ever had my thumb get stuck...

It only happens when you load really fast. Lol! Sorry dood I couldn't help myself.

It only happens when you load really fast. Lol! Sorry dood I couldn't help myself.

Nice! On the same note, I was at a local 3G match last Saturday and one of the guys there made the same comment. Right after that, on the first stage, he snagged his thumb on the lifter/loading port and cut it up pretty good along with a nice bruise. Better to be safe than sorry :)