Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Happens If...

Lets keep this open to any rule set - lets say there is a rifle/pistol stage where you start with a rifle, ground it, and shoot your pistol to finish the stage.

If your rifle has a death jam, cannot be unloaded (without tools), and cannot be taken off of safe (without tools) - which rulesets is it against to keep the rifle in one hand and finish the stage with your pistol in the other hand? (Assuming both weapons are handled safely)

As far as I know, if you've grounded the rifle described above - once you've moved three feet from it, it is a DQ in any ruleset.

Edited by DyNo!

Well if its a USPSA match, I could see it being treated like a squib on a pistol and your pretty much done with that stage. Outlaw? u might get lucky and have a understanding RO who would just give you only penalties for missed/un-engaged rifle targets, presuming you make the rifle safe as possible.

if the cof description states "ground the rifle here" then you have not followed the course description and can earn quite a few procedurals or unsportsmanlike penalties. as a MD if you explained to me why you did it, I might be inclined to give some leeway.

trapr

I could not find that it was prohibited in the USPSA rules only rule

#MG 5.1.9:

Competitors may be required to carry more than one firearm at a time, but

must never be required or allowed to use more than one firearm at a time.

And I could be wrong )don't think I am( but the "Unsportsman penalty" is a DQ & you don't want it.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I could not find that it was prohibited in the USPSA rules only rule

#MG 5.1.9:

Competitors may be required to carry more than one firearm at a time, but

must never be required or allowed to use more than one firearm at a time.

And I could be wrong )don't think I am( but the "Unsportsman penalty" is a DQ & you don't want it.

I'm a bit confused by this, does this mean you can't engage targets with your pistol with a long gun slinged?

I passed my USPSA multi-gun RO exam , and I remember the response , but I will have to follow up with the rite USPSA rule

Remember USPSA is less than 1/2 of the 3gun events

USPSA rule is that you can not re-sling a rifle or shotgun during a stage.

the rule # 8.5.2 The re-slinging of a rifle during a course of fire is prohibited.from the rifle rule book

The sets of rules about abandoning a gun when a dump location has been built & moving down range is long

But if something like a table with sides is provided and the shooter places the gun on the ground -near- the table and moves more than 1 yard away down range of the gun ,= its a DQ

I could cut and paste but it would be more than a page.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Thanks for the advice - I feel this is something that should be addressed since it happened to me last weekend.

Fortunately though, it was during a fun match on the last stage and the firearm could not even be cleared on the line.

I'll have a rifle that is good to go soon enough so hopefully it won't happen to me again.

Edited by DyNo!

As far as I know, if you've grounded the rifle described above - once you've moved three feet from it, it is a DQ in any ruleset.

If you were shooting under ACTS rules transitioning to your pistol to shoot the rifle targets you hadn't shot yet, then finishing the stage would be acceptable as long as you didn't break the 180. I hate moving with a slung long gun across the front so I generally hold it in my support hand and shoot pistol one handed. Unfortunately, ACTS is only currently in AZ and MI so you probably won't run into it.

It would depend on the condition you are required to leave the rifle in according to the WSB. (see rule 10.5.3.2)

The condition you have described "is" a safe condition... "loaded with safety on".

If the abandon condition in the WSB is "unloaded" and you continue on past the ditch area trying to complete the pistol part of the stage, first I'd think WTF? :surprise:

Then I would watch you like a hawk for unsafe gun handling, muzzle direction, etc...

If you made it to ULASC without a safety infraction, I would give you a procedural for not following the WSB.

The following rule allows you to carry more than one firearm.

MG 5.1.9: Competitors may be required to carry more than one firearm at a time, but must never be required or allowed to use more than one firearm at a time.

PS. I believe it was a USPSA match, as there was a classifier included.

There is no prohibition on this practice in the latest IMA/SMM3G rules. As the WSB usually stipulates abandoning the firearm, you would likely be subject to a procedural penalty, possibly per shot fired if it was deemed a competitive advantage. Otherwise, as long as all firearms were handled safely I don't see a problem.

By the way, nothing in the IMA rules gives you a 3-foot "grace distance" before the gun is deemed to be abandoned, although obviously the practical application of this rule varies from range to range. If I am holding the timer, and I see FOR SURE that you put a firearm down in an unsafe condition, you are DQd the moment your body breaks contact with it. Now, in practice I might want to double-check, so if you are quick you might have a chance to "confirm" it is safe before I get there ;)

USPSA rule is that you can not re-sling a rifle or shotgun during a stage.

the rule # 8.5.2 The re-slinging of a rifle during a course of fire is prohibited.from the rifle rule book

I think this USPSA rule is more about course design than shooter conduct. The course of fire is required to have a safe manner to dump the gun and can not require the shooter to sling back up. I can not imagine s shooter who would think it quicker to resling the gun to finish the stage than to put the gun on safe and insert it in the dump barrel.