Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pushing low velocities from my AR

GorillaTactical

Chrono-ed my rifle today, and found that I was pushing a velocity much slower than I anticipated. My AR has a 16" barrel, is chambered in .223, and I fired several different ammo types. Only one brand (Monarch 55grn) was able to come in over 2800 fps @ 2830 on average. NOTE: I do run a JP adjustable gas block (idk if this would lower velocity if my adjustment is tightened down....doesn't make sense that it would, but I thought I'd mention it).

Wolf/Brown Bear (55 grn) - 2700

Hornady Tap (60 grn) - 2575 (the box suggests that 2863fps should be the average velocity through a 16" barrel)

PPU Match (69 grn) - 2500

Monarch Brass Cased (55 grn) - 2830 (I was able to shoot this @ 2-3" groups at 200)

HotShot/PPU (55 grn) - 2750

Remington from the Green/White Box (55 grn) - 2700

Are these velocities typical???

I know the chrono was fine because I shot a buddy's rifle through it and it came in where expected (most ammo above 2800)

Edited by GorillaTactical

My results

16" Sabre Mid legth

Fed American Eagle 55 gr Velocity 2650

Fed XM 193 55 grn 3042

Bushmaster 16” Carbine Gas system

Federal American Eagle .223 FMJBT Velocity 3050

Edited by mhearn

Those velocities are about the norm for a 16" barrel for factory ammo. An adjustable gas block will not have any negligible effect on velocity.

Federal XM193 NATO spec ammo will run about 2900-3000

PMC Bronze shoots about 2650 out of my 16" gun and 55 gr. Rem/UMC runs about 2750

My 55 gr. hand loads run 2900 and my 69SMK load runs 2750.

I would say your results are pretty typical, first, most manufacturers velocities are optimistic and done thru 24" barrel rifles. second, a 16" gun can lose quite a bit of velocity. I don't think the gas block is the cause, do you have past results to compare to??? or are you simply going with what you thought it should be doing or what the manuf. said it should do??

trapr

I would say your results are pretty typical, first, most manufacturers velocities are optimistic and done thru 24" barrel rifles. second, a 16" gun can lose quite a bit of velocity. I don't think the gas block is the cause, do you have past results to compare to??? or are you simply going with what you thought it should be doing or what the manuf. said it should do??

trapr

Going on what I thought it would be, this is my first time running my rifle through a chrono. I was under the impression that manufacturer specs were for a 20" barrel so that is where my mistake is.

So, understanding that I can't handload yet (don't have the space), would you guys suggestion finding some hotter factory ammo such as the xm??? Or should I just go with the lower velocity and compensate for the bullet drop?

*Thanks for the responses so far

Edited by GorillaTactical

Find an ammo that reliably cycles the gun and gives acceptable accuracy. XM193 usually does both and has good velocity. Just remember it is designed to be shot out of a 5.56mm chamber. Shooting non SAAMI NATO spec ammo out of a .223 chamber could result in blown primers or possibly a separated case.

Black Hills blue box 55 gr. usually produces great accuracy at about 2800fps from a 16" barrel

Gorilla - Thanks for the post, I had not even thought about power factor. My 18" Sabre gets just under 3000 fps with the 55gr PMC Bronze and my twin reloads (they hit same poi) are 2918 which works out ot 160pf, 150 pf is the requirement right? My 69GR SMK's are 2682 or 180pf and when you shoot them you can tell they are a little stouter. Groups are tiny. I've tried higher velocity but the groups started spreading.

Not sure which ones are going to the Texas 2-Gun yet, still want to do some testing out to 400 yards or more. :blink:

I may be wrong, but I don't think that you are seeing unreasonable results for a 16" barrel. That length is more typical for a 5.56 while I think that most .223 ammo is rated based on a 20" or 24" barrel. 5.56 ammo is often hotter (higher pressure) than .223 as well. For a 16" barrel, you are going to need to find a load that uses a fairly fast powder for it all to burn in the barrel.

Hmm, You said JP Gas block, so I'm guessing its a JP rifle? how many rounds have you shot through the barrel?

Not a JP, custom build...has approx 2000 rounds through it

Black Hills blue box 55 gr. usually produces great accuracy at about 2800fps from a 16" barrel

Thanks for the suggestion 00, will pick some up and try it out

Gorilla - Thanks for the post, I had not even thought about power factor. My 18" Sabre gets just under 3000 fps with the 55gr PMC Bronze and my twin reloads (they hit same poi) are 2918 which works out ot 160pf, 150 pf is the requirement right? My 69GR SMK's are 2682 or 180pf and when you shoot them you can tell they are a little stouter. Groups are tiny. I've tried higher velocity but the groups started spreading.

Not sure which ones are going to the Texas 2-Gun yet, still want to do some testing out to 400 yards or more. :blink:

150 is minimum pf for rifle.

make sure you do your LR testing b4 the T2G devil.gif

Here's a question for yall.......I shot this the day of the massive snow when it was approx 30 degrees out...would the change in temp have effected my velocity?

Today I rechronoed it and it came in at 2960 with the Monarch ammo which had averaged 2830 last week. Same box, same set up, etc etc etc. My group was also impacting way high...approx 8" high at 100 yards...

Temperature can affect velocity, particularly with the cheaper powders used in cheaper ammo. Some powders are reputed to be less temperature-sensitive than others. If you start reloading, you might want to use those temperature-insensitive powders (the new IMR 8208XBR comes to mind).