Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

backup gun or ammo?

glocklover

I have a backup to my G34. I have a back up to the backup, and multiple back ups to those as well.

I've never needed the backups, ever. Well, once, when I FORGOT TO BRING the primary, but, naturally, I forgot the backup too. :D

Buy components for ammo. Buy replacement spare parts for the Glock when you can afford to, but buy, make ammo and shoot first. Oh, and I roll my own. If you are conscientious, you shouldn't have an ammo related blow up, and, as pointed out above, Glocks are NOT prone to catastrophic failures with reasonable ammo.

How long have you been shooting?

Long enough to have not so gracefully aged into my club's official curmudgeon (durn young whippersnappers, what's the deal with the holes in the barrels and slides...?). Naw, not quite. But long enough to see my kid and my fellow shooters' kids grow and go off to college, freeing up the old men to totter around the range, trying to relive their glory days. Call it 15 or 17 years.

I have a backup to my G34. I have a back up to the backup, and multiple back ups to those as well.

I've never needed the backups, ever. Well, once, when I FORGOT TO BRING the primary, but, naturally, I forgot the backup too. :D

Buy components for ammo. Buy replacement spare parts for the Glock when you can afford to, but buy, make ammo and shoot first. Oh, and I roll my own. If you are conscientious, you shouldn't have an ammo related blow up, and, as pointed out above, Glocks are NOT prone to catastrophic failures with reasonable ammo.

Kevin, you are too funny! Come shoot with us on Feb 13 out at Solano...... :cheers: Kent

If I can remember...Gotta take my ginkgo pills.

Reload ammo instead of buying it. It'll pay for itself in the first thousand rounds, and you can easily justify a backup gun with the cost savings (unless, of course, you do like everyone else and just shoot 4x as much instead of saving 75% on your ammo! :roflol::cheers: )

I took my unused Glock 17 and made it into a backup/practice gun because I get free brass nearly every time I practice. Of course, I reload.

I do not want to pay for the brass to practice with my STI 38 super. This brass is expensive.

As has been said before, if you're careful with your reloading, which should be a given, you'll be fine. Glocks are tanks, and for every story about a kaboom or whathaveyou, there are countless ones about double charges NOT blowing the gun up. Just pay attention, and go with what you've got.

Depending on your powder, it's pretty dang hard to double charge a 9mm case. With HP38 and minimum charge, the case will literally be full to the rim. Power pistol at a minimum charge will overflow the case. If you place a bullet on a case that full, you deserve to KB your gun. :devil:

Visually check EVERY CASE, EVERY TIME for the right amount of powder, and you'll be fine. My only regret with reloading is that I didn't start sooner.

You may need a back-up gun if your gun fails at a match (can't always fix guns at a match), glocks don't fail much but if you run a limited glock and do a lot of up grades(mods) then you may run into trouble. If you leave the glock stock it should work well.

Ammo = stock gun

Extra gun = modified limited or open gun

The only way you can run into problems with kaboom and reloads is powder. (case failure also in rare cases, but that is not going to kill your gun in most cases)

No powder = squib = possible kaboom if you shoot again.

double powder = kaboom

Watch your powder and use a dense powder n320 is hard to double (two 5.0g loads will fill a case to the top)

My understanding is that many of the Glock kabooms are related to shooting lead bullets in the stock barrel.

I do not agree. What I have research is that most of the time it's a double charge. It's always a reload. Never a factory ammo.

Most KB's in most guns probably do involve reloaded ammunition, and most of those are over pressure loads, likely double charges. That's not to say, though, that an over pressure situation can't occur outside that scenario. I, for one, blew up a gun because of a common competition load that was way too short. I also find the evidence convincing that shooting lead bullets through an OEM Glock barrel can (please note I did not say always) cause severe leading and overpressure, and that you load such bullets at your own risk. There's a very recent thread here about exactly such a KB. So I would say a reasonable reloader should be cautious when considering lead bullets in Glock bbls.

Edited by kevin c

GUN - AMMO

Opinions are like EARS & REARS, everyone has one or two.

Buy a .22 LR like a Ruger 22-45 Mk lll 5" barrel to practice with. Grip angle is close to a 1911 or Glock.

A Red Dot is helpful to work on trigger control, one of the biggies to improve your skill.

We can buy .22 ammo here for about $25 per box of 500. (Shoot PLATED aMMO easier on pistol, easier to clean.)

You can burn a lot of ammo, work on trigger control and proper grip, don't develop bad habits their hard to break.

Be SAFE<

Perry

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ended up buying another Glock and I'm sure glad that I did because I had to send in my frame to have it repaired. Glock said it would take 6-8 weeks to get back to me.

You must have ESP... were you experiencing issues with your original Glock... just about everyone including myself were saying buy ammo, reload, don't worry about the gun...wierd. I have had the same G34 for 6 years and have countless rounds through it and still haven't even given a backup gun a second thought.