Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mail

TM262

Weird, my wife got a letter in the same shape yesterday. This is what happens when your letter is in a truck that was in an accident, or the sorting machine eats it. It happens, but it still sucks. Hopefully there wasn't any money or a check in it. :(

I work at the post office ( as a vehicle mechanic) and this happens very rarely. And yes, it's usually a vehicle accident. The machines are so high tech that it's rare they eat mail. In my experience anyway. Sorry it happened to you.

It's been my experience over the years that sorting machines can do a lot of damage and that things get STUCK in the machinery for a long time, too... and lost... or not found for months. I've received the "little plastic envelope" a time or two (or three), and had to place a trace on a gun magazine subscription a few years back... only to have the magazine later retrieved (looked like a dog had played hard with it), with a note about getting stuck in the machinery. It happens.

I just got one of those back last week. I mailed out the electric bill, and got it back with a bite out of it that included the address of the electric company. So it came back home at least.

What really annoys me is that they charge you the stamp to get it eaten, then you have to put another stamp on the next one!

I just got one of those back last week. I mailed out the electric bill, and got it back with a bite out of it that included the address of the electric company. So it came back home at least.

What really annoys me is that they charge you the stamp to get it eaten, then you have to put another stamp on the next one!

Next time that happens, I'm taking it back there to see if they'll put a new stamp on a new envelope.

Years ago, I got a notice from my mortage company that my payment was late. I told them I had sent it in before it was due and they suggested I put a stop payment on the check and send another, which I did. About a year later, I recieved the check and envelope back - from the post office. It seems someone had stolen a bunch of mail and my mortgage check was part of it. The post office had held it as evidence until after the trial, and then returned it to me. Sure was nice of them to let me know... :angry2:

I send all my monthly bill payments electronically thru my credit union. It is not an "autodraft", rather I pick who, when, where.

If no electronic system for the receiving party (now, only the trash man for me), the post office mails a check for me. Doesn't cost me a penny extra, in fact, I don't even have to buy a stamp, or waste a check. takes all of 5 minutes total each month to pay ALL of my bills. no gas, no stamps, no envelopes, no hassle, just click who I want to pay, and type the amount, then, presto!

Might want to check into it, for those of you who haven't yet, your banking establishment might offer such services for free. :cheers:

Years ago, I got a notice from my mortgage company that my payment was late. I told them I had sent it in before it was due and they suggested I put a stop payment on the check and send another, which I did. About a year later, I received the check and envelope back - from the post office. It seems someone had stolen a bunch of mail and my mortgage check was part of it. The post office had held it as evidence until after the trial, and then returned it to me. Sure was nice of them to let me know... :angry2:

the worst part about this story...is that it doesn't surprise me at all.

I work at the post office ( as a vehicle mechanic) and this happens very rarely. And yes, it's usually a vehicle accident. The machines are so high tech that it's rare they eat mail. In my experience anyway. Sorry it happened to you.

I spent four years working on them. They eat plenty of mail. Relatively speaking, however, it's a very small percentage compared to the amount of mail that is processed through those machines.

Use electronic bill pay and this won't ever happen.

It's surprising to me that anyone in the modern era will send a check in the mail. I don't do it unless I have to--way too risky to have your account number out there like that.