Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are factory sights so "bad"

I've been trying to soak up as much info as I can around here. Last few days has been new sights. I know I don't like what I have on most of my pistols and I went through the advice here about have "light bars" on either side. being a math/engineer guy I went and got my caliper and measured all of my current pistols. Not a single one was setup to have any "light bars" All of them seem to be set up for precise alignment/zero light bars. Even the "combat" pistols like beretta 92 (mine is a 96), 1991A1, and Makarov.

is this just a function of the factory default?

The main reason I want to do competitive shooting is I want to develop real-world skill. Now I realize open guns are not CCW guns, but I am a long way from being that specialized and I would think that fast target acquisition would be such a cross-over skill and yet every pistol I have seems to be setup for "target" slow-fire with very slow target acquisition.

Is there any pistol that comes with decent sights or is just going to be default that I need to get new ones for competitive shooting (and thus CCW). And shouldn't the competitive picture sight transfer to "real world" sight or is there a reason to do something else (which may be beyond the scope of the boards--I'm trying to ask, shouldn't my "competitive sight picture" by my "sight picture" in general--there is no need to compartmentalize between sport and "real-world"

You can definitely still go shoot a match and have a good time with factory sights but a majority of shooters use after market sights. One of the biggest downfalls of most factory sights (I'm speaking from Glock experience) is that you can't adjust for elevation, you can only give them a whack for windage adjustments.

You guessed it -- factory sights generally suck.

Ask around at your next match. People in this sport usually love to show off their toys and I'm sure you can test drive some with more appropriate sights.

You guessed it -- factory sights generally suck.

Ask around at your next match. People in this sport usually love to show off their toys and I'm sure you can test drive some with more appropriate sights.

Not to get off topic but that's a handsome dog! Dogs are one of the few things I like better than guns....

Think of the the light bars as information about your sight picture. The more light the more information, it takes more skill to process more information. So imho factory sights give less light and information as to be suitable for all skill sets . This is my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it. :P Now my carry gun has a wide rear and lets in alot of light not exactly like my limited gun but pretty close.

Hi,

the factory sights on pretty much all guns give most competitive shooters grief.

I don't know if it's true that most buyers don't put a lot of emphasis on getting in tune with their gun and never know the difference between one sight picture and the other. Or factories are aware that those buyers who care rip the cruddy sight nubs off and replace them with something more visible.

I think in Glock's case it's because the "target sights" they sell them with bring extra points toward the permission to import them.

On your question regarding competition vs. carry sights, my thinking is that in competition, a large, easily detectable sight that stands out in daylight, will probably be the ticket, e.g. tall front post or patridge sight, with or without F/O.

If you're looking at an all-purpose gun, you may have a preference for sights that don't snag, rounded or beveled, perhaps with an aid for night time sight pictures, i.e. tritium dots or a laser-thingy.

You will probably notice that once you have figured out your competition sight picture, assuming it's iron sights, the skill transfers to your other guns automatically. No worries about switching back and forth, it's green apples and red apples.

There are a few manufacturers that have really nice sights on some of their guns, though. STI is a good example. Some of the black HK sights are very nice, too.

Good luck finding what suits your fancy!

Not to get off topic but that's a handsome dog! Dogs are one of the few things I like better than guns....

Mark's avatar pic is of Daddy, who was one of Cesar Milan's rescues....wonderful, sweet dog! I would hate to have to choose between guns and dogs, but I'd have to stick with the pups.

On topic, I think that you'll find most of us here are using narrower front sights with rear notches that aren't terribly large, although some folks do prefer a really wide rear notch.

I have .090-.110" wide front sights on all of my match guns, and rear notches from .115" to .150"...I seem to shoot all of them about the same. Unfortunately, I can't change the sights on my carry guns, or I would. Standard Glock Trijicon sights...they work well, but the front is way too wide, and it slows me down. R,

Mark's avatar pic is of Daddy, who was one of Cesar Milan's rescues....wonderful, sweet dog! I would hate to have to choose between guns and dogs, but I'd have to stick with the pups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_(dog)

I know what you mean about the Beretta.

If it is a regular Beretta, you're stuck with the integral front sight.

I went with the Brig Inox models. So far I have swapped out just one with a Dawson Precision fiber optic front.

Unfortunately, that isn't even as skinny as I would like. I would like a 90 thousandths.... 0.090" wide one.

To answer the question, my guess is the gun business is like any other...drop the bottom line to increase profits.