Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Gun Breakage II

kevin c

My first poll gave us a rough sense of what has actually broken on Limited guns during matches. My hope was to figure out what I might need to bring to a match to keep my gun running, based on people's actual experience. Thanks to all contributors.

This poll is meant to make up for a omission in the first - who HASN'T had a breakage. The first poll, of course, is biased in that all responses are from people who had an adverse experience. But I would like to get a (rough) sense of just what percentage of match goers that actually represents. For practical purposes (does it happen at all, and is therefore worth preventing by bringing spare guns or parts), even once is enough.

So, everybody, including of course, those who voted in the last poll, please say yeah or nay.

TIA

Kevin C.

The breakage I had was a total slide lock probably caused by poor gunsmithing when fitting a Briley linkless ramped barrel in a 1911. I say probably because the frame I received after the barrel replacement was not the same one I gave them. I gave them a Colt Stainless Steel Series 80 Target Model and got back an Essex SS frame with an explaination of "we made an oops". I had a real gunsmith replace the frame with a Caspian frame and a Schuemann Classic AET barrel and it has not manfunctioned in the last 3000 rounds.

I voted NO, I was able to repair the breakdown during the match.

PS. I see, Wile E. rules! ;)

Thanks for the clarification, Henny, though I'd probably say that you'd be a yes, assuming you needed to or could have replaced what broke.

Mebbe we could start a club... :P

My sob story is I had a link break at a local match, instantly converting my Para to a single shot. Not fun in 40 degree raining weather. Hand stripped a 30 round stage, cutting myself on the BoMar in the process.

Curriously however, I'm the only person I've ever seen who's had that problem. Not a common one, but a potentially match ending if you don't have a spare.

I broke a guide rod once, but I didnt know it untill I went to clean the gun after the match. :D I guess it hinder my match. The other time was wen i was messing around with my sear spign the night before and when I went to the match the hammer started to follow. my bad. :blink: Luckly I had a spare. that only cost me one stage.

The spring on my Aftec extractor decided to quite after only 6K rounds. Luckily for me, one of the guys in my squad had some extra springs, and seemed to solve the problem. Of course the gun had to die on the highest point value stage of the match. <_<

Have seen about all of them at one time or another. Shooting since '77. Early comp jumped a thread, could not go into battery; tab on bushing snapped off launching guide rod down range, several rear sights, lots of extractors, several shock buff mishaps, broken firing pin tip, ejector came loose, you get the drift.

However, lots of things can and do go wrong shooting that many rounds. You cannot anticipate them all.

Moral, carry a spare pistol...