Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best used cars that I can work on.

I've been a Toyota fan since I bought my first one in 1977. Yep, 1977. I've had other cars at the same time but I haven't been without a Toyota since.

After I'd had the first one for a few years, somebody asked me if it was hard to find parts. I said I didn't know because I never needed any. ;)

Now I only have Toyota's. I drive a 1997 4-Runner with 145,000 miles and my wife drives a 2002 Highlander with 165,000 miles. I wouldn't be afraid to start cross country in either.

If it was me I would buy a 1990s Toyota of whatever body style you like and just drive it for 10 years or so. :cheers: I had a 1990 Camry with a V-6 and a 5 speed that was almost as much fun to drive as the Supra I had at the time. :D

Maybe...as much as it would make you feel great to give the new car to your youngest...they might really get a lot out of getting their first post-grad. job and buying their own ?

You would be embarrassed of this statement if you were fully aware of the particulars. ;) I may well be mis-reading it but it is a tad presumptuous...no?

Jim

Presumptuous ? Huh?

I get to see some new hires that are freshly graduated. Some seem to enjoy the process of becoming independent (< not sure if that is the right word). Newly graduated, new job, making their way on their own more and more... And, that is just a general statement, not meant to be applied "particularly". It likely doesn't apply to your situation at all. It just came to mind and I thought I'd share it.

I have a job that requires clean fingernails and for me to always be on time....

If possible I would buy and inexpensive BRAND NEW little gas saver and never look back. Most any of them are good for 100+K with nothing more than oil changes.

The superior fuel economy (@ $5.00 per Gal.), dependability, safety and, if nothing else, the frustration factor of an older ride would never let me buy something older that I HAVE to depend on....

JMO and YMMV. B)

I am pleased.

1985 Toyota SR5 4X4

35,000 miles on new engine. (22r)

180,000 miles on rolling chassis (not even broke in) wink.gif

Bought from a local retired hunter-angler so the Arizona "pinstripes" and rock "depressions" were free.

Needs...nothing really. But I can't leave well enough alone.

$2,800

post-1015-074756500 1295740661_thumb.jpg

Isn't the 1985 model one of the last straight front axle ones? Very cool. That is the model I want for a second truck.

Thanks, yes. The last model with a straight axle.

If you go new, my '09 Jetta TDI has been a good car, so far. (59K on it so far.) I'll probably keep it until this fall, then buy another one - I think it was 24K - very nice car, IMO, for the price.

To late. See post #32

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, you can't. Just an update. What a pleasure it is to pop the hood on a vehicle and recognize almost everything.

A carburetor and distributor...anyone remember them? wink.gif

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Two things about the 22R.

1. Find a working ignition module at a junk yard, bag it up and stash it some ware on the truck.

2. Listen for timing chain slap and grind at about 100K, don't let the chain eat through the water jacket.

Two things about the 22R.

1. Find a working ignition module at a junk yard, bag it up and stash it some ware on the truck.

2. Listen for timing chain slap and grind at about 100K, don't let the chain eat through the water jacket.

Good stuff, thanks!

I'm with CocoBolo, spend money on payments and get better mileage a warranty and piece of mind and weekends free, or spend money on parts, and weekends crawling around on the ground, and trust me if something is gonnabreak it's gonna break on a Sunday evening, in the rain, when it's freezing, and you gotta be at work Monday.

Add me to this list as well.I spent way to much time fixing junk when I was young and broke.You'd be suprised how far you can get with this newer stuff with a cheap code reader,a multimeter,and Google.-Mike