Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 930 build

midget

Well I finally decided to start working on my 930...

Here is the receiver work that I've done so far...

IMG_20110115_151248.jpg

As far as internals go, I have polished the trigger components, feed ramp, and the sides if of the trigger house (that come in contact with the feed ramp).

I am going to fill in the end of the feed ramp and lighten it.

Any suggestions as for what else to do?

Also, does anyone know where to find a reduced weight trigger spring for these things?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what did you use to open up the feed area?

Three different types of files, sand paper (220 and 400), and a 12 gauge shell...

So far I've spent quite a bit of time working on it... I upload another picture as soon as I get it cleaned up a little bit more....

Looks very good! It will be good to see the updated pics. I have one of these on my list. As far as polishing the trigger components was it pretty easy to tell what places required the polishing or did you get some pointers from someone? If it's not too much of a pain could you include a quick pic?

Alright, here are some pictures of what I did (Sorry, I used my cell camera).

First, this is how the trigger group fits together:

IMG_20110115_234744.jpg

Now I didn't have to do a whole lot of polishing to get the trigger to break well

On the hammer, you can see the face and bevel are polished, the interior of the tooth is also:

IMG_20110116_010223.jpg

On the sear, I polished the opposing faces that the hammer moves against:

IMG_20110116_010252.jpg

Now on the trigger housing, I polished the faces that the feed ramp rides against:

IMG_20110116_010142.jpg

IMG_20110116_010133.jpg

I still need to do a little more work to clean up a few small spots on these components, but like I said, the trigger breaks very well now... I am trying to figure out how to take out the pre-travel as well as where to find a reduced weight spring I can use for the trigger...

Again as always, I am open to any suggestions/criticism!

Edited by midget

I have a few newbie questions, if you wouldn't mind me asking. How do you fill in the end, and how would you lighten the feed ramp?

Also, when doing this did you just file it so that it was flush with the inside wall of the receiver?

I think I want to do this, but I am a little worried about screwing it up.

Thanks

Ed

I have a few newbie questions, if you wouldn't mind me asking. How do you fill in the end, and how would you lighten the feed ramp?

Also, when doing this did you just file it so that it was flush with the inside wall of the receiver?

I think I want to do this, but I am a little worried about screwing it up.

Thanks

Ed

To fill in the end of the feed ramp, a piece of steel will have to be shaped and welded on. After that, I will have to spend some time grinding and filing to make it perfect.

To lighten the feed ramp, I will have to remove material. I am probably just going to run an eigth inch cut through the face of the ramp about 1.5" long...

With the 930, there isn't an overhang on the inside of the receiver. What you are doing is actually creating an outward taper to help funnel the shell towards the ramp... The work on the front of the receiver is a bit different though... I'm not going to say exactly what I did until I know that it isn't going to cause any failures (I don't want to take the chance of guiding you to do something that will break your gun). I have this sinking feeling in my gun that I am going to have to extend the feed ramp a little bit, but we will see...

If you are not comfortable cutting on your own gun, then do not... Nothing worse than the feeling of ruining something you have a lot of time and money wrapped up into... This is my first major project, but I played around with metal shaping and polishing for a little while before I attempted this... Just practice and ask questions until you begin to feel confident...

Edited by midget

With the 930, there isn't an overhang on the inside of the receiver. What you are doing is actually creating an outward taper to help funnel the shell towards the ramp... The work on the front of the receiver is a bit different though... I'm not going to say exactly what I did until I know that it isn't going to cause any failures (I don't want to take the chance of guiding you to do something that will break your gun). I have this sinking feeling in my gun that I am going to have to extend the feed ramp a little bit, but we will see...

If you are not comfortable cutting on your own gun, then do not... Nothing worse than the feeling of ruining something you have a lot of time and money wrapped up into... This is my first major project, but I played around with metal shaping and polishing for a little while before I attempted this... Just practice and ask questions until you begin to feel confident...

Thank you for your reply. I think I will just watch this thread for your updates, try to read some more, and practice with my gun the way it is for now.

Much appreciated,

Ed

Looks good, I picked up a 26" 930 field model the other day and I just tonight got to mess around with it, although I haven't shot it yet. I need to send it off to get chopped just before the ports (turning it into about a 22" barrel) and rethreaded. It definitely needs the loading port hogged out, it's very narrow.

I thought the trigger on mine was actually pretty good straight from factory. I don't have a scale, but it's fairly light and not much creep. It has a fair amount of take up that makes it act like a 2 stage rifle trigger. I don't think I'll bother with trying to polish it up, I'm not good enough that it will make any difference for me.

The biggest impression I got was that it's very hard to load in it's stock form. The shells have to really be pushed far into the tube in order for them to stay in place, but to do that you have to stick your thumb way down in there. With the shape of the lifter it's like Chinese fingercuffs. I had a sore thumb after playing around with it for 10 minutes. The lifter is definitely going to need welded up.

Edited by bkoenig

Outerlimits,

Did Benny by chance give you a list of what he's going to do for your build? Did you get the 930 from him?

I just give benny $$ and he does his magic. My job is to shoot it like crazy. And yes, he gets the 930 and builds from there. Drink the kool aid...it's good.

Edited by outerlimits

I would love to give Benny my gun to work on, but I decided with this one that I might try my hand at it first... There is something more gratifying about doing the work yourself...

Here is a little update:

Now that I'm less sick, I decided to start working on the receiver again... I decided to remove some more material in the front and trim the hand guard...

As always, please give me some input!

IMG_20110122_181036.jpg

IMG_20110122_181045.jpg

(I'm kind of upset though, I slipped with the file and guffed the receiver....)

I'm really looking forward to learning what you did at the front of the loading port and whether it works or helps in loading. My impression is that it's rather hard to get the shells far enough up into the tube, so I was thinking that removing some metal at the front would help that. I might work on welding up my lifter today. Just need to go get some new wire for the MIG welder.

you may need to bring this to the first FW match or maybe soon so i can play with it a bit B)

Im looking to pick up a 930 but i dont know if i want one now and have someone do the work or wait til Moss comes out with a "competition ready" version.