Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nose dive jamb, STI Trojan 9mm

Mr Freeze

I have an STI Trojan 9mm. Just recently when I load a full mag into the gun and try rack in the first round, the bullet is diving and getting jambed on the leading edge of the feed ramp. I have STI 9 round mags that came with the gun and I also have Tripp 10 rounders, they both do it.

I am using Montana Gold bullets with OAL of 1.14". Any ideas what may be causing the problem?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you do the BE polish job on the feed ramp? That and rounding off the sharp edges on the bottom of my extractor (I think that was on the Brazos web site, very informative) seemed to help the few issues I was having on my Sentry. Will be very curious to see what others suggest.

My experience is that you're not going to be able to get any flat nose bullet to feed in a 9mm 1911. I tried all sorts of things with my 147s and they won't even hand cycle reliably in my Spartan (non-ramped barrel).

My suggestion is to change to a round bullet profile. The "rounder," the better.

I talked to several people on here and they all pretty much told me that having a reliable 1911 is about finding what it likes.

I would load to at least 1.150", longer if your barrel/mags will take it, and plan on switching to a round bullet of some kind for the future.

Mine will not shoot more than 2-3 shots with a flat point bullet without stopping. Sometimes it stops so hard that the clearance methods are quite extreme.

That video posted at the link to the review above illustrates my point when he talks about hollow point bullets not feeding. You'll note that regardless of how hard he racks the slide, the nose dived round is stuck and won't feed at all.

His experience replicates mine with 147 grain flat point bullets, at any length between 1.120" and 1.150" or so.

I ended up shortening the longer ammo to fit in my M&P, and loading a bunch of 135 grain round nose bullets for my Spartan.

I just checked out the MG website and those bullets look like they should be round enough to feed, but without having any on hand to observe the feeding process, I can't say for sure.

Try a little longer and see if that increases your reliability. Sometimes just a little change in OAL will make a big difference.

Edited by twodownzero

I have an STI Trojan 9mm. Just recently when I load a full mag into the gun and try rack in the first round, the bullet is diving and getting jambed on the leading edge of the feed ramp. I have STI 9 round mags that came with the gun and I also have Tripp 10 rounders, they both do it.

I am using Montana Gold bullets with OAL of 1.14". Any ideas what may be causing the problem?

The ramp that STI uses is the problem...it doesn't extend back far enough (this was the way Matt McLearn described it to me). My .40 Trojan now has a Schuemann AET in it, and it will feed empty cases from slide lock...but the ramp profile is arguably the best out there. R,

What about taking some off your mag spring. I know that if I take my 10 round mags that are fully loaded and try to strip the first couple rounds out there is to much spring pressure and it jams the round into the front of the mag. I think that and a combination of a light recoil spring could cause some of the problems.

Just thinking out lout.

I had wonderful luck today! Made the switch to MG 147CMJ- with an OAL of 1.160.

With one in the chamber and 7 mags holding 10 rounds it ran like my open gun!!

Went and ran it again starting with 11 and all the mags fed like butter.

Put a Zero 147JHP at 1.160 and all kinds of nose dives on the first round. IF

I load a MG or WWB as the top round all those Zero's fired fine.

So the profile of the head appears to make a big difference, as well as what that top round is. Shooting steel with it Sunday :devil: well see what happens.

Thanks Bart for all the information you gave me! :cheers:

Thank you to all for the help. I have been messing around with it in my basement and if I rack the first round in real hard it seems to go without jambing. I am going to IDPA practice tomorrow and I will give it a whirl. Looks Like I will try loading a little longer and if that dosn't work I guess I will need to change bullets or get some ramp work done. :(

I went to the range to day for IDPA practice and the gun worked flawlessly. I really made a conscience effort to rack the first round in hard! Could it be that my whole problem was that I was just getting a little lazy with my initial load?

Edited by Mr Freeze

I went to the range to day for IDPA practice and the gun worked flawlessly. I really made a conscience effort to rack the first round in hard! Could it be that my whole problem was that I was just getting a little lazy with my initial load?

Well, it really should feed from slide when you just hit the slide release...

Well, it really should feed from slide when you just hit the slide release...

I agree Bart. I am just happy that at this point, I can get my Trojan to work without having to send it away for a couple of weeks.

By the way, other than this issue, I absolutely love the gun. I bought it because of the many good reviews on it that I saw on this forum.

Edited by Mr Freeze

I have a 6" Trojan that was bought new and first used as a 9mm, I have since had my gunsmith fit a Kart 38super barrel and it now will go both ways with the appropriate magazines of course. When new it would jam as described above this was in 9mm configuration. It cost me fifty points on a 50 yard stage in Action Pistol shooting the three and three. I took it to my gunsmith and he informed me later that the bed in the frame at the rear of the barrel was not cut quite deep enough. He milled that slightly and it has run like a dream ever since with 9mm or 38super. That may or may not be the problem stated above but it sure cured my problem.

I continue to play around with this. Most on this forum advise loading longer but with my gun it seem to be the opposite. At 1.14 I was getting occasional nose dive jambs on the first round out of the mag. I went to 1.15 and it got worse. I went to 1.13 and it seems to have stopped jambing but it is two early to be sure.

For what it is worth, when I had my Spartan 9mm, I loaded everything to 1.10 OAL. With this length, all my RN profiled bullets, LRN or FMJ, ran 100% with all the mags I tried. Matter of fact, I load all my 9mm ammo to OAL 1.10 and do not have a problem with it working in my Springfield Loaded 1911 9mm, Dan Wesson PM9 or CZ 85 Combat.

Edited by toddrod

1.100" is really short.

Not really. Min is 1.000" and Max is 1.169". That makes 1.0845" smack dab in the middle. There's a lot of data published specifying 1.050-1.090", and even with heavy bullets (Hodgdon specifies 1.100" with the 147gr XTP) they don't always go much longer. Atlanta Arms uses 1.100" for their 147gr ammo. R,