Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra high scope mounts for Tac Optics

Cap

I noticed while watching some of Daniel Horners videos on Youtube that he is running what appears to be a scope mount with a riser. Similarly, a guy that I've trained with runs a LaRue SPR 1.93 mount to acomplish the same thing. When I asked about it he said the higher rings allow him to get the rifle lower in his shoulder to help recoil managment.

Has anyone else tried this?

I recently mounted a M.A.R.S. red dot/IR lasert on my SBR (not my 3gun rifle) and it is similarly high. I noticed that when shooting from odd-ball possitions like having the rifle sideways shooting through a port it is much easier to find the dot.

If anyone has any opinions or exprience with the subject I would love to hear it.

Here is the mount and a youtube video where you can see what I'm talking about.

Mount

I noticed while watching some of Daniel Horners videos on Youtube that he is running what appears to be a scope mount with a riser. Similarly, a guy that I've trained with runs a LaRue SPR 1.93 mount to acomplish the same thing. When I asked about it he said the higher rings allow him to get the rifle lower in his shoulder to help recoil managment.

There is no reason to lift the scope higher off the bore center line beyond the norm to get a proper cheek weld/sight-eye alignment. The higher it is, the more off set you'd need to keep in mind when shooting closer than 15 yds. Pick what works for you rather than follow what the other guys are doing. The most important thing is when you shoulder the rifle, should instantly see the scope's reticle clearly and free of 'tunnel effect' without having to wiggle back/forth.

Edited by PacMan

The higher it is, the more off set you'd need to keep in mind when shooting closer than 15 yds.<snip> The most important thing is when you shoulder the rifle, should instantly see the scope's reticle clearly and free of 'tunnel effect' without having to wiggle back/forth.

The higher you mount the scope, the more difficult it is to get a cheek weld, and that means the harder it is to get the scope in position.

I like mine higher than normal, just because it's more natural for me. So I have the highest rings I could get, and an extra rail to add another 3/8"

Like Pacman said.. pick the height that gives you a clear sight picture when you mount the rifle.

most rings are high partly to clear the barrel with the front of the scope.

The Lower on the shoulder part dry.gif , I am sure that your friend believes what he is telling you about the high rings letting him put the gun lower on his shoulder. BUT do you think he can tell 0.25" difference in ware he puts the gun on his shoulder for 3 gun?

And If I want the gun lower I have the ability in a complete set of joints in my neck to move my head lower. Its all very complicated and I bet some of the doctors can fill in the Latin names for all the joint and muscle groups. This was meant in a playfully manner

The shooter moves the chin forward and lowers the cheek with the eyes held close to 90deg. to the ground

= the head moves up and down -forward and back- the shoulder moved up and down. Its a good design, the Creator should be thanked from time to time

Scope height over bore tends to be subjective shooter to shooter. I tend to prefer the high 1.93" LaRue mount or comparable height of scope over bore. I mount the rifle and like to bring the rifle to me eye rather than my eye to the rifle. It works for me. I also mount the rifle very inboard of my body and shoot a very squared up stance. Most shooters will do plenty well with a standard 1.5" mount. some shooters even like it lower. It really all boils down to preference of the shooter.

Find the height that works best for you. Don't get concerned with offset. Its minimal and not enough to make a difference for what we do with our rifles. Know YOUR DOPE and you will be good.

Here is a tidbit of info I bet most don't know. The term DOPE is an acronym for Data Of Prior Engagement. Just FYI for those that did not know.

Also....the high 1.93" mounts were developed as a means to raise the S&B Short Dots high enough to clear the AN/PEQ IR Lasers that were mounted in front of the optics on our military's rifles.

The LaRue high 1.93" mounts were developed to meet the following military requirements:

• Clear the AN/PEQ -2 with the S&B Short Dot as it is visible in your sight picture in a 1.5 SPR mount on 1.1X

• Give the user a more heads-up shooting position, you may not feel this is relevant to 3 Gun but try running around with a Kevlar helmet with NVG’s attached for a few hours. When you lower your eye to the optic the weight of the NVG’s tend to shift the helmet down blocking your vision or impacting the scope messing up your ability to view through the scope. Additionally the extra stress placed on the neck to acquire and maintain a sight picture through the lower mounts several hundred times a day can become tiresome.

• Give a better cheek weld with the SOPMOD or Vltor stock.

I prefer the high 1.93" LaRue mount; I bring the rifle to me eye rather than my eye to the rifle. For me I find transitions are better with the heads up position. It really is shooter preference. Find the height that works best for you.

Out.

2011BLDR

This is very interesting.

I've recently noticed that when shooting a couple of my AR mounted with Eotechs (on mounts that allow a lower 1/3 cowitness of irons), that I can look at the target and mount my rifle and and I do not need to move my neck down to get my cheek on the stock and get a clear sight picture.

On my ARs (both with Magpul PRS stocks) with the LaRue SPR mounts (1.5") -one mounted with a K Dot and the other with a Swaro Z6i- that when I look at the target without moving my head, as I mount the rifle I need to bring my head lower to get the correct sight picture.

However, when shooting with the LaRue SPR mounts during a match, I don't really consciously notice my head moving lower as I bring up the rifle, it just happens naturally. I don't know if I would be any faster if I didn't need to do this.

When I watch some of the fastest pistol shooters, I notice that they bring the gun up to their level of vision. They do not bend their head forward or bend their neck in any fashion. They look completely relaxed with a conservation of movement. I don't know if this technique of conservation of head movement when sighting and shooting has any application to more efficiency with the rifle when shooting while standing/moving for 3 Gun.

I may pick up a LaRue 1.93 the next time I order from them just to see if I can tell any difference.

It would be interesting to get some profile video of a beginning, intermediate, and top level shooter engaging targets at say like 5, 20, and 50 yards and look at their times starting at low ready to the shot for a string of ten or so for both a 1.5 and 1.93 mount to see the difference in movement and times.

I'm probably beating this to death and way overthinking this.