Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Toilet parts that don't suck?

I have a toilet that manages to toast a flapper pretty often (like, yearly, or more frequently), and the other internals fairly often, as well. The other toilet in the house has had the flapper replaced maybe once in the 10 years we've lived in this house. I'm getting pretty damn tired of replacing parts in this toilet. Are there any toilet internals that don't completely suck? The el cheapo crap at Home Depot is driving me up the wall.... :lol:

Whats happening is the (ring) that the flapper seals to has a build up of calcium on it, and the flapper can not seal to a rough surface.

The only way the flapper is bad is if it bleeds the black goop on to your hands when you touch it.

Turn the water off -raise the flapper out of your way - and use your finger nail to scrape the seal area that the flapper seals to.

You will most likely have a bunch of sandy crud in the bottom of the tank too = use an old rag and wipe that out too / or al least some of it.

Do not use a metal tool to scrape the seal area under the flapper , maybe a plastic throw away knife would be ok . but with your finger an its nail = you will feel the crud / calcium breaking off the ring

Edited by AlamoShooter

I would not use Fluidmaster in an outhouse (and there is no running water in there). They'll probably sue me for saying that, but it is true. There are Kohler labeled valves made by Fluidmaster as well. Totally avoid anything "Coast", they are bankrupt but there is still stock out there and they have the same poor materials. Don't use anything that is "Hush Pro" or "Fill Pro" anywhere in the labeling either. Hard water and Chlorine are common in domestic water supplies, and they degrade the material some manufacturer's use to make toilet trim.

I use Korky and Toto parts quite a bit. The Brass Craft black and gold fill valve is very good. Mansfield makes an all metal ballcock valve that is very good as well, but like $50. Or you could try a Case for like $200.

No, I am not a plumber. :ph34r:

Jamie's idea was a good one, given our water around here. There was a small amount of buildup, but scraping it off didn't change anything, unfortunately. Next step... order more expensive parts, or find them locally, or something...

It sounds like you have only replaced the Flapper. so if cleaning the seal area for the flapper has not worked = move to the next step of removing the tank and replacing seal ring and flapper parts as a unit. yes the cheep stuff is crappy crap per parts.

the tank is held on with two bolts that need to be loosened alternating so as not to put the tank in a bind and break it.

Not a big deal if the wall shut-off actually shuts off the watter. = 1 in 4 will leak when you try to turn it off, and I have to -A turn off all the water to house, or B just put a low tray to catch the leaking watter while I am working.

Most home owners are very hesitant to remove the tank- its not a big deal and very common. = put something soft on the floor to protect the floor and to keep from breaking the tank . the tank is kind of like an egg shell when it is off the toilet. = put the lid to the tank -Way out of the way so it will Not get steeped on.

yes the cheep stuff is crappy crap per parts.

Oh, the puns! :lol:

the tank is held on with two bolts

Or three, in my case... :) I've done this at least twice on this toilet, now, unfortunately... :(

Not a big deal if the wall shut-off actually shuts off the watter.

Luckily, mine still does :)

Most home owners are very hesitant to remove the tank- its not a big deal and very common. = put something soft on the floor to protect the floor and to keep from breaking the tank . the tank is kind of like an egg shell when it is off the toilet. = put the lid to the tank -Way out of the way so it will Not get steeped on.

It's not a big deal to do - just a PITA, in the end. Unfortunately, it's not a name brand toilet, either, so it's "universal fit" toilets... I think I'll avoid the cheap parts, but replace everything in it, as you're suggesting... Just tired of jacking around with the thing... :)

Well, I'm kind of a plumber. I've done the plumbing in 30-40 houses, and my dad was a master plumber running his own business for 35 yers, and 10 years before he started his business, so close to 45 years in the business. Three of his brothers are plumbers, 2 of his uncles, and 4 of his nephews (my cousins). No, plumbing is not my profession, I learned early thast it is a nasty business. If you want quality toilet parts, you must pay for them. You really only have two choices...Kohler or American Standard. While Kohler is a good product most of the time, American Standard is a good product ALL of the time. There is a third choice, and it's not bad, but it's not either of those, Crane. It's like buying a press....Buy it once, cry once. Rip the old one out, got to Ferguson Plumbing supply (or your local Plumbing supply, Hughes, Gorman, etc) and buy an American Standard toilet. But, what you really want is a Bidet.... ;)