Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mechanical Digital Micrometers

EricW

216.jpg

I don't have one of these....yet, but since my electronic digital mic took a header off the shop bench, one of these will be coming home someday soon. When I first started out as an engineer, some of the old-schoolers took me under their wing and let me borrow their old, mechanical digital mics. I, of course, being a new-school punk had to go buy a fancy-schmancy *electronic* digital mic. As soon as I got it, I wanted to trade Darlene (my measuring mentor who ran the metrology lab) for her old mic.

"Don't even *think* about it, Slick!"

"Damn!"

Electronic just isn't as good. You constantly have to re-zero, the batteries are always croaking, and the electronic gizmos are just...just...chintzy. I used to be agnostic about the difference between mechanical and electronic, but the electronic stuff I have is just turning out to be a total PITA.

The mechanical stuff is sooooo much better. Try it and you'll see.

[And yes, you can buy a Chinese one for $100 less out of Midway. But, mine's gonna be made in America. You decide which country deserves your money more.]

$146.78 delivered out of the guys I linked the photo to. It'll last a couple of lifetimes for most people's purposes.

Starret's dial calipers are a good deal there at just over $100.

Old School? Digital=Old School? You’re kidding… right?

With just a little practice you can read a standard vernier scale micrometer just as fast (well, maybe not to 10ths) as a digital AND save a whole LOT of money! The only time I ever liked a digital is when I had to “prove” I was right to a non-mechanical type.

Ed

Old School? Digital=Old School? You’re kidding… right?

With just a little practice you can read a standard vernier scale micrometer just as fast (well, maybe not to 10ths) as a digital

Obviously *you* can. :P For those of us who don't have them in our hands every day, the digital is a convenience I think is worth paying for. :)

=======================================

Rhino,

If you're in the market for a set of calipers, 6" is generally all you need for reloading. However, if you plan to use them for anything else, spring for the 8" Mitutoyos for an extra ten bucks. (At least you'll be supporting Japanese craftsmen instead of corrupt Chinese military officers.) 8" calipers seem to be a good balance between flexibility and portability.

I just read in the ad Brian posted that the Mitutoyos have a ratched thumbwheel, not necessary, but a nice feature if you aren't sure how much tension is correct.