Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell polishing or mag tuning

sgoddard

Trying to get my mags going in and out as smooth as possible- do I need to polish the inside of my magwell? I've noticed my new mags don't slide out as easily as I had hoped, any suggestions?

S/A 1911, with wilson speed chute and wilson mags (both 8 and 10 round seem to do the same thing)

I think your first approach should be to get out the blue sharpie pen (idea shamelessly stolen from BE) and figure out where those mags are binding. Take it from someone who has just started polishing things willy-nilly - it's a major time investment for very little return unless you know what problem you're trying to fix.

Having just gone through this in a STI - I found that the mag release was too large where it passes through the grip. I had to take the catch out and dremel the edge off and the drag on the magazines stopped. You can check this easily - just look by your magwell and see if you cann see the metal edge of the catch.

Checked it out last night, mags are dragging slightly on the front (can't see anything sticking out of the magwell) Also how much should be sticking out on the mag catch- really have to slam the mags home and I get some drag when released- would a lighter spring help this?

really have to slam the mags home and I get some drag when released- would a lighter spring help this?

Full or empty mags? If full, that's fairly normal. You're compressing the mag spring when seatng.

The catch spring weight shouldn't have much influence on whether your mags are sticking.

If this problem is isolated to a couple of magazines, I'd be inclined to modify the magazines to fit your gun. You could try slightly squeezing them in a vise in the long direction to see if that stops the rubbing.

Thanks Eric. That was with empty mags. I just wasn't sure how much of the catch should be sticking out for adequate hookup. Really couldn't see anything else they would be catching on. Only lines I get (from the sharpie method) are two towards the front of the mag just before the curve.

If you're using an extended mag release it can have too much travel and actually capture the mag when you hit it. The " tactical " models seem to be the worst about this. Hold the mag in the gun and push the mag release in hard and see if the mag is held by it. If it is, you can either relieve the inside of the mag catch or cut off a piece of welding rod to make a stop to fit inside the mag release spring.