Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to use Tactical Sequence

GForceLizard

• 4 weeks later...

How about a procedure that says, "Both Tactical Priority and Tactical Sequence"? And no, I'm not kidding.

That used to be legal but as of the addendum it is not. Under the current rules tac sequence can only be used if the targets are all equal.

As I understand the IDPA rules the only time you have to use tactical sequence is when the course of fire says to use tactical sequence. i.e. Tac-Seq is never a given. Tac-Seq must be specified in the written procedure.

...and they have to been of equal threat and 10 yards or less distance from the shooter. The implication is that a tactical sequence engagement will most likely be at the beginning of a stage in the open before moving to cover.

Tactical Sequence may not be used for targets farther than 10 yards. Tactical Sequence may not be combined with Tactical Priority (near to far or from cover) on the same targets. As stated on page 12, tactical sequence is only required when it is specified in the course of fire description.

Edited by Steve J

Perhaps IDPA HQ has realized the tactical sequence is really not that great an idea. For one thing, people tend to find it confusing. Frankly I think that HQ made a mistake in the Rule Book by giving the two concepts such similar names: tactical sequence and tactical priority. People, especially new IDPA shooters, find it hard to keep straight which is which, and when each should be used. I feel that in the rules addendum they are, basically, moving to obsolete tactical sequence without actually saying that's what they're doing. Just my $0.02.

I liked using tac sequence in stages for our weekly wednesday matches, not every week but every once in a while. Put out 6 targets at varying distances from 3-10 yards and shoot them in tac sequence. Good transition stuff and good to get them to think the best way to reengage them. Put 2 NT's or a swinger NT in there and it is was a good practice stage.

I think it has it's place in the IDPA game but I do agree I have seen it used in some bizarre ways.

Frankly I think that HQ made a mistake in the Rule Book by giving the two concepts such similar names: tactical sequence and tactical priority. People, especially new IDPA shooters, find it hard to keep straight which is which,

IDPA jargon seems to be beyond a lot of IDPA shooters and not just new ones.

Every walkthrough, Tactical Priority has to be explained as "slice the pie" or "near to far" and Tactical Sequence as "1-1-2-1-1."

Every time.

Stages are not scored Vickers Count, they are "not limited."

Every time.

I often threaten to have a vocabulary quiz in new shooter briefings. But don't because so few would pass, new or old.

Duane, I like IDPA, but don't have a good place to shoot it nearby. I've had heck remembering the difference between the two. Your memory trick is going to help me. Thank you!!!

(Tac Sequence has cost me plenty of match points) :rolleyes: