Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match with a revolver

latech15

I just started shooting about 18 months ago and started with a glock. Tried to build an open glock, failed. Went to a used Tanfoglio open gun. Liked it much better, but had reliability problems, moved up to a STI 6" Limited gun. Ordered a new STI open rig a few months ago and am waiting on it to be completed.

Somewhere along the way I picked up a 625 5" and had a trigger job, chamfer, sights etc. I had the whole set up for months, moon clip holder, holster, even loaded rounds, but never could get up the nerve to try it in a match. My open gun will be ready shortly, and I knew that once I got it, I would be hard pressed to not shoot it so I loaded up the revo this past weekend and shot a match with it.

It was surprisingly, easy and lots of fun. I was expecting it to be annoyingly slow and painful and it wasn't any of those things. I need to do lots of work on reloads and accuracy but I really enjoyed it overall. I practiced both strong hand and weak hand reloads a bunch and after the first stage I honestly couldn't remember which one I used. Had to go back and watch the video to find out. I'll post video when I get it finalized.

Stay in the light. Do not go to the dark side. You will not have more fun than with a revolver. With the wheel you have to think, see the sights and plan, as opposed to hose and go with Open. Not to mention, wheel-gunners are more cool and better looking too. :roflol::closedeyes::sight:

Stay in the light. Do not go to the dark side. You will not have more fun than with a revolver. With the wheel you have to think, see the sights and plan, as opposed to hose and go with Open. Not to mention, wheel-gunners are more cool and better looking too. :roflol::closedeyes::sight:

We put the ool in cool

The most discouraging part is not a lot of people are willing to give it a go. It can get lonely if you thrive for competition.

Welcome to revo, yes it can be hard to get some competition in revo, but work on it. We had 12 revos at our local match yesterday and had a full revo squad and we all had a great time. Try to convince some of IDPA revos to come over to the faster sport and give it a try. Best of luck and you can probably sell the open gun and get enough money for a few backup revos !!!!

The most discouraging part is not a lot of people are willing to give it a go. It can get lonely if you thrive for competition.

Welcome to revo, yes it can be hard to get some competition in revo, but work on it. We had 12 revos at our local match yesterday and had a full revo squad and we all had a great time. Try to convince some of IDPA revos to come over to the faster sport and give it a try. Best of luck and you can probably sell the open gun and get enough money for a few backup revos !!!!

One my good friends and training partner shoots his 625 in ESR quite a bit. He was egging me on to try it for over a year. I'm shooting SSR now and even shot the 686 in a USPSA match- pretty fun. The key to having fun IMO is to get your reloads smooth, that makes it much more enjoyable. Most people people get discouraged with the reloads and heavy/long triggers- you can get used to the triggers no problem... you aren't going to slap the trigger with a 7.5lb revo!

Revolvers take work and dedication. But, when you put it all together the coolest thing is looking at the match scores and seeing how many bottom-feeders you beat. And then, them looking at you and realizing they got whupped by a wheelgunner. Some days are just lovely!

GOF

USPSA will improve your reloads, many more of them per stage/match

With the limited availability of ICORE....you're right. I wouldn't say USPSA is REVO friendly, but atleast they don't outright hate them. The longer courses will make you a better shooter and a more efficient reloader.

Hopefully the dry fire reloading practice will help my match performance and I don't have to learn on the job. :rolleyes:

Amen to that. However the lessons I learn in a match are definitely remembered, driven home, etc.

1. Chamber check all moonclips you load before the match. As they can be had for $.35 a piece...no excuse not to.

2. Don't open the cylinder before you're going to reload. If you do dump it and reload or pay the clicks depending on your splits.

3. Seat primers firmly or jack up the strain screw tension...your choice ahead of time...one choice during the match.

USPSA will improve your reloads, many more of them per stage/match

With the limited availability of ICORE....you're right. I wouldn't say USPSA is REVO friendly, but atleast they don't outright hate them. The longer courses will make you a better shooter and a more efficient reloader.

Hopefully the dry fire reloading practice will help my match performance and I don't have to learn on the job. :rolleyes:

Amen to that. However the lessons I learn in a match are definitely remembered, driven home, etc.

1. Chamber check all moonclips you load before the match. As they can be had for $.35 a piece...no excuse not to.

2. Don't open the cylinder before you're going to reload. If you do dump it and reload or pay the clicks depending on your splits.

3. Seat primers firmly or jack up the strain screw tension...your choice ahead of time...one choice during the match.

Forrest, you just need to learn to miss faster, you are gettin' a tad too close, shoot the white targets, they are easier to see and have less pasters on them

I just started shooting about 18 months ago and started with a glock. Tried to build an open glock, failed. Went to a used Tanfoglio open gun. Liked it much better, but had reliability problems, moved up to a STI 6" Limited gun. Ordered a new STI open rig a few months ago and am waiting on it to be completed.

Somewhere along the way I picked up a 625 5" and had a trigger job, chamfer, sights etc. I had the whole set up for months, moon clip holder, holster, even loaded rounds, but never could get up the nerve to try it in a match. My open gun will be ready shortly, and I knew that once I got it, I would be hard pressed to not shoot it so I loaded up the revo this past weekend and shot a match with it.

It was surprisingly, easy and lots of fun. I was expecting it to be annoyingly slow and painful and it wasn't any of those things. I need to do lots of work on reloads and accuracy but I really enjoyed it overall. I practiced both strong hand and weak hand reloads a bunch and after the first stage I honestly couldn't remember which one I used. Had to go back and watch the video to find out. I'll post video when I get it finalized.

Kudos on shooting revolver match your first time in a match.

I have noticed that revolver shooters tend to use less ammunition in matches than auto shooters. Missing is more "critical" when shooting revolver, as misses add up to more reloads generally. Auto shooters have a more forgiving ammunition capacity to allow makeup shots.

Shooting revolver will help yout tactics shooting in all the other divisions.

Amen to that........stay in the light, learn the reload, that is were most of you time is lost. :cheers: to the Revolver