Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

another reloading questiuon

thebigdogg316

For 200gr Semi-Wadcutter's I currently use Titegroup. I am shooting moly coated bullets though, with uncoated lead bullets Titegroup will smoke pretty bad. I have used everything from Clays, WST and Win231. I use Titegroup as it is at least $2/pound cheaper than the other powders. As far as primers go I have used Winchester, Remington, CCI or Federal. I'm not too picky and all have worked just fine with no problems (I just pickup whatever is cheaper or in stock).

Since you are Noob, I would recommend that you start with Round Nose Bullets and also Jacketed. A little more money but well worth it in the trouble you will avoid. Not all SWC are the same profile and unless you just get lucky you will have feeding issues with your gun. If you know what works in your gun then use that bullet. You also didn't say what kind of 45 gun you are shooting, some guns like glock, sig, CZ and other can be cantankerous about feeding certain profiles and types of bullets.

In the powder arena as GrumpyOne says Clays, WST, TiteGroup etc. I've tried the FeeFeeLaDoDo VV powder N320 and honestly she just didn't show me anything to merit twice the price in the 45. Now in 9 mm I like the FFLDD VV powder.

I can't say anything bad about the Lee Pro, since I never tried one, but then again I think I made the wise choice not trying one. I would recommend that you try a Dillon Square Deal B or 550 and then if you don't like it you can sell it and get most of your money back, that wont' happen with the Lee.

In my SS 45 I shoot Precison Moly SWC 200gr over 4.3gr of Clays loaded to 1.260. The precison has nice rounded edges and feeds in most 1911 single stack guns. I've tried several others but it woujldn't eat them. I also run 200gr RN's same load set a 1.22.

Edited by CocoBolo

For powders, I always liked the Alliant family for rifles, but their pistol powders don't meter very well. I like the Hogdon, IMR and VV powders because they meter well.

I agree with Ron on the bullet selections as well, with the addition of plated bullets as an option. I've loaded lots of Berry's 185 DSRN in .45. I've also been very happy with the precision moly bullets. I'm shooting those in 40 and 9. Lead seems to require more fine tuning with powders and loads to minimize leading in the barrel and excessive smoke. I got tired of messing with it for 1 or 2 cents a round.

The load Ron suggested should be a good one.

Thanks, Rick

Edited by austin rick

I would recommend that you try a Dillon Square Deal B or 550 and then if you don't like it you can sell it and get most of your money back, that wont' happen with the Lee.

+1 to what Ron stated. Warranty on Dillon products (except the S1050) is good.

Another option is a used SDB or 550, the warranty follows the press not the buyer...... I Had a Lee 1000 and it is a ok press but the shell plate carrier is subject to wear and the primer feed is not the greatest and powder measure is well..........lame.

The Lee 1000 will load great ammo, but you never know when the press will act up and that will make the reloading process a pain in the @$$. I loaded about 100,000 .45 thru mine till it broke fatally and gave it to one of my friends who still had one and needed the parts.

Funny story in 1991, "19 out of the top 20 at the Steel Challenge" used Dillon presses (Dillon Ad). The guy that didn't is Jojo Vidanes of JVDynamics, my friend who needed the Lee parts for his press (he now has many Dillon presses).

For powders, I always liked the Alliant family for rifles, but their pistol powders don't meter very well. I like the Hogdon, IMR and VV powders because they meter well.

I agree with Ron on the bullet selections as well, with the addition of plated bullets as an option. I've loaded lots of Berry's 185 DSRN in .45. I've also been very happy with the precision moly bullets. I'm shooting those in 40 and 9. Lead seems to require more fine tuning with powders and loads to minimize leading in the barrel and excessive smoke. I got tired of messing with it for 1 or 2 cents a round.

The load Ron suggested should be a good one.

Thanks, Rick

I've had no issues with the metering of Power Pistol. I threw 10 charges of 5.6 grains and ended up with 56.5 grains in the pan. Dillon 550.

Well you got me! Did you measure each load? I regularly see +/- .2 gns on those powders. If I'm using them I have to tap the powder measure to bring that down to +/- .1 grains. Power Pistol is probably the best. Unique, Green Dot and Blue dot all give me trouble.

I just prefer the spherical and rod shaped powders better. Personal preference I guess.

Thanks,

Rick

Well you got me! Did you measure each load? I regularly see +/- .2 gns on those powders. If I'm using them I have to tap the powder measure to bring that down to +/- .1 grains. Power Pistol is probably the best. Unique, Green Dot and Blue dot all give me trouble.

I just prefer the spherical and rod shaped powders better. Personal preference I guess.

Thanks,

Rick

I dumped each individual drop into the scale as I dropped it. Some would be just a bit shy, others would be just a bit heavy, but on average, they were very close. I haven't used Unique, green dot or blue dot.

I have a Lee progressive 1000, and have had only minor problems with it. Of course, I have only loaded a few thousand rounds thus far. Primer feed is the only issue that seems to be one that returns. I am looking for a second Lee pro 1000, but can't seem to find any that reflect a used price, as I can get them at Midway for $169.00 in whatever caliber I want. For that price, if you decide reloading is not for you, I would think you could recoup most of your money, and either buy an expensive press, or just buy your ammo.-----Metalguy ;)

I have found the pro 1k is most problematical in the 9mm version. I think its because there is so much variation in 9mm.

i have a pro 1k in 45acp now,and it loads ammo as well and faster than freinds SDB. the large primer feed seems to work a lot better than the small primer feed.

I would tend to agree that the 9mm can be problematic due to the short length of the case. I use the collator, and have found when running a group of 9mm, I put a slall square of card stock in the collator to make the cases drop into the tubes correctly every time. My primer feed for small primers works really well, but I make sure it is spotless, and when the tray is empty, I refill it.------Metalguy ;)

I would also recommend a good informational source like "The ABCs of reloading" if its a new hobby for you. there are plenty of other good ones out ther, just one that happen to have bought when i first started as it was recommended to me.

also, plenty of load manuals to get your loading data from when you start the actual loading process.

I have a Kimber Eclips and a Team Match 45 I shoot Missouri Bullets LSWC 200gr over 4.2gr of Clays loaded to 1.255. I also have a

Dillion 550 and have just converted it to 9mm and it is so simple. I loaded some 9mm's that have been shot through a Glock and did

not have any feeding problems through my SpringField EMP. A frend of mine shot some through his CZ and they ran fine in it.

I don't have my New CZ yet, getting it in about 3 weeks.

Yep, 200gr Moly SWC over 4.2-4.3gr Clays will give you relatively smoke-free shooting right around PF. Dillon Square Deal B set up for .45, and seat bullet till the headstamp side of the case is flush with the end of the chamber (you can easily measure this by dropping the round into the chamber while the barrel is out of the gun and just keep seating till it's flush or a little lower than flush with the back of the chamber).

Should feed just fine if your gun is in working order and your mags work properly and recoil will not be bad.

Edited by Erik S.