Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck Case in my SDB-Help

Remove the top on the die that screws the decap pin in ore pull the hook pin = remove the decap pin and punch out the shell from the top

If you have your Dillon book it should help you , Not to worry all of us has had that happen.

You said punch , but did you remove the decap pin?

If not last resort is to mail it to Dillion -before you scratch it all to heck

Edited by AlamoShooter

I would remove the die from the machine and squirt a little penetrating oil around the case and let it set until tomorrow. I would then try and grip the case end in a vise and try to work the case out by turning the top end of the die with a wrench. I've never had a case stuck in a SDB die and I would be real curious as to what made it stick. When you get it out, let us know what happened.

Well sounds like you may want to do the "Stuck rifle case " drill = you will need a 1/4" tap or 3/16" proper size dill bit a 3/16 or 1/4 bolt 2.5 " long and a deep 1/2 -3/8 drive socket the bolt should be 1/4 to 3/8 longer than the deep socket. and you need one or two flat washers

Drill out the primer hole and tap the hole with the thread size you want to use = I suggest starting with 3/16 as if something fails you can still move up in size to the 1/4"

put the bolt through the socket with the big 1/2 end facing the base of the shell the bolt head and washer are at the 3/8 dive end/

As you screw the bold in to the threaded shell case you need to line up the socket so the brass can draw out into the 1/2 socket.

As you screw in the bolt it will pull the stuck case in to the socket.

All this is with the gun unloaded / the die removed from the press/

I think only once or twice did I get a pistol case stuck = I think I had a 38 super go in my 38 special die. = it just punched out though. I did not have to do the stuck case drill.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I've had this happen 4 or 5 times in an SDB and a couple of times in my XL650. With pistol cases, I just take the decapping pin out and then insert a T-handle hex wrench that fills up most of the cartridge diameter and beat the case out with a rubber mallot. Usually comes out after a few good whacks. I've sprayed in some lube before, but that doesn't seem to take away the need to pound it out. Also, I lube my brass with a shot of silicone spray before hand, but sometimes the case can be bulged bad enough that no amount of lube will prevent it from getting stuck. But it does help to lube the brass before hand. The press will run much smoother and some of those bulged cases that might act like they are going to get stuck will actually make it through the process. As for rifle cases (not on the SDB of course), that's a bit tricky. I don't load rifle, but a buddy of mine had one get stuck. He had to beat it out similar to what I described for pistol, except he used the decapping pin itself since it was stuck as well due to the neck of the case. After getting the case unstuck, he had to dremel tool the case off the decapping pin. Major pain :devil:

put the die in the freezer overnite-you won't believe how easy it will come out.

Brass contracting more than steel?

Yes. The brass contracts more and faster than the steel, as it's not as hard...

Alternately, you could probably immerse the die in a pan of salted ice water for just a few minutes and that should do the trick. Rinse the die afterwards, of course.