Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what do you bring to the range

joedodge

i feel im always draging so much stuff to our weekly and monthly matches.ammo,mags,gun,glasses,ear muffs,gun cleaning supplies ,flash light, etc...

i got a midway pistol bag for xmas and im tryn to figure out the bare esssntials to bring and im having trouble letting go lol. tell me what you usualy bring and give me some ideas. thanks so much

thanks for the reply. my uncle mikes bag is to big and ends up getting overloaded, which is why i got the midway pistol bag im having trouble letin go lol i feel like a hoarder. im lookin forward to hearn peoples lists to help me carry the bare essentials.

I have the same problem, I feel the need to bring everything with me. Lately I’ve been doing better. What I did was got a 5.11 Rush24 backpack. I’ve scaled back to bringing gun, ammo, small towel to wipe face, small towel to wipe down gun, magazine brush, sunflower seeds, small video camera, pro grip, uplula, tissues. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t. The rest of my stuff still goes to the range with me, but stays in the car in the old range bag. I figure a few more times of not needing the items inside, I will leave it home. Point is, the backpack is scaled down and A LOT lighter to carry around on match days.

What I've started doing is taking 2 bags with me. I load up everything except the kitchen sink in my large range bag and leave it in the truck. I then take a 5.11 backpack with me during the match. It usually depends on which range I'm going to, but if I need something other than what's in my backpack: gunbag, mags, ammo, pro-grip and a towel, I can just run back to the truck to get it. For major matches tho, I will admit, that EVERYTHING gets put in the wagon and carted around with me.

Edited by alpha-charlie

great thanks guys thats what im gonna try and do we park pretty close to the range im gonna try and leave alot of stuff in the truck tomm night.im down to midway pistol bag,mags,gun,glasses,ear muffs,oil,a small rag,flash light,and small screw driver this is alot less than all the other crap i drag with me.

I use the Dillon bag and carry just about everything you can imagine including parts, tools, extra earplugs, muffs & glasses. Small first aid kit and extra hat, t-shirt, rain gear. For anything above a Level I match, it contains my back up competition gun as well. All of this goes in the car. The thing probably goes 40 lbs. I pull the "Stage Bag" out of the big bag and use it to carry mags & ammo so I stay light going from stage to stage during a match.

I always bring the following to a local match, most in my hand-dandy Walmart American Tourister range bag:

-Gun (big match I bring an identical backup gun, local match my carry gun serves backup duty).

-Mags (+two extra)

-Holster

-Pouches

-Belt

-ear muffs

-eye protection... Rudys of course :)

-Ammo (100 rounds more than I expect to need)

-Towel

-Sunblock

-Hat

-vest (IDPA)

-A few small tools and some springs and parts that are always in my range bag.

-brass bag

-Granola bars and/or some fruit for a snack (depending on length of match I like to keep snacking every hour or two).

-Water bottle and/or bottled drinks (sugarless/caffeine free).

-gum.

I always keep a first aid kit, bug spray and rain gear in my truck, so I didn't list them, but I have needed them before.

What I've started doing is taking 2 bags with me. I load up everything except the kitchen sink in my large range bag and leave it in the truck. I then take a 5.11 backpack with me during the match. It usually depends on which range I'm going to, but if I need something other than what's in my backpack: gunbag, mags, ammo, pro-grip and a towel, I can just run back to the truck to get it. For major matches tho, I will admit, that EVERYTHING gets put in the wagon and carted around with me.

This is what I do for practice... LOL. I always have tons of stuff with me so I can work on whatever, wherever, in case someone is in my favorite spot at our semi-private range (there area about 12-15 "members") which I usually have to myself.

Hello: You may consider the Shooters Connection bag. Overload it and just use the inner bag for each stage and leave the outer bag in your car/truck. I used the Shooters Connection Ultra bag all season and it has been great. I resently got a tournament bag(thanks Sue) and plan on using it all next year. I will use the inner bag loaded with mags,ammo,muffs,glasses(Rudy Rydon),mag brush and a flat headed screwdriver. All of the other stuff will be left in the truck. Imay even bring the ultra bag loaded with spare/loaner stuff. Thanks, Eric

Hello: You may consider the Shooters Connection bag. Overload it and just use the inner bag for each stage and leave the outer bag in your car/truck. I used the Shooters Connection Ultra bag all season and it has been great. I resently got a tournament bag(thanks Sue) and plan on using it all next year. I will use the inner bag loaded with mags,ammo,muffs,glasses(Rudy Rydon),mag brush and a flat headed screwdriver. All of the other stuff will be left in the truck. Imay even bring the ultra bag loaded with spare/loaner stuff. Thanks, Eric

Two sets of ears

Two sets of eyes

Gun/mags/ammo

Basic cleaning kit

Camera

A couple towels

Some antibiotic wipes (individuals)

Water or powerade

Sometimes a stool

A small bag to carry ammo/cleaning kit

Rule book

Extra random stuff I can't remember so probably don't need. :roflol:

I always have a bunch of extra stuff in the bag, and at some ranges, leave most in the truck. I can't count how many times I've had to pull out tools, bandaides, motrin, allen wrenches, etc, etc to help someone else get through a match. R,