Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .45 Blazer brass

magboy

Hi, Shooters -

My 1st post!

I have come into some .45ACP used brass cases - BLAZER

I have a few questions about reloading them, as follows:

1) I assune it is OK to reload them (?)

2) Which of the small pistol primers is suggested?

3) Should one increase the powder charge when using small pistol primers - is there a "rule of thumb" - or just chrono the loads? I have been using Hodgdon Universal - 5.8 - 200 gr. SWC bullet.

Thanks, happy holidays and standing by.

magboy

Hi, Shooters -

My 1st post!

I have come into some .45ACP used brass cases - BLAZER

I have a few questions about reloading them, as follows:

1) I assune it is OK to reload them (?)

2) Which of the small pistol primers is suggested?

3) Should one increase the powder charge when using small pistol primers - is there a "rule of thumb" - or just chrono the loads? I have been using Hodgdon Universal - 5.8 - 200 gr. SWC bullet.

Thanks, happy holidays and standing by.

magboy

Hi, again -

I now see that most of my questions have been answered in prior posts - still not sure about increasing the powder charge.

Saludos.

magboy

I would use them like a free rental car :lol:

you will probably need to check your load over a crono with the small primers thou...

jj

45 Blazer Brass is great. I had about 10,000 pieces of once fired at one time and now I'm down to about 4,000. It runs through the press and seats primers with a very consistent feel.

ETA: I've only run across about 25 in my batch with small primer holes. I look for small pockets in all my brass, set them aside and when I get 100, I load them up with small pistol magnum primers. I can't tell any difference shooting them at local matches.

Edited by Steve J

There are stories floating around about some brass with different size flash holes and "green" environmentally friendly primers. Some sources say load 'em and some say throw them away as they are too much trouble to mess with. Get one in a batch of brass and they will definately jam up a loading session. Personally, I chunk 'em.

The small primer pocket 45 Auto cases came about from the lead free primers.

The first lead free ammunition used standard large primer pockets. However, the lead free priming compound is more brisant than the normal lead styphnate priming compounds and peened the breech face on some guns. The original "fix" was to enlarge the flash hole to reduce the back pressure. The guns showing the worst peening have case hardened slides rather than through hardened slides.

Then, Federal first (to my knowledge) started using a small primer to reduce 1. the amount of lead free priming compound, and 2. the area acting on the breech face. Further, they crimped the small size primer in place to additionally reduce the pressure against the breech.

While I don;t think anyone has gone totally to small primer pockets in 45 Auto cases, there is some manufacturing advantages to not having different designs, so you may eventually see more small primer pockets.

The small primer pocket in the 45 GAP came about in trying to give as much wall thickness as possible, along with the extractor groove configuration.

Guy

Personally, I never use .45 ACP brass that require small primers. I have a box that I toss the cases in when I come across them. It's almost full at the moment.

I'm inclined to agree with Emerson. It seems like it would be a pain to keep them separate from your large primer pocket brass. Mixing them together makes for a reloading nightmare!

Hi,

I agree with you gentlemen as to the inconveniences involved in reloading these Blazers; however, having sorted a bunch and obtaining some Winchester WSPM primers, I would like to load a few.

Is it safe to use the same powder measure you used with the Winchester WLP? I, will of course chrono them - but wish to tread with caution

Merry Christmas to you and your families and standing by.

magboy

Hi,

I agree with you gentlemen as to the inconveniences involved in reloading these Blazers; however, having sorted a bunch and obtaining some Winchester WSPM primers, I would like to load a few.

Is it safe to use the same powder measure you used with the Winchester WLP? I, will of course chrono them - but wish to tread with caution

Merry Christmas to you and your families and standing by.

magboy

The same powder measure? Of course, no problem there. The same powder weight? Well, that's a different story. But it should be ok, as SPM primers only add about 10-15 FPS in a regular small primer load.