Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Max ammo oal for Trojan

ParaGunner

What is the maximum oal ammo that a stock STI Trojan. 40 will chamber. I'm thinking about getting one ,will it except 1.20 oal ammo? I would like to use the same ammo as I do for my limited gun.

You should really be asking how long of a bullet can I go in such and such magazine, and the gun be reliable? As far as the barrel you can have that throated for longer ammo. I am sure 1.2" would probably be ok, if not send your barrel to benny and he can throat it for like $10-20, maybe nothing at all, just give him a shout.

You could run them that long in a 10mm mag. I have a Trojan with Tripp 40 mags and at 1.17 with Zero 180gr JHP's I had to pull the spacer's out. I really messed up after loading a similar MG JHP, I just eyeballed and thought the Zero's were pretty much the same shape, boy was I wrong. I showed up at one of our monthly steel matches and almost didn't get to shoot, I had to not only pull the spacer's but I had to file the little pinch points that hold the spacer in place. I have run them in our local IPSC match and they ran fine. I guess I could really load them longer now I'll have to give them a shot.

Edited by TCKev

Before I had the barrel swapped on my Trojan I experimented with OAL to see what fed the smoothest, and how long I could go and still have it chamber. I ran several bullets (MG 180gr CMJ, Zero 180gr JHP and PD 180gr FMJ) out as long as 1.260 or 1.270 in Wilson 47NX mags.

I had Matt McLearn do a trigger job and a reliability package on it, and he said he touched up the chamber, so that may change things slightly, but it ran 1.200" ammo loaded with MG 180 CMJs in factory condition (had to test it before I left it with him). R,

when i had trojans, mine ran best with 10mm tripp mags and a length of 1.185" i use a 180 TC lead moly bullet, billy bullet, the SNS lead cast has the same profile. If i ran a round nose, this was also the maximum length, any longer and the bullet interfered with the slide stop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got a Trojan 40 and it would not load 180gr berrys bullets loaded at 1.185 oal.

I am going to have my gunsmith throat the barrel like he did my other 40 single stack which is a Dan Wesson SSC

Which 180?

copper plated 180gr flat nose.

.40 Cal 180gr FP DS