Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good plan for a lefty upper build?

serevince

I've been using my Stag lefty M4 clone with an EOtech to run some rifle/ pistol fun shoots. I've having a blast and actually doing well, primarily because the ranges have been short, perfectly suited for my setup.

I've registered for a larger 3 gun match, with ranges out to 400yds. I'm hoping to make the cut for at least one more big match this year. (They fill up QUICK!)

I know the general response is run what you brung and depending on lead times, I may run my wife's DPMS Sweet 16 w/DMS-1. But I've had my eye on a lefty upper with a little more range for a while.

So here's the plan:

Stag lefty upper

WOA SPR 18" barrel Wylde chamber, mid length gas(rifle length)?, head spaced with a Stag lefty bolt

LWS 15" hand guard

Brake TBD, most likely a YHM brake/ suppressor QD. It's a small compromise to add some NFA fun down the road.

I'll probably "borrow" my wife's DMS-1 for this year.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Vince

I think most leftys will tell you don't bother. get the upper you want in a standard ol right handed version. As long as you have brass deflector no problem.

I am a lefty, and consider it to be an advantage to use a right handed gun, be it pistol, rifle or shotgun...

jj

I think most leftys will tell you don't bother. get the upper you want in a standard ol right handed version. As long as you have brass deflector no problem.

I am a lefty, and consider it to be an advantage to use a right handed gun, be it pistol, rifle or shotgun...

jj

Exactly. Lefty receiver and lefty bolt = more money and less commonality. Advantage? Not for me or any lefty I know of. Why bother (unless you really want to give Stag your money).

ymmv

Best,

ac

Lol, Awesome, you guys prefer righty receivers :blink:

I prefer lefty! God bless America, where we have choices! Except when is come to shotguns, then it's Remington or right handed... (I guess a few down ejectors could be considered neutral)

So pretend I wanted a right handed upper ;)

Would the above mentioned components equate to a good rig for multi-gun?

Brake is still TBD.

As far as lefty vs righty... Just to be devils advocate how much time do guys have behind a lefty ARs? Using your logic all right handed people should be faster with left eject rifles? :sight:

As far as lefty vs righty... Just to be devils advocate how much time do guys have behind a lefty ARs? Using your logic all right handed people should be faster with left eject rifles? :sight:

Sorry, can't answer your question, but as to the above point, YES! A righty would be faster with a lefty gun...

jj

As long as your rifle shoots 2MOA or less and is 100% reliable, it will probably work for 3 gun. If it does at least that well, skill will hold you back more than equipment for most people.

I have shot them once or twice; I prefer parts commonality and being able to see the ejection port. Even using suppressors on right handed ARs has not bothered me as far as gas blow back or whatever. Some lefties say seeing the brass go past their face bothers them; I don't even notice it. The only advantage to a left handed upper is when you use bad reloads and KB your gun you might not catch as much frag in the face.

Yes, right handed people could be faster with left handed ARs and left handed shotguns; there was an article in Front Sight about this very thing several years ago.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

I would go with the "righty" version. Learning to shoot "right handed" on a rifle for a lefty is no big deal. I learned ambidextrous shooting at a really young age and it's stayed with me. as the other posters indicated, why spend the extra money?

I would go with the "righty" version. Learning to shoot "right handed" on a rifle for a lefty is no big deal. I learned ambidextrous shooting at a really young age and it's stayed with me. as the other posters indicated, why spend the extra money?

Lol, I didn't mean for this to turn into a lefty vs righty discussion.

I'm not "learning" to shoot ambidextrous. I am NOT LEFT HANDED :surprise:

I am cross dominant, I can shoot either hand no problem. Due to eye strength I am left eye dominant and therefor faster when using my dominant eye. I researched and experimented for years, using left and right hands, various equipment etc. I have attended shooting courses using using, right and left techniques hand solely for the duration of the course. I own and have shot extensively both right and left hand AR platforms. I've found what works best for me. I honestly don't believe I shoot any faster or more accurately with a lefty AR setup, but I PREFER it anyway.

I am not a experienced competitor. But I believe that if there was a noticeable advantage to using opposing design, that it would be required to be competitive

Any of you local are more than welcome to shoot my lefty AR anytime! :cheers:

I just got the word I'm registered for ESC Spring Multi-gun. :D When you see my name towards the bottom of the Open scores it won't be because I shot a lefty AR :roflol: Silly Saiga means this Tactical guy, gets to run with the big dogs! My hope is that enough open guns choke that I won't be dead last! :devil:

Cheers

Vince

Edited by serevince

• 4 weeks later...

Went with the PWS SM556 for the brake. The Loki Weapon Systems 15" hand guard is at the smiths. Just waiting on the barrel. It looks like 30 days or so till I get it.

During that time, I plan on some upgrades to my lower. JP adjustable FCG and a VLTOR emod stock.

What about buffer weights and springs? I plan on sticking with my carbine buffer tube.

Thanks

Vince

+1 for using a right handed upper. I am right handed with most things, but I am left eye dominant just as you are. I shoot pistol right handed and rifle lefty. I skate/snow board "goofy" like a lefty with my right foot forward.

I'm all mixed up. lol.

I like being able to see the ejection port personally. I don't have to look over the rifle to visually check during a malfunction, etc.

I do use a Troy ambi bolt release (magpul bad equivalent) so that I do not have to release my firing hand or reach by weak support hand under or over the gun to release the bolt.

I also use a Troy ambi mag release with great success.

For the charging handle you can reach over, or grab with the charging handle between two fingers, or get an ambi handle. I am waiting on Troy to release their ambi handle.

I see no reason for the port to be on the left side. Not once in thousands of rounds has brass ever hit me.

Ambi magazine, bolt, and charging handle features are all that you should need..but..

to each his own!

I can see the purpose of a lower receiver and charging handle modified for lefty usage, but the upper receiver itself? Only difference is the ejection port. No issue there at all.

Edited by JaeOne3345

I appreciate all the advice on ambi systems. I plan on using the Badger left hand charging handle. I was also looking at the KAC ambi mag release.

I know plenty of lefties "make do" with right eject guns. I have to as well when I am using an issued weapon.

IMHO the best/fastest system for me would a left eject with a right side charger ala XCR, ACR. If you guys were talking right eject, right charging I would agree that you have the potential to run faster.

When shooting in a bay or next to a barricade I eat A LOT of brass in the face. (Right eject). I annoying and distracting to me. Worst of all it leaves little black marks all over my face!

*edit* Reflecting on that last statement the majority of the brass I am eating does come from my handguns (don't know if that;s design or # of rounds fired). So my preference is probably more psychological than anything. When I see righty multi-gun shooters make the switch to lefty guns to gain an edge, I'll humbly admit that you guys were right all along :D

The offer stands to any locals to take the debate to the range. :cheers: My new upper should be ready next week!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Edited by serevince

Why not using righty parts and choose the direction brass ejects?

leftrightyxj9.jpg

Stag parts weren't used, but shirt says it all. :roflol:

Grind away those stakings from regular AR bolt that prevent bolt being used wrong way and mill a new ejection port. Oh, and shorten LRBHO. Only drawbacks so far are that in case of broken bolt replacements eject only right. Coupled mags are also blocking left-down ejection too often. Then one has to turn the bolt back to righty... :angry2:

Ambi-AR in cold (video) <-- Notice Hello Kitty! :bow:

Re-read, not on my phone :roflol:

I guess the advantage is, selectable ejection direction. I don't understand how a coupled mag would matter? It's always going to be on one side or the other.

I'm happy with left eject. I would LOVE, left eject with right forward charging handle like the ADCOR BEAR.

I still think a mod should change the title of the thread to "Why all right handed folks should use left handed guns" or maybe :devil:

Edited by serevince

• 2 years later...

old thread, I know. I was looking in to buying a lefty upper because as a kid, I had a spent case land on my right forearm and it welded itself to my arm. still have the scar to prove it. I was about 10 when it happened, and I honestly don't remember if it was because I gripped the gun funky, or had short arms, but I know I didn't want this to be of frequent occurrence should I build an AR. Has any other lefties had this problem with a RH gun?