Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon and the FN 5.7

Dillon and the FN 5.7

I haven't reloaded in a few years due to my moving around. I have been in SC for 3 years and am finally getting settled down enough to be ready to start again. The problem is I have added a FN 5.7 to my collection and there doesn't seem to be a problem finding dies there does not seem to be a caliber conversion kit for the Dillon 650. With no way to hold the cases the Dillon is useless. So is it possible to reload 5.7X28 on the Dillon 650 or do I need to buy another press?

Dillon and the FN 5.7

I haven't reloaded in a few years due to my moving around. I have been in SC for 3 years and am finally getting settled down enough to be ready to start again. The problem is I have added a FN 5.7 to my collection and there doesn't seem to be a problem finding dies there does not seem to be a caliber conversion kit for the Dillon 650. With no way to hold the cases the Dillon is useless. So is it possible to reload 5.7X28 on the Dillon 650 or do I need to buy another press?

I've been looking around for that, too. As far as I know, there's nothing for the 650. There is an aftermarket shellplate for the 550. Dillon's answer was the round was too small for their presses.

I could live with inserting a case at a time if I could solve the shellplate and expander.

I have been thinking about buying a single stage press a few years back when I was still reloading and before I bought the FN 5.7, and since dies are available from different manufacturers my best bet may be a single stage unless someone else has a solution for the dillon

Edited by silvercorvette

I would try the holder for .32 ACP, it just might give it enough grab.

I had thought about getting a single stage press a while back and since the 550 does not index automatically like the 650 maybe the 550 can also be used also as a single stage. Maybe I should buy a 550 and let it do double duty as a single stage, does anyone use the 550 as a single stage?

Does anyone know where I can get shell plate for the 550?

Elite Ammunition lists the plate for the 550. http://www.eliteammunition.net/catalog/item/7414998/7751513.htm $75.

This is from the Dillon Precision Forum

"dillon

Posted by: dillon

Posted on: 2010-06-10 at 12:11:35 PM

Dillon does not offer a conversion kit for this cartridge. The small case head diameter causes priming problems, plus the blowback design of the firearms chambered for this cartridge cause the shoulder to blow out .090-.100", causing additional reloading problems unique to this cartridge. The "A" funnel will work, but we will not offer a shellplate for it. "

I haven't seen anything for the 650 in my search.

I did a bunch of checking around and confirmed what I already knew about Dillon, they don't support the 5.7. I also double checked that they have no future plans to support the round which kind of ticks me off.

While I was checking out a Hornady single stage to reload the 5.7 I discovered that I discovered that Hornady makes a custom 5.7 plate for their progressive press. So I am probably going to buy the Hornady press as a second press

Shot with a guy yesterday who loads 5.7 on his 550. PM me if interested in where he got his stuff...

I was aware that someone other than Dillon is making shell plates for the 550 but I own the 650. Since Hornady does sell a 5.7 shell plate I am seriously considering getting the Hornady progressive. Most people that I have heard of having multiple presses stick with one brand but I'll keep the 650 along with the Hornady. If I wind up with both I will be interesting to do a side by side comparison of the 2 brands.

Shot with a guy yesterday who loads 5.7 on his 550. PM me if interested in where he got his stuff...

I was aware that someone other than Dillon is making shell plates for the 550 but I own the 650. Since Hornady does sell a 5.7 shell plate I am seriously considering getting the Hornady progressive. Most people that I have heard of having multiple presses stick with one brand but I'll keep the 650 along with the Hornady. If I wind up with both I will be interesting to do a side by side comparison of the 2 brands.

Ok I guess I misread. Got a buddy that just ordered an LNL, anxious to see how well it works. Good luck :cheers:

My understanding is with the Hornady shellplate you still need to resize,deprime and reprime on a single stage. Additionally, wear on the varnish coating of the case will cause magazine feeding problems.

Thank you for the reply, I just don't understand why Dillon does not give the reloaded the option for reloading the 5.7X28 and just warn that there may be problems and then allow the reloader to proceed at their own risk.

EDIT

===========================================

How about selling the part with a buyer beware warning such as Dillon does not recommend reloading this round and will not provide technical support for it, if the customer insists on buying it then buy and use at your own risk..

I did some moving around the past few years between N.Y , T.X, and finally settled in S.C during which time my press collected dust for over 3 years and wasn't aware if Dillon had decided to support the FN 5.7. When I decided to start up again I had hoped things would have changed

My 650 press has worked flawlessly and if I ever did have a problem with a part Dillon always took care of me and offered great advice and technical support on the phone, but it really ticks me off that Dillon will not support this round

Edited by silvercorvette

We are firmly committed to the safety of our customers. The 5.7 FN cartridge,because it is fired from an unlocked blowback firearm, has the shoulder blow forward from .090" to .100" when it is fired. This means the brass is excessively worked when the case is resized, and often contributes to out of battery firing and early case failure. Additionally, by virtue of the rim diameter of the case, in order to reprime would require a redesign of the platform and primer seating system. We learned the difficulty of this when working on a 25ACP conversion kit years ago. The combination of the difficulty of loading safe ammunition, combined with the R&D costs plus the ultimate high cost of a platform and conversion kit just for this caliber, has led to our decision not to support the 5.7 FN on our equipment. The additional issues of the need of a varnish coating to ensure ammunition feeding just add another layer of difficulty to reloading this cartridge. In our opinion, the 5.7 FN was not designed to be reloaded. The fact that the brass is centrally-primed does not alter this.

We are firmly committed to the safety of our customers. The 5.7 FN cartridge,because it is fired from an unlocked blowback firearm, has the shoulder blow forward from .090" to .100" when it is fired. This means the brass is excessively worked when the case is resized, and often contributes to out of battery firing and early case failure. Additionally, by virtue of the rim diameter of the case, in order to reprime would require a redesign of the platform and primer seating system. We learned the difficulty of this when working on a 25ACP conversion kit years ago. The combination of the difficulty of loading safe ammunition, combined with the R&D costs plus the ultimate high cost of a platform and conversion kit just for this caliber, has led to our decision not to support the 5.7 FN on our equipment. The additional issues of the need of a varnish coating to ensure ammunition feeding just add another layer of difficulty to reloading this cartridge. In our opinion, the 5.7 FN was not designed to be reloaded. The fact that the brass is centrally-primed does not alter this.

Thanks for your response, it has helped me understand things a little better. I still feel that I would like to have the chance to have the option, but I don't Blame Dillon. From what I gathered from your reply a good portion of the problem is the fault of sue happy lawyers. I guess that if I were in charge of making decisions over at Dillon I probably would not support the round due to fear of being put out of business by a sue happy lawyer decides it was irresponsible for the reason you mentioned in your reply. I haven't changed my mind about reloading the 5.7 and I will eventually do it. I know there are people that make shell plates for the 550 and there are people that are reloading the round on the 550 successfully but I would not want to see Dillon put out business because of someone having a mishap involving a Dillon machine reloading the 5.7 and the company was held responsible.

I don't blame them. I picked up 500 pieces of 5.7 brass over the course of a year to sell. I tumbled them only to find that the cartridge is so squirreley that corncob media renders it less useful.

I don't know what I'm going to do with all of that brass.

Head to castboolits.gunloads.com and sell it to the guys that swage their own bullets. They use the 5.7 FN brass for jackets to make .30 caliber bullets.

What do you think I am saving mine for. :D

I have my third BT set on the way, .458 for making bullets for my .458 SOCOM out of .45 ACP cases.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

• 8 years later...

I know this is an OLD  topic, but I just ran across it.

I have a Dillon RL1050, Detroit Ammo offers a  shellplate for 5.7x28 for it.

There is NO WAY I’d consider loading 5.7x28 on a progressive press.

Only on a single stage press, if properly loaded and mildly charged you can get 5 - 8 loadings per casing.