Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used Gun Buyer Beware

TheBrick

I recently have been humbled after buying a used gun.

A little background; 34 years Law enforcement, 15 years LEO firearms instructor, past certified armorer in S&W revolvers/semi-auto, Colt revolvers, Sig-Sauer pistols, Glock pistols and someone who would not ever again buy a used car from any dealer after having bought a lemon.

I have been looking for quite awhile for a Colt Cobra revolver, I recently found one at a local dealer. The price was not too high nor too low but I still was suspect because it was about 95% and gave a very pretty appearance.

I gave it all the armorer's tests that I could remember and it passed with flying colors. However, when I got it home and played with it some more, I found that it would lock-up when fired in the verticle position(dummy rounds). Normally this would not be a problem except that I was trained to test guns in any position they were likely to be fired. Prone while trying to defend yourself against a bad guy with this gun would not work.

The problem was the cylinder latch not being properly aligned with the recoil plate which was, in all probability, a problem right from the factory many, many years ago.

Even someone who knows what to look for can be taken.

Buyer Beware!!!!

Peter

I wouldn't feel that bad. Just get it fixed. You got a gun you wanted, that's out of production and 95%.

I agree with Merlin, too. I doubt they knew it wouldn't lock up that way. I have a few revo's and I honestly can't say I know for a fact that any of them fire vertically either. If the dealer is reputable maybe they'd at least help get it fixed for you.

Edited by bofe954

Have you contacted Colt? What little experience I've had with their customer service has been positive. They would probably repair it no charge.

I don't think I'd send a vintage gun to the factory for repair. The generation that built that gun has long since retired and taken their knowledge with them.

I've purchased a few used guns from my favorite local shop. I've had similar issues and my shop has repaired at no charge.

I had a mini 30 that when fired would release the trigger assembly and allow it to fall to the ground. (Spring tension latch, no tool field strip)

Very difficult to replicate without firing. When I brought it up to their gun smith, he was happy to repair for me and offered to install a muzzle break for any inconvenience.

Had a Walther PPKs that had an ever so slightly warped hammer strut. It would cause the hammer to frame lock when firing 92 grain rounds.(90 fired just fine)

Same thing, brought it in, explained the issue and repaired and polished it for me, then polished up the slide frame rails showing me that they had become a little sharp and could scar the frame.

Just a couple examples of not so obvious issues and why I remain a customer and a very loyal one at that.

Talk to the shop, give them the chance to do the right thing, if not, repair and enjoy the great revolver!

Besides... after all I have been hearing about gen 4 glocks, its not just used guns that are having issues. (nothing against glocks per-say. Just off the top of my head example.)

I bought a used TA-90 at a gun show, and got burned, but I fixed the broken firing pin, and chalked it up to experience. The upside? I know my pistol inside and out, and am enjoying the fruits of my labors, shooting it every week!The firing pin had to be modded by myself to function properly with the slide safety, but I ended up with a pistol I enjoy.-------Metalguy ;)