Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

point of view video cam?

Jin

I have some of the i-Kam glasses they are allot of fun to play with but mine broke in about 3 months and had to send them back to be fixed. I dont know if this was a fluke or if they are not reliable. They will still record but I am unable to download anything from them. The manufacture said they can fix them. Also like you said the resolution is not as good as a nice video camera.

I was looking at the GoPro at Best Buy tonight. Looks like a nice unit. Search for gopro on YouTube for some reviews and video shot by this cam. I was thinking how the 720p 60frames/sec would pick up quick action. Also says it's waterproof housing is good up to 180', so could be a versatile cam.

Trey

I was looking at the GoPro at Best Buy tonight. Looks like a nice unit. Search for gopro on YouTube for some reviews and video shot by this cam. I was thinking how the 720p 60frames/sec would pick up quick action. Also says it's waterproof housing is good up to 180', so could be a versatile cam.

Trey

I do not have a GoPro until but have several friends that do. They all reeally like it.

thanks for the information fellas. i like the price point of the Hero 960, all the available mounting accessories, and versatility.

I haven't seen it in person, but to me it looks a bit bulky to be stuck on your forehead...i guess that's the price you pay for durabitly and being water proof.

plan to check it out today...

Edited by Jin

Those cameras that George posted up are nice, the GoPro is cool but as you noted its form factor is not as well suited as the others for our applications. Tested one with a pic rail mount and got some cool video from it but wouldn't want to shoot a match with it on there!

I briefly flirted with the eyeglass cameras, picked up a cheapy model out of Hong Kong to play with -- and I quickly realized that the video functionality wasn't worth giving up my ANSI-rated Oakleys!!! Confidence in protecting my eyes was more important to me!

I'm leaning toward a ContourHD. Some buddies have found they mount nicely on their ear pro (with an over the head band).

Those cameras that George posted up are nice, the GoPro is cool but as you noted its form factor is not as well suited as the others for our applications. Tested one with a pic rail mount and got some cool video from it but wouldn't want to shoot a match with it on there!

I briefly flirted with the eyeglass cameras, picked up a cheapy model out of Hong Kong to play with -- and I quickly realized that the video functionality wasn't worth giving up my ANSI-rated Oakleys!!! Confidence in protecting my eyes was more important to me!

I'm leaning toward a ContourHD. Some buddies have found they mount nicely on their ear pro (with an over the head band).

I have had good results mounting the Contour on standard earmuffs using the flat surface mount and adhesive pads it comes with.

nice, i like what I am reading/seeing regarding the countour hd. i especially like the shape and the laser guide.

contour is out of my price range right now; and i can't pass up the "friendly" price my friend just quoted me on a Hero 960.

i would like to get it up and running to test it out during an IDPA match tomorrow; will report back.

Edited by Jin

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking at the Drift HD170 but I can't stand the 170º lens, the super wide angle fisheye thing... makes it hard to watch and gets me sea sick. ;)

I'm really underwhelmed by much of the video quality I see. I have an older Archos setup which is a giant piece of crap, battery life is all but nonexistent. I didn't recommend it when I go it, nor do I now. But it has an 80-90º POV, and while it's more of a pain to get lined up, at least you can see what I was shooting at. And while the resolution is nothing to brag about, the pictures are bright and doesn't make everything look 100 miles away. Too bad it's such a POS. :roflol:

I wish they made something in between. The image quality of the HD170.... without the 170.

The Drift has 2 settings. 720 is the super wide angle. 1080 zooms in some (I think it is around 130 degrees). In pistol matches, the 170 degree has worked pretty well (I had a camera that had a very limited field of view before this one and it sucked - was not forgiving at all. Ended up with a lot of forearm to front site videos only). Only on shots longer than 30 - 50 yards do I feel that a zoom function would be nice. Most pistol stages show up fine at the super wide setting. As long as you are not going through a tunnel or corridor, the fish eye effect is not overly annoying. However, on 3 gun events, you loose the rifle targets past 30 or so yards....

Edited by HS101

1080HD! So I'll be able to make movies that I can't possible watch on this old computer. :roflol:

That's another thing that's holding me back. I need to get some raw video, import it and see what I can do with it, or if this ol' sucker comes to a complete stand still trying to edit it. :rolleyes:

Unless your computer is fairly new and has a fast processor (typically need a core duo or better), plenty of RAM and a good video card you won't be able to play 1080P video without glitching/stopping. Even 720P requires a fairly modern system. My 5 year old midrange IBM ThinkPad will barely play really low data rate 720P and won't touch 1080P at all. None of my older Mac PowerBook G4's will play 1080P even though they are the most powerful ones that were ever made with tons of ram and 128MB video cards. Nothing short of the newer Intel Macs, or at the very least a dual processor G5 tower with a powerful video card will play this stuff.

In other words, these new-fangled HD camcorders need new-fangled computers to work and if you don't have one you are SOL ;)

None of my older Mac PowerBook G4's will play 1080P )

933mhz here. State of the art 2002. B)

Hear ya' still have a pristine PowerBook G4, 1.4Ghz processor, 2GB SDRAM, 128MB video card, 7200 RPM HD upgrade and it barely plays low data rate 720P. State of the art in late 2005, paperweight a year later when the Intel machines arrived :-(

Online video is about the only thing I struggle with, the related sites loaded down with tons of flash. And that's only in the last year less. Otherwise it does everything I could ever want.

(I have a nice 400mhz G3 sitting on the floor I don't know what to do with cuz I don't want to throw it out like the previous owner did) :roflol:

I want a new Mac. And I could probably scrimp and save, beg borrow and steal to get one. But I need to find out if all my old software (the important stuff anyway) will work with it, because I'm NOT buying that all new. If it won't, I'll happily stay stuck in 2002. :D

Edited by cas

Online video is about the only thing I struggle with, the related sites loaded down with tons of flash. And that's only in the last year less. Otherwise it does everything I could ever want.

(I have a nice 400mhz G3 sitting on the floor I don't know what to do with cuz I don't want to throw it out like the previous owner did) :roflol:

I want a new Mac. And I could probably scrimp and save, beg borrow and steal to get one. But I need to find out if all my old software (the important stuff anyway) will work with it, because I'm NOT buying that all new. If it won't, I'll happily stay stuck in 2002. :D

If you are already running OS 10 at least Tiger (10.4) there is pretty nothing much that won't work on a new Intel Mac. It is unbelievably easy to move forward into a new Mac machine nowadays if you have upgraded to Tiger already. Apples Migration Assistant allows you to plug the old computer into the new one with a firewire cable and it automatically moves everything from the old machine into the new machine. All you data moves into the new versions of Apples apps (Mail, iTunes,iPhoto, Address Book etc...) and fully installs all your old 3rd party applications ready to go along with moving all of your user data across. It's amazingly simple to move to a new Mac nowadays and be back up and running in just a couple hours after you get the new machine.

If you are still in OS10.3 or earlier you would need to do all the updates through the OS versions first to get to Tiger, not too tough, but you need the update discs. If you are still in OS9, you are basically SOL and almost nothing in the way of old apps will come forward.

Those old G3 and G4 towers can still do work. I have two G3 PowerMacs (Blue & White) that are heavily hot-rodded (big video cards, full boat of RAM, large HD and processor upgrades) that do DVD burning, audio editing and act as scanning and photo workstations. I also have 3 working G4 Powermacs ranging from 500Mhz to 1.4Ghz and all are running Leopard and handle most of my day-to-day needs at home and work. Heck, my portable is a beater 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4 that I have had since 2003.

Let me know when you decide to step up to a new machine and I can give you a few tips to make the process a lot easier.