Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 9mm Quality Control

GlockOp

I just started loading 9mm with a new Dillon 550B about 6 weeks ago. In the first 200 or 300 loads I had several rounds that did not feed well and one squib. I then began checking each round in my Dillon 9mm Gauge. Every 50 to 100 I check several for OAL and Crimp size. Since I started this I have not had any failures during competitions.

I also noticed that when I start a string of loads, the first one or two out of the press are a little short and this also happens with the last one or two rounds when finishing loading and clearing the press. What do those of you who have been reloading for years do to assure consistent quality in you reloads?

Regards

Mike

I also noticed that when I start a string of loads, the first one or two out of the press are a little short and this also happens with the last one or two rounds when finishing loading and clearing the press. What do those of you who have been reloading for years do to assure consistent quality in you reloads?

Regards

Mike

This is due to tension on your shell plate. The amount of tension can change based on the number of rounds in the press. Mine is fairly snug on my 650 to avoid this issue. Be careful if you have a 650 though, too tight will snap your index ring. On a 550, too tight means you cannot index the press.

Edited by DyNo!

Unless you are short by about 0.01", it really won't matter (it has to be enough that you can see the difference). The big concern is bullet set-back from chambering a round. Have you cycled an inert dummy round a couple of times just to be sure that the bullet tension is good?

I find that it is important to check the shell plate tension once in a while. With the hand-indexing of the 550, I assume that you will feel a difference.

Regards

Mike

This is due to tension on your shell plate. The amount of tension can change based on the number of rounds in the press. Mine is fairly snug on my 650 to avoid this issue. Be careful if you have a 650 though, too tight will snap your index ring. On a 550, too tight means you cannot index the press.

Unless you are short by about 0.01", it really won't matter (it has to be enough that you can see the difference). The big concern is bullet set-back from chambering a round. Have you cycled an inert dummy round a couple of times just to be sure that the bullet tension is good?

I find that it is important to check the shell plate tension once in a while. With the hand-indexing of the 550, I assume that you will feel a difference.

Yes they cycle fine, but I am definitely tightening the shell plate just a bit. Thanks for the help.

Mike

Won't take long to learn the feel of the machine, if it doesn't feel right start checking for something loose.

Set mine from 38 special to 9mm this afternoon, usually tighten the shell plate till it snug, tighten the set screw the back out on the Shell Plate bolt till the Shell Plate moves.

Have fun with your new 550.

To Bob and everyone who replied. What do you do when checking loaded rounds. Gauge them, measure OAL, Measure length? I want to add some consistent steps to my post reloading that will avoid failures. I'm sure most ammo manufacturers have some method for checking their loads. Any suggestions?

Mike

When loading with a 550 you can see the powder in the shell before you seat the bullet. That should eliminate any squibs. In our game you are not looking for ultimate accuracy. Just load them and case guage them or check them in your barrel (take it out of the gun first). If they pass the case guage or chamber check you are good to go. Don't try to have everything perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a case gauge. Use it on every single round you load. Done.

I never touch my powder measure (only load one load, in one caliber) so I just confirm the measure is dropping the right amount. Crank out about 20 rounds. Check the last 10 for OAL and, and inspect them for crimp.

Then case gauge EVERY round when you're done. If the primers are fully seated and they gauge, they WILL run perfectly as long as the gun is reliable.

Buy a case gauge. Use it on every single round you load. Done.

I never touch my powder measure (only load one load, in one caliber) so I just confirm the measure is dropping the right amount. Crank out about 20 rounds. Check the last 10 for OAL and, and inspect them for crimp.

Then case gauge EVERY round when you're done. If the primers are fully seated and they gauge, they WILL run perfectly as long as the gun is reliable.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I have had a case gauge since I first started reloading. I have been checking every round for the last month and have had 0 problems. Evan your reply is what I was really looking for. I have been checking OAL once in awhile, but this is a good idea. In addition I only reload one caliber and check the powder measure every few days. It has been consistent as have been my OAL and Crimp.Now that I do not worry about every round in a competition, it lets me concentrate on the job at hand.

Thanks

Mike

I didn't read every post here but you might want to "chamber check" every round also just to be safe/sure. Sometimes this will be a better check.

FWIW

Richard

PS: Nothing is 100%, especially in a match! Ask me how I know.

I will second the chamber check. When I was reloading JHPs, they would case gauge no problem, but when I chamber checked, they would stick. I found my CZ SP01 barrel is slightly smaller than the Dillon Case gauge. Based on what I've read in these forums, some barrels are slightly larger than the case gauge, some slightly smaller. Know which one you have, otherwise case gauging might not be the end all test, it wasn't for me.

Just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try a undersize sizing die. I use a old lee carbide sizing die in my 550 and have never had a failure to feed due to sizing in a wide variety on guns. The undersize die probably reduces brass life a little, but 9mm brass is very easy to pick up off the ground. I never have to case gauge with this method.