Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Ready for Major

Bubber

Well finaly took the 6.5 inch 45 cal. of 1955 barrel out of the safe and attached it to my used to be 5 inch 625-4. :cheers: It feels different enough for me to get used to it again. I plan on giving shooting major an honest try this year in USPSA. I used Redneck engineering to take the old barrel off and put the "new" one on. Split a 4 foot 2X4 and added three bolts for the tool to take the barrel off with 2 1X4 in a vise. Hey it worked better than using the pipe wrench I have laying around. I'll post a pic when I find my camera. Doesn't look different than the ones I have seen on the Forum. Right now I am starting with 3.5 of Clays behind a 230 grain Molly. :sight: Will Chrono as soon as it warms up some. I'll let you know what happens. later rdd

Well finaly took the 6.5 inch 45 cal. of 1955 barrel out of the safe and attached it to my used to be 5 inch 625-4. :cheers: It feels different enough for me to get used to it again. I plan on giving shooting major an honest try this year in USPSA. I used Redneck engineering to take the old barrel off and put the "new" one on. Split a 4 foot 2X4 and added three bolts for the tool to take the barrel off with 2 1X4 in a vise. Hey it worked better than using the pipe wrench I have laying around. I'll post a pic when I find my camera. Doesn't look different than the ones I have seen on the Forum. Right now I am starting with 3.5 of Clays behind a 230 grain Molly. :sight: Will Chrono as soon as it warms up some. I'll let you know what happens. later rdd

Good luck Bubber. I think you will probably adding a couple of tenths to get a cushion on the PF. Are they going to kick you out of the Shooting Minor Revolver Shooter's Union?

Good luck Bubber. I think you will probably adding a couple of tenths to get a cushion on the PF. Are they going to kick you out of the Shooting Minor Revolver Shooter's Union?

With my reputation they will have no proof of me shooting major until they get a chrony on me. Much the same way they had proving I was shooting minor when claiming major here locally. :devil: The 3.7 kicks pretty hard with the 6.5 and I can see the recoil with 3.5 just need to test to be sure. later rdd

let me try this again. well this ain't wurkin. I'll get back to ya.

twins

It is my 44mag 29 nickle and my "NEW" 525 6 and 1/2 inch

Edited by Bubber

let me try this again. well this ain't wurkin. I'll get back to ya.

twins

It is my 44mag 29 nickle and my "NEW" 525 6 and 1/2 inch

Could not see your guns. Saw a picture of Jennifer Aniston's rear end. I'll settle for that. Higher caliber.

Dang it just cain't seem to get the hang of this here putor thang. But yea Underlug Jen shore looks nice...in a kinky sorta way. :devil: later rdd

Well 3.5 in my 6.5 with 230 grain Billy bullet, average over 8 shots gave me a 166 pf. One testing gave me 5 out of the 8 making over the 165 floor, The other run gave me 6 out of 8 over the floor. At 3.7 it gave me a 176 to 179 PF. Extreme spreads were 31 to 33 on the 3.5 and 34 to 39 on the 3.7. SD's were in the 10.6 to 11.8 range from 3.5 to 3.7. It looks like 3.6 is in my future. Temp was around 44 to 48 degrees. I am using Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers. Now, Underlug I may be in hot water from the Minor Shooting Revo Guild. Or the M.S.R.G. as they are called. :ph34r: later rdd

Hey Bubber, what's up with the magnum primers? Or is that a trade secret?

Shadowrider, I dislike having to change over from small pistol to large pistol for the 45. As I shoot a lot of 38super in Revo and 38 special, Bones turned me on to the NT 45 Brass which uses the small pistol primers. We did some experimenting and found that we had to up the powder load with regular small pistol but was closer with the small rifle primers. Small Rifle being harder than small pistol we went to small pistol magnum for a hotter spark to burn the powder better. And yes it is a trade secret so don't tell anyone, especialy No343. I am having a hard enough time keeping ahead of him. :ph34r: On a side note, are you making the OKC ICORE match this Saturday? It will have 4 classifiers for ICORE.

Hey Bubber, what's up with the magnum primers? Or is that a trade secret?

Shadowrider, I dislike having to change over from small pistol to large pistol for the 45. As I shoot a lot of 38super in Revo and 38 special, Bones turned me on to the NT 45 Brass which uses the small pistol primers. We did some experimenting and found that we had to up the powder load with regular small pistol but was closer with the small rifle primers. Small Rifle being harder than small pistol we went to small pistol magnum for a hotter spark to burn the powder better. And yes it is a trade secret so don't tell anyone, especialy No343. I am having a hard enough time keeping ahead of him. :ph34r: On a side note, are you making the OKC ICORE match this Saturday? It will have 4 classifiers for ICORE.

Well that makes perfect sense. Now I'll quit throwing all my NT brass in the trash can from now on. I hate that stuff, you guys can have it.

I'm sure going to try. It's a big one this month. ICORE Sat., 3Gun and Heartland Sunday. :cheers:

Well 3.5 in my 6.5 with 230 grain Billy bullet, average over 8 shots gave me a 166 pf. One testing gave me 5 out of the 8 making over the 165 floor, The other run gave me 6 out of 8 over the floor. At 3.7 it gave me a 176 to 179 PF. Extreme spreads were 31 to 33 on the 3.5 and 34 to 39 on the 3.7. SD's were in the 10.6 to 11.8 range from 3.5 to 3.7. It looks like 3.6 is in my future. Temp was around 44 to 48 degrees. I am using Federal Small Pistol Magnum primers. Now, Underlug I may be in hot water from the Minor Shooting Revo Guild. Or the M.S.R.G. as they are called. :ph34r: later rdd

I'll tell Jerry V he may be a member of a one man union

Hope your 1955 6.5" gives you better accuracy than mine did. I loved my R Lee tuned 6.5 1955, balance and feel were great,but I finally gave up on the accuracy. Shot fmj's okay, but would not shoot cast for anything. Probably should have experimented with .454" cast bullets, but ran out of patients and went with Carmoney tuned 5" 625.

Right now I am starting with 3.5 of Clays behind a 230 grain Molly.

Bubber -

I took my 5" 625 to the range today and chrono'd a 230gr LRN (Missouri Bullet) over 3.5gr Clay's. Based on what I read, I didn't expect it to make major, especially since it was a cool 38F. I was pleasantly surprised to find it made it with some room to spare (735 +/- 6 fps = 169k pf).

Tom

My 1955 didn't shoot well with cast bullets either. I could only get jacketed bullets to shoot well in it. I also use my 5" 1988 625 for shooting lead.

Neal in AZ

This has been my experience also. I currently own five 25-2s, and I've never seen one that does well with "normal-sized" cast bullets. Some will do OK with unsized bullets, or bullets sized to .454". They shoot fine with jacketed bullets.

That's odd Tom, 3.5 won't get me even close to major in my 4" JM 625, I make it at 3.9, but get much better accuracy at 4.1

Don't take this the wrong way John, but that extra inch is important.

You'll find getting the powder back against the primer prior to ignition will help too.

What's the rule of Thumb? 50fps/inch? That'd take the same load to only pf 157.5k (635 fps) in a 4" gun. When I shoot ESR, I'll have to bump it a bit.

Some guns just seem to run faster than others, too. I'm able to easily make SSR PF with my 686 with the same load of Clay's (3.5gr), while others seem to have to bump it up some.

You'll find getting the powder back against the primer prior to ignition will help too.

Yep - I raised the muzzle and tapped the cylinder between each shot to settle the powder. Seems to keep the SD reasonable as well.

Tom

That's odd Tom, 3.5 won't get me even close to major in my 4" JM 625, I make it at 3.9, but get much better accuracy at 4.1

Thanks for the "tip" Craig, I've heard an extra inch can make all the difference, I just compensate with heavier bullets