Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All right you 930 ponderers

kurtm

I will be sending a full on tactical one to mossberg soon for their engineers to work off of. Should not be long I hope. I told them to get it right the first time as they will not get a 2nd.

If they DO get it right, AND AT THE RIGHT PRICE... they'll sell a truck load of them.

Jeff

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the evaluation guys... The 930 really has my interest as a home defense shotgun. I'm hoping Mossberg will truly take your suggestions to heart... If they do, it sounds like the 930 will really reward Mossberg handsomely!

I had the opportunity to take Kurt's 930 test mule for a spin this past weekend. It has some serious potential. The gun looks great, loaded well. The biggest negative I felt was that strange stock angle that directed the recoil into my cheek. I sent them an email praising them for trying. Hopefully they take this thing seriously. It would be great to have an entry level inexpensive shotgun for all these new shooters we have wanting to get into the sport.

Edited by jtischauser

I had the opportunity to take Kurt's 930 test mule for a spin this past weekend. It has some serious potential. The gun looks great, loaded well. The biggest negative I felt was that strange stock angle that directed the recoil into my cheek. I sent them an email praising them for trying. Hopefully they take this thing seriously. It would be great to have an entry level inexpensive shotgun for all these new shooters we have wanting to get into the sport.

Were you on crutches or the "Scooter" ? :D

So, what's the bottom line on buying a 930 for home defense (like the Security model or the SPX)... is the current offering relatively good to go, or with a few minor modifications anyway?

I have an SPX that runs like a champ. I am having a barrel cut for next year. It is a fun gun and reliable, but for me, a shotgun is not my first choice for HD.

So, what's the bottom line on buying a 930 for home defense (like the Security model or the SPX)... is the current offering relatively good to go, or with a few minor modifications anyway?

I have an SPX that runs like a champ. I am having a barrel cut for next year. It is a fun gun and reliable, but for me, a shotgun is not my first choice for HD.

Of course their are web sites out there that can help those needing home defense info. This one is filled with paper and plate game shooters. wink.gif

Edited by Jman

Ed... The reliability is what I was wondering about. It would be one of three guns used in HD (AR in 6.8 and pistols being the others.) For close range in home defense, it's tough to beat 00 buck for effectiveness. The AR is a nice platform, with many attributes, but 5.56 is not the most reliable "stopper".

Imam... Yes, I realize this isn't a defense oriented site, but there are experienced 930 shooters here whose opinion I wanted when it comes to the reliability of the gun.

Edited by DHart

Ed... The reliability is what I was wondering about. It would be one of three guns used in HD (AR in 6.8 and pistols being the others.) For close range in home defense, it's tough to beat 00 buck for effectiveness. The AR is a great platform with wonderful attributes, but 5.56 is not the most reliable "stopper".

Imam... Yes, I realize this isn't a defense oriented site, but there are experienced 930 shooters here whose opinion I wanted when it comes to the reliability of the gun.

Edited by DHart

Ed... Functional reliability is what I was wondering about. It would be one of three guns used in HD (AR in 6.8 and pistols being the others.) For close range in home defense, it's tough to beat 00 buck for effectiveness. The AR is a great platform with wonderful attributes, but 5.56 is not the most reliable "stopper".

Ed... The reliability is what I was wondering about. It would be one of three guns used in HD (AR in 6.8 and pistols being the others.) For close range in home defense, it's tough to beat 00 buck for effectiveness. The AR is a great platform with wonderful attributes, but 5.56 is not the most reliable "stopper".

Actually the 5.56 is an excellent stopper with good ammunition. (75 grain Hornady Tap and 77 grain MK 262 black hills ammo) most of the bad rep the 5.56 has gotten for stopping power has come from M855 ball ammo with a steel penetrator in the nose. This stuff does not perform that well. Anyway back on topic. I am waiting to see what Mossberg releases for the 930 in a race ready state. I am looking to pick one up for tactical class.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I am sort of new to the shotgun games so I am not really sure how 5.56 will work in a 930 :rolleyes:

Chuck... sorry, pal, slight thread drift for a couple of posts. Merry Christmas!

Phew, I thought I was shopping for the wrong size shell holders.. :roflol:

and a Happy New Year to you!

I have both a Mossberg 930 SPX and a FN SLP MKI. They are both great shotguns, with pros and cons for each of them.

DSC_0001.jpg

930 pros: light weight, soft shooting, feeds everything, sights, available pistol grip model, price,USA made, safety location

930 cons: 18.5" barrel, only 7+1 capacity, no chokes, sights, no sling attachments, durability?

FNH pros: 22 " barrel, 8+1 capacity, sights, interchangeable chokes, sling attachments, feeds everything

FNH cons: heavier, not as soft shooting, price, need to change pistons?, sights?

Edited by ninemmbill

As for the 930's capacity, that's just a Nordic extension away from change.

OFM did make a huge oopsie in not putting sling points on the factory gun. The front sling plates for the 870/1187 work, and there are now plates made for it. There used to just be the horrible molded in sling point at the rear or something like a Gear Sector FSA adapter, but there are now rear sling plates available for the 930. The rail system also allows for a rail-mounted front sling point.

I'd like to see the barrel options opened up to a 21" and 24" non-ported and non-VR type with chokes.

If the sights are a problem, the standard Security 930 or combo will eliminate that issue. If an MRDS or similar is desired, the rails again allow for that, including one of the off-set 1 o'clock sight options. That can be set up for either an electronic or post type sight unit.