Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After action report on SALIENT shotguns!

kurtm

Alright! I took a Salient M2 out to Benning. It was brand new and the only change I made to it was a Mr. Weakhand speed closing tab, as the Arrendondo closing tab gets in my way when port loading. Not a bad thing just I wasn't used to it! I functioned it at home with a grand total of 20 rounds of shot and 6 slugs. I found it liked to throw those slugs out of an I.C. (Perish the thought!! Lt. Mod for me!, and thanks to Mike Pinto for getting me on track!). Now normally I would NEVER run a shotgun with that few of rounds through it for a match, but what the heck it is the end of a great year for me and I thought what better test! So, out to the Pre Benning Practice party at Jeff Cramblits and I let any and everyone shoot it! By the time I got to Benning it had about another 250 through it, Slugs and shot! Why clean it now? Well I didn't! and NO oil outside of what it came with. I took it to the match and it ran FLAWLESSLY!!! It is by far the smoothest fastest cycling Benelli I have ever had! The Trigger is GREAT and it has ALL the stuff done to it that I would do myself! IT IS COMPLETE!!! I did notice that it has a bit more recoil than the cammo "Weakhand" M1 because the bolt is about 3 ounces lighter, but outside of that, as the Italians say MOLTO BENE!!!

Speaking of "recoil" and the Salient My Salient Team Mate Katy Harris, a petite 16 year old woman, handled the Salient she just got as well as I did and just plain smoked the shotgun stages, so all you tough guys out there who say Benelli,s kick too much just ougth to watch her! The Salient is without a doubt the best "off the shelf" competition shotgun going and I give them a 25+++ on a scale of 1-10!!!!!!

A great big thanks to Tony Pignato at Velocity Shooters for getting the gun out to me and more than I can say thanks to Taran for getting it all set up finally! You guys are fammily!!!

KurtM

Edited by kurtm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the update Kurt.

I just ordered mine last week. Glad I got my order in before your glowing review.

Tony said that the elves were working on the next batch that mine is in.

Shot a friends Salient and fell in love with it.

I hope mine arrives before Santa!

+25 on the +25. I got mine about a month ago and still cannot believe how smooth it is. It took me a while to find exactly what "PERFECT" shotgun to get and I found it. It is called "The Salient" M2 Benelli. Thank you Taran and Tony.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Interesting..... I've been shooting my SLP for 2 years and I've never had a malf, but it is difficult to load quickly. I was reading about Salient on the 3 Gun Nation website and it made me think about eating the spaghetti.

It's good to get some feedback about this shotgun and I look forward to hearing a little more before I place my order.

So.....should I get a Salient Benelli or wait until Mossberg has their new 930 3 Gun Shotgun ready to go from the factory?

Edited by DMAC

Interesting..... I've been shooting my SLP for 2 years and I've never had a malf, but it is difficult to load quickly. I was reading about Salient on the 3 Gun Nation website and it made me think about eating the spaghetti.

It's good to get some feedback about this shotgun and I look forward to hearing a little more before I place my order.

So.....should I get a Salient Benelli or wait until Mossberg has their new 930 3 Gun Shotgun ready to go from the factory?

IMHO, I would get a Salient ASAP. I had been looking to get a new shotgun because it is hard to reload my JP 1187. It took me a while because I have only had 1 malfunction with my 1187. When I saw the information on the Salient I jump on it. I can shoot one, reload four, and shoot one in under 3.5 seconds. I could never do that with my 1187. I also performed a speed test and shot 10 rounds in 1.92 seconds with the first round in .32. Again, my 1187 could never do that.

Call Tony at Velocity Shooters-(859) 533-3612 and he will hook you up!!!!!!!

Edited by Chivas

The Salient will be like having a J.P. rifle as opposed to a m-4 off the shelf rifle. The Mossberg is going to be a good gun, but it won't be a Salient....ever. KurtM

There you have it. I definitely like competing with my JP a lot more than my "tactical" ARs for 3 gun. It probably won't do much to improve my score for a middle of the pack shooter, but I'm happy there and like supporting the firearms industry.

What kind of front sight do the Salient Shotguns come with? The pictures on Velocity shooter and the one I looked at during the Pan American Shotgun match only had the cheesy little stock red bead. There also was no rear sight at all. Has this changed?

The thing I liked the most when I handled the gun was the stippling on the grip and forearm so I had my local guru AI treat my M2 to the same texture.

What kind of front sight do the Salient Shotguns come with? The pictures on Velocity shooter and the one I looked at during the Pan American Shotgun match only had the cheesy little stock red bead. There also was no rear sight at all. Has this changed?

The thing I liked the most when I handled the gun was the stippling on the grip and forearm so I had my local guru AI treat my M2 to the same texture.

Same cheesy little stock red bead. I put a Williams "Universal Vent Rib Slugger Shotgun Fire Sight Set" and it works great.

post-25587-085870600 1292280785_thumb.jp

Same cheesy little stock red bead. I put a Williams "Universal Vent Rib Slugger Shotgun Fire Sight Set" and it works great.

For that kind of money I would expect it to have some sort of long light pipe on it already. I guess there are a lot of different preferences out there.

BENNY DIS LIKE THE ONE'S I USE ON MY SHOTGUN :sight:

• 2 weeks later...

Any more feedback on this from shooters? I'm really feeling an itch to get one. I have the cash, but I think I would prefer to sell something (like my Open Pistol that is awesome that I never shoot), and get one of these ASAP. BRM3G is just 4 months away!

Any more feedback on this from shooters? I'm really feeling an itch to get one. I have the cash, but I think I would prefer to sell something (like my Open Pistol that is awesome that I never shoot), and get one of these ASAP. BRM3G is just 4 months away!

If I were you call Tony at Velocity Shooters ASAP and sell your Open pistol at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you call Tony at Velocity Shooters ASAP and sell your Open pistol at the same time.

I gave him a call an they have no more shotguns available. The only way you can get one now is to send them your gun and have Salient do the work. Apparently the lack of shotgun availability is so low in the US that Salient can no longer provide a turnkey service. M2 21" guns are almost impossible to find and it looks like listed prices are in the $1200 to $1349 price range. Add this to $1000 of work from Salient and you are looking at spending at least $2200 plus shipping for the work.

Does anyone know of any dealer in the US that has M2 field with 21" barrels in stock?

I know a guy that bought one at our local H&H gun range last week for $1200 plus tax and they had more. I put my hands on one at our local Heartland Outdoors shop yesterday. It was the only one the had. Maybe I should be buying these up and transferring them to an FFL near you? That's legal isn't it?

Another friend was planning to buy a 21" M2 one here earlier this week for $1119 shipped. Auction Arms.com.

Edited by jtischauser

Yeah, just get your hands on an M2 on gunbroker, and have it sent to your favirote shotgun gunsmith, and have them do the work on it. $1000 for the salient package :sick: JMHO thats pretty hefty for the the upgrades and mill work. I guess alot of that money goes to the middle man....

Yeah, just get your hands on an M2 on gunbroker, and have it sent to your favirote shotgun gunsmith, and have them do the work on it. $1000 for the salient package :sick: JMHO thats pretty hefty for the the upgrades and mill work. I guess alot of that money goes to the middle man....

Cool. I guess with that kinda logic we can expect your upcoming SLP/WIN steel replacement pistons to be dirt cheap as there will be no middle man. ;)

American Shooters in Vegas is a reseller of the Salient M2's and they have one left. I picked mine up from them a week before Nationals and love it. Call Jerry Bonura at (702) 362-1223 and he'll take care of you.

Cool. I guess with that kinda logic we can expect your upcoming SLP/WIN steel replacement pistons to be dirt cheap as there will be no middle man. ;)

It will be the same price as Briley offers it you for,just like everything else in my store.

Edited by Sean Gaines

Looks like I'll have my Saleint Benelli by next week in time for my local 3 Gun match on Saturday. I won't have any time to practice with it before the match, so I hope it likes my slugs and birdshot loads :cheers:

American Shooters in LV has exactly 1 left!

Edited by DMAC