Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Lock n Load primer catcher question

Mx Central

Tube going into a 1 lb powder bottle. Just barely sits on the floor as the press is cycled and once a few hundred spent primers are in there it keeps the tubing straight and haven't had any primers clog up the tube since taking this measure. Did have it dumping into a large plastic trash can but the tubing would get clogged every once in a while.

I wonder how many spent primers it takes to fill a 1lb powder bottle???

I seem to remember a coffee can went about 18# when full, but never bothered to do the math.

I have a piece of clear viny tubing going to a coffee can, which seems to work perfectly.

A tall plastic gallon jug like you get windshield wiper fluid in. drilled a hole in the top big enough for the plastic tubing which came with my press, and put a coule of zip ties on the tubing once through. Tube can't come out. When it fills up, I take the lid off a new empty jug, put it on the old full jug, and hook the new empty jug up to my cap contraption.  Old jug is now self-contained trash.

I originally tried the duct tape as well (use what you have; right?) but it finally came off and almost spilled used primers everywhere. That's when I remembered that bag of zip ties in the tool box. Problem solved.

The sound of the spent primer hitting the inside of my plastic bucket after it fall out of the tubing is part and parcel of the actual reloading sequence for me. If I don't hear it immediately, I know something is wrong and stop to check it out.

I just have a plastic grocery bag held on the end of mine... with a small hose clamp like device (a piece of wire, really). Then the handle of the grocery bag rides on the press handle. Sounds clumsy, but it works.