Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 inch guide rod break down and assembly?

Collecting A's

1. Lock slide back

2. Put a bent paperclip or something similar into the hole in the guide rod

3. release and remove slide stop

4. remove spring/guide rod from aft end of slide assembly

5. put guide rod/spring/recoil plug into a hole to compress spring, and remove paperclip.

HINT: The Brownell's bench block hole center hole is the one to use.

Edited by kmca

Hello: On my 2 6" STI 2011's I built I just unscrew the guide rod and take it apart. One is a bull barrel and the other a bushing barrel. I don't use any LocTite on the threads but tighten the guide rod after it is assembled. It has never come loose. Thanks, Eric

Yes, I put some blue loctite in mine just to keep it from coming out. Yeah its kind of PITA to take a part and put together, but I knew that going in, I clean my gun every 2k rounds, so its not like I am doing it all the time.

Here is a picture, forgive the dirty gun

post-6635-022116200 1291464137_thumb.jpg

1. Lock slide back

2. Put a bent paperclip or something similar into the hole in the guide rod

3. release and remove slide stop

4. remove spring/guide rod from aft end of slide assembly

5. put guide rod/spring/recoil plug into a hole to compress spring, and remove paperclip.

HINT: The Brownell's bench block hole center hole is the one to use.

That doesnt work on the factory sti eagle bull barrel setup and I dont think there is a hole. you cant get the guide rod and plug in even with no spring.

You have to unscrew the 2 piece guide rod which basically sucks cause if it is loose enough to get unscrewed it is loose enough to come unscrewed while shooting.

Here is what I did to my eagle and I love it.

1. take two piece guide rod and throw it as far as you can, preferably somewhere it will never again see the light of day.

2. buy a full length for 5" STI guide rod cut it to 2 and 7/8ths of an inch, round off the end a bit,

3 buy wolff for longslide 1911 spring number 4 for major, number 5 for minor, cut spring to 37 coils,

4. put gun back together like a traditional gi spec guide rod assembly and throw away the paper clips and allen wrenches and loctite in the same direction as the two piece guide rod.

Enjoy gun, you can now get it apart and back together in the safe area with out breaking out a Snap-on tool collection.