Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Safe Recommendation

Husker95

My collection is getting large enough that i am ready to make the plunge and look for a safe. Would like to get some feedback from members about what to look for in a new safe......features, brand-names, fire ratings, lock styles, etc. I plan to keep the safe in my basement, my price limit is around 1500 and i have far more pistols than long guns. I have had some knowledgeable friends recommend American Security brand so will definitely look at those. I live in Colorado Springs/Pueblo area so if anyone has a local vendor they would recommend, please do so. Thanks.

Husker

+1 to the american security, i have the 30 gun model(500 lbs empty) it doesnt havethe concrete liningthat some do that offers morefire protection, butthen again i live across the street from a fire station, one detraction or note is that they use particle wood for shelving(i assume most if not all do the same thing) so if you are into stacking a lot of weight on the shleves, you might want to screw in some steel banding on the bottom of the shleves like i had to do once they cracked and failed on me to beef em up

With a $1500 budget you're probably going to have to compromise on either capacity or fire protection. Liberty makes a variety of models. The less expensive ones are still excellent quality and may meet your budget.

One other option is to see if you can find a used one on the local Craig's list. You may be able to get a deal but moving those suckers is a bit of a chore.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find many threads with safe recommendations.

Edited by XD Niner

I'm looking for a pistol - only safe as well. I'm not sure whether I'd be better off with a short safe with shelves/drawers, or a tall wall safe and door racks. What do people use when long guns aren't an issue?

Get one twice the size you think you need, regardless of the cost.

Excellent advice! Two other things to consider:

1. if you have lots of handguns consider handgun hangers or a door panel pistol kit

2. even if you don't have many long guns the multiple row style holder IMO is much more accomidating than the U-style holder, or consider something like the Cannon trurack system

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, i wanted to close the loop and say thanks for the advice and feedback. I wound up getting a Browning Pro Steel safe. I definitely didnt get a steal of a deal, but then i dont think i got hosed either. I still shudder when i think of the price, but i definitely saw some bargain lines out there that just felt "tinny" and cheap - glad i didnt get one of those. Its a one time purchase and over the course of the next 20 years i will probably forget what i paid. Only drawback about getting the safe is i spent about an entire day cleaning guns because it feels wierd to put a "dirty gun" into the safe. Maybe i will get over that.

Husker

If its in the basement, fire rating has to be a priority. (or hefty insurance rider!)

Sounds like you made a similar conclusion.

I am forced to save paperwork/Contracts for 5 years and considered a dual purpose safe, valuables, documents and toys!

I've heard an expression that may ring true with your situation.

You spent the $$ on quality and you will only cry once...