Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Resettable Steel Targets

I'm looking at adding some resettable steel targets for our club's monthly 3G match for rifles. Ranges will be between 200 and 300 yds. Right now, I'm looking at Salute Products 2/3 IPSC targets w/the resettable base and some 15" gongs. I was curious what are you guys using and how do you employ them in a stage? Has anyone run into calibration issues with any particular targets? Any advantages to using the 1/2" vs 3/8"? Is 1/2" worth the expense?

I watched the video on the Salute website. I've had some issues calling hits on similar spring loaded targets. I'd strongly suggest you get somthing that either falls down completely and then resets after an interval or an indicating target that shows a flash card of some kind when hit.

That said, it's hard to beat MGM for the value plus you get to support folks that support our sport in a big way.

Thickness depends on the mechanism that the target system uses to absorb the energy from the hits and the alloy used. 3/8" AR500 has worked for me with .223 and .308. Just make sure nobody is using steel or tungsten core bullets.

Just my $.02.

Check out the new wireless electronic offering from AR-15 Targets. I shot and helped to RO the monthly Texas Multigun match at the Best of the West range in Liberty Hill, Texas last weekend and the new feedback device Jeremy has come up with is really cool! It is a piece of electronics that is mounted on the back of ANY steel target that when struck sends a signal back to the shooter that a hit was indeed made. The range for the device was reported to be 2+ miles! :surprise: You simply watch an LED change from red to green and call "HIT" then flip the switch to reset it to red again.

Anyway, this may be a bit much, but it is an example of how good the target companies are getting with their products and technology!

Good Luck,

Kyle

Edited by DocMcG

Check out the new wireless electronic offering from AR-15 Targets. I shot and helped to RO the monthly Texas Multigun match at the Best of the West range in Liberty Hill, Texas last weekend and the new feedback device Jeremy has come up with is really cool! It is a piece of electronics that is mounted on the back of ANY steel target that when struck sends a signal back to the shooter that a hit was indeed made. The range for the device was reported to be 2+ miles! :surprise: You simply watch an LED chance from red to green and call "HIT" then flip the switch to reset it to red again.

Anyway, this may be a bit much, but it is an example of how good the target companies are getting with their products and technology!

Good Luck,

Kyle

That looks cool - how was its sensitivity with .223, .308 etc. ? Would it handle slugs too ? What about debris/rocks/dirt etc thrown up by a low miss ? How was battery life ? Was the system you saw a pre-production prototype or a production unit ?

That looks cool - how was its sensitivity with .223, .308 etc. ? Would it handle slugs too ? What about debris/rocks/dirt etc thrown up by a low miss ? How was battery life ? Was the system you saw a pre-production prototype or a production unit ?

Like Ken said, it was a preproduction unit. If you check the website AR15Targets you will see that they are discounted very heavily if you order between now and December 15th (I think). They worked fine for 223 and 308 and I can only imagine that they would work perfectly for slugs although we didn't shoot them with slugs (when the electronic plate came dislodged as Ken mentioned, we tested it by throwing large rocks at it...) They need to receive a solid hit so debris getting bounced up was not an issue.

I'm looking at adding some resettable steel targets for our club's monthly 3G match for rifles. Ranges will be between 200 and 300 yds. Right now, I'm looking at Salute Products 2/3 IPSC targets w/the resettable base and some 15" gongs. I was curious what are you guys using and how do you employ them in a stage? Has anyone run into calibration issues with any particular targets? Any advantages to using the 1/2" vs 3/8"? Is 1/2" worth the expense?

Gator,

check www.themetalman.com

good rifle targets, good price.

they need some additions; we use a 6x18 inch 16 guage piece of steel between the target face and the bracket on the back bent 90* to the target face for a flash card (just paint the top flo orange), and...

they need a re-bar stand.

jj

Like Ken said, it was a preproduction unit. If you check the website AR15Targets you will see that they are discounted very heavily if you order between now and December 15th (I think). They worked fine for 223 and 308 and I can only imagine that they would work perfectly for slugs although we didn't shoot them with slugs (when the electronic plate came dislodged as Ken mentioned, we tested it by throwing large rocks at it...) They need to receive a solid hit so debris getting bounced up was not an issue.

I believe MGM has a similar system about ready to come online as well: MGM Acquires Flash Targets

Travis G. had that flash target set up at a recent local 3-gun match. It was attached to a steel silhouette plate at 440 yds and at that distance it made calling your hits much easier. Near as I can tell, it worked every time (well, you have to hit the target first for it to flash...), and was very noticeable to the shooter and RO back at the firing position. Travis also put the strobe (or whatever it was) inside a white 5 gal bucket that was laying on its side with the open end facing us to help it be more visible. I didn't get a chance to check it out up close so can't comment more on how it was set up, other than to say I got lucky and made it go off on my first shot... :rolleyes:

It was mid-day, partly cloudy IIRC. But I'm sure it would work as advertised even in full sunlight.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input. I think I'm looking at going w/some 28" poppers and flash targets. The discussion on the Salute Products was the first I'd heard of an issue w/them. I really like the concept of it being self-resetting and being able to switch out targets/target styles, but I don't want to make the RO's job any more challenging than it is already.