Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SA 1911 Range Officer

The_Vigilante

Decided to field strip the new Range Officer I recently purchased to oil it up. Immediately ran into a problem removing the sleeve. The sleeve was so tightly fit that I wasn't able to turn it by hand to remove it and the spring. I literally had to use some vice clamps to turn it because it was so tightly fit. And now I am having the same problem reassembling it. Once I fit the sleeve into the frame the fit is so tight I cannot get it to click into place. Would coating the surfaces with Slide Glide help? Open to any recommendations. Thanks

Decided to field strip the new Range Officer I recently purchased to oil it up. Immediately ran into a problem removing the sleeve. The sleeve was so tightly fit that I wasn't able to turn it by hand to remove it and the spring. I literally had to use some vice clamps to turn it because it was so tightly fit. And now I am having the same problem reassembling it. Once I fit the sleeve into the frame the fit is so tight I cannot get it to click into place. Would coating the surfaces with Slide Glide help? Open to any recommendations. Thanks

Are you referring to the barrel bushing, when you say "sleeve"? If so, you'll need a good bushing wrench if it is a tight fit. A tight bushing to slide fit is a good thing, for accuracy. A little lube won't hurt anything, but, if it's fit as tight as some of mine, it won't help much for dis-assembly. :surprise:

To those of you who have replied-thanks. And pardon my use of the word "sleeve". I am not a 1911 aficionado as you can readily tell. I was referring to the barrel bushing. I just purchased a Wilson barrel bushing tool at one of my local gunshops.

OHHHHH. I'm surprised it disn't come with a bushing wrench,most 1911s do. Also, the barrel bushing is in the slide,not the frame. :cheers:

Edited by Roy Hess

To those of you who have replied-thanks. And pardon my use of the word "sleeve". I am not a 1911 aficionado as you can readily tell. I was referring to the barrel bushing. I just purchased a Wilson barrel bushing tool at one of my local gunshops.

OHHHHH. I'm surprised it disn't come with a bushing wrench,most 1911s do. Also, the barrel bushing is in the slide,not the frame. :cheers:

Springfields don't come with bushing wrenches, not even the Custom Shop guns which really need them.

The barrel bushing tool I purchased was a 1911 Versa Tool.....see link http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=WC&prodID=WC398&prodTitle=WC%201911%20VERSA-TOOL. It is manufactured by Wilson. I ended up buying this one because it's all they had in stock. None of the other gunshops in town had one. I needed it yesterday or I would have ordered one from Midway, etc.

I'm sure if you would have asked someone would have sent you a Brownell's orange plastic bushing wrench. I got a couple of spares I could send you.

Enjoy the 1911. I'm sure it probably will not be the only one you own...