Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snap ring pliers for Dillon Roller Handle

I have two of the aluminum roller handles to replace the plastic handles on my 1050's. I went to change them out and the snapring is so deep I can't find a pair of snapring pliers with noses long enough to reach it.

Anyone have some ideas or a source for really long snapring pliers?

I have two of the aluminum roller handles to replace the plastic handles on my 1050's. I went to change them out and the snapring is so deep I can't find a pair of snapring pliers with noses long enough to reach it.

Several years ago I bought a set of snap ring pliers at an appliance repair shop that sold parts and tools for the service men. It came with several interchangable tips of different sizes. It included a long set of tips that should work real well. If I remember correctly, they cost around $28.

Bill

I had the same issue, it was a PITA to find the right snap ring tool that was long enough, I would just send it to dillon for them to put on. figure your gas, and the cost of the tool, its much cheaper just to send it to them and get it back.

I did a little digging, cause I've wondered the same thing myself, but never attempted to change it out. I simply bought awhile new handle.

Try this one 1st

But you might have to get a little inventive, and buy some long handled needle-nose pliers and grind the tips down to the proper size.

Long handled Needle-nose pliers link

Good luck. :)

I just went in the reloading room, and took a good look at the roller handle, and if you took a standard pair of needle nose pliers and ground the tips down a little you could make it work. Most everybody has some cheap needle nose pliers sitting around in a drawer somewhere. If not, you can certainly buy some for less than $10.

The only other alternative I can think of is to take a pair of snap-ring pliers with the interchangeable bits, and make some longer straight bits out of some cheap steel rods.

Try Harbor frieght tools.... they make a clone set of snap ring pliers that are just like the snapon/mac one for less than $20. While I don't endorse them to be just as good, for this application definately cheaper and will work.

dont you have an airplane to fix mitch?

The only other alternative I can think of is to take a pair of snap-ring pliers with the interchangeable bits, and make some longer straight bits out of some cheap steel rods.

An old allen wrench makes good tips, cut to length with a dremel and grind ends as needed, I've used this for other applications but not for a roller handle.

Found the perfect pair.....$2.99 at Harbor Freight :D

Gotta love harbor freight.

made with pride in Peoples Worker Re-Education Camp #17...:roflol: for simple hand tools that will see light (and non-precision) use like pliers, spare screwdriver or open-end wrench set i've found them to be a good buy. for anything that has to be made with any quality (cutting tools like drill bits) I've always ended up kicking myself going to some place like MSC...

/end thread drift and rant on cheap imported stuff that breaks on me late on a sunday night when I can't go to home depot and buy a quality tool...

Edited by jaredr

/end thread drift and rant on cheap imported stuff that breaks on me late on a sunday night when I can't go to home depot and buy a quality tool...

If you are under the impression that Home Depot sells anything higher quality than Harbor Freight you are sorely mistaken. I was at work and needed a punch, stopped by HD and bought the only set they carried. The punch I used almost survived the first hammer blow. It blew apart at the shank and guess what....it was a cast punch...nice :angry2:

They might church up the packaging a little and the help has most of their teeth but I doubt the suppliers are that different :cheers:

Edited by smokshwn

If you are under the impression that Home Depot sells anything higher quality than Harbor Freight you are sorely mistaken. I was at work and needed a punch, stopped by HD and bought the only set they carried. The punch I used almost survived the first hammer blow. It blew apart at the shank and guess what....it was a cast punch...nice :angry2:

They might church up the packaging a little and the help has most of their teeth but I doubt the suppliers are that different :cheers:

sorry to hear about your punch. while home depot carries their share of junk, you do have the choice of buying something like porter-cable or milwaukee or klein tools if you're willing to spend (and while they're not always the best price, sometimes it's worth paying for the convenience of some place that has it in stock when you need it). maybe this applies mostly to power tools - I've never seen a tap and die set there and a lot of their hand tools (wrenches, screw drivers) are admittedly the same import garbage as harbor freight. point i was trying to make (but perhaps did a poor job at) is that at harbor freight, your choices are generally "crappy" or "crappier" - they don't sell anything that's going to last even if you want to spend for it, so I treat all my purchases there as disposable.

my aggravating lesson here is maybe what I deserve for waiting until <way> late on a sunday night to assemble my kids' playset with a power scredriver that was made in a chinese prison camp :angry2:

Edited by jaredr

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a better question is why doesn't these come assembled?

I understand "batteries not included" or "just add powder"...but add $2 to the cost of it and send it ready to go?

For the longest time mine wasn't attached -- worked fine. Sent entire press in for refurb, came back "ringed" :)

Perhaps a better question is why doesn't these come assembled?

I understand "batteries not included" or "just add powder"...but add $2 to the cost of it and send it ready to go?

For the longest time mine wasn't attached -- worked fine. Sent entire press in for refurb, came back "ringed" :)

They do come put together.

The handles in question were the aluminum roller handles to replace the plastic ones that come from the factory.

Dude I have a ton of tools. Just ask, I probably got what ya need.

I would hope you would have some super special german tool that cost ways to much to get the job done.

By the way my engine light won't turn off even since I hooked the vent back up to the opti-spark. any ideas?

Most auto parts stores have pliers with multiple tips for deeper problems. Snap on Tools, the ultimate in good quality tools wil certainly have one if you don't have one yet

Sincerely , Merv