Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb Rests

JasonS

This thumb pedal doesn't have to be removed in order to access the slide stop pin so once it's on that's it. Your thumb is responsible for 70% of your grip strength. The ability to use it is a huge advantage and why so many shooters swear by it. I went and tested the pedal out and was blown away on just how much more control I had over the recoil recovery. I was able to relax my arms more, focus on trigger control and feel confident that after each shot my dot would return to center every time.

The method I used was a plate rack at 45ft. 200 rounds without it then 200 rounds with it. What I found was that under major power ammo I still had the perfect grip every time with the pedal. It was the deciding factor for me. One thing we strive for as a competition shooter is consistency and this is what the thumb pedal brought to me. The perfect grip even after rapid fire and reloads.

The bonus to that was the shot recovery. It seemed the more I relaxed and just kept a firm weak hand grasp the better and better the dot would return to center and the faster I was able to shoot! If you ever had any problems transitioning from target to target and truing up your dot here is your answer to the problem.

The pedal in these pictures is a custom one I did for Jordan O. one of Rudy projects sponsored shooters. I beveled the thumb pad to the shape of his thumb and polished the exposed parts to a mirror finish. The beveling of the thumb is a huge advantage because it isolates your thumb to the same position every time and it feels like a part of you. costs quite a bit more because it takes forever to hand file the bevel into place.

HPIM2599.jpg

HPIM2589.jpg

HPIM2587.jpg

Edited by Tanfogliofan

I just got Tanfogliofan's thumbrest in the mail yesterday. I haven't shot with it yet, but it is very comfortable in dry fire. The beveled rest feels real nice, and it helps with getting a consistent grip. I'll report back when I get a chance to do some live fire with it.

• 3 weeks later...

So I used it at the last two matches locally and I can't say enough about it. I love the control I gain. Seeing tht dot just snap back into the center of my Doctor is sweet! Great recoil management and consistant grip every time! I can't wait to hear from Jordan and get his input!

I shot a few rounds with it on my back up gun which already had a couple of holes on the right side of the frame last week. My initial impression is that I really like it. It's going to be a little while until I do an in depth test though. I sent my guns to Freedom Gunworks to be refinished and drill some holes.

• 4 years later...

Those look great and all, but are on the wrong side of the gun for me. All the right side thumb rests I've seen that are made don't look like they are that great IMO. This custom made one shown above in this thread looks sweet!

Need a little help on the one you are looking for....

What's your thoughts on the RHT thumb rest? They do make a right side thumb rest I could use. I just think it looks like it could break... Maybe I'm wrong..

You looking for something like this?

Something like that. I have a 2011 STI DVC open...

I put a lot of pressure on it and have never felt as if it was going to break. I don't think you can break it. It is solid feeling.

Thanks for the input!

Have you looked at the Nitro Fin? I changed all my rests to that one.

It appears to be a slide lock turned into a thumb rest. I'm a southpaw so I'd need a thumb rest on the right side

I had a *thumb rest [generic]* thumbrest and I took it off my Trubor. The dot move to much for me. The Trubor has a piece to rest your thumb on and I prefer that. The STI DVC has it also; my dot barely moves. A thumbrest is not a necessity.