Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need some training tips

joedodge

Hello all, im new to uspsa production. Ive been shooting our weekly matches for about 4 months, im ready to start training as i see anyone who is competitive trains. I need some tips to get started tho, im 5' 6" 155 pounds i have a bike i can ride a few miles a day or somtn ive cut fast food out of my diet. does anyone have any tips for training and exercise for competition. thanks so much.

The matt burkett videos are great and they are on sale this month. Steve andersons has a good training book and if you have not read brian enos book, it is a must read. Then besides the training material find some local guys to train with and help push you. But remember, have fun and enjoy yourself.

If you want to exercise to improve your game you need to look at what basic movements you are using. The most important thing is going to be stability. Having good core strength and upper body strength will help you keep on target. In general, try not to use weight machines. Free weights or body weight exercise will help increase your stability and core strength as well as create more functional strength.

Most movement at an event is going to be explosive fast sprints. Cardio can't hurt but very few matches are going to be an endurance challenge. If you like to ride your bike, incorporate some sprints into your ride. Go as hard as you can for about a minute and then take it easy for a minute or two, repeat a handful of times.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Flexibility is good as well- practicing full ROM squats has helped me get in and out of some low ports that others have had to get into the prone on. Core strength helps with balance and can help you be able to get farther leans past walls and whatnot.

• 1 month later...

Grip strength will certainly help as well as a strong core and legs. Stability is key so use free weights, (dumbbells/barbells). Machines fail to fully work the small stabilizing muscles that are going to give you an edge in something like USPSA.

Good luck.

Stability is key so use free weights, (dumbbells/barbells). Machines fail to fully work the small stabilizing muscles that are going to give you an edge in something like USPSA.

Good luck.

Yes.

Hang cleans, jerks, and hang snatch will all help your explosiveness getting out of positions. Overhead squat will help your lower body strength and also will help your balance.

You're never going to jog a quarter mile to the next shooting position in our normal matches. General cardio etc will help your health, but assuming you're in reasonably good shape to begin with it probably won't impact your stage time.

If I were doing physical training for shooting sports specifically:

• Dryfiring first
  • Plyometrics for explosive movements in and out of positions, Examples
  • Practice explosive starts and sudden stops into the proper position. Sprint 10 yards. Stop. Lean around a corner. Airgun. Repeat in and out of prone, squat, high, low, awkward, leaning, whatever-you-can-think-of, positions.
  • Grip strength

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Since this thread has fired back up I figure I’ll offer my 2 cents.  I have been folling CrossFit for 5 years now. And yes CrossFit is safe, just like running around with loaded guns. Be smart, stay in your comfort zone and you will be safe.  Now back to my point. CrossFit has helped me increase grip, shoulder and core strength. Increased leg strength and the ability to move from position to position with purpose and speed.  All of which has helped control recoil and manipulate the gun.  I still suck at the shooting part, but the physical part is easy.  Those warm humid summer Saturdays in the South dont bother me like some of the other outta shape guys I’ve squadded with 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 3:11 PM, Heatstroke18 said:

Since this thread has fired back up I figure I’ll offer my 2 cents.  I have been folling CrossFit for 5 years now. And yes CrossFit is safe, just like running around with loaded guns. Be smart, stay in your comfort zone and you will be safe.  Now back to my point. CrossFit has helped me increase grip, shoulder and core strength. Increased leg strength and the ability to move from position to position with purpose and speed.  All of which has helped control recoil and manipulate the gun.  I still suck at the shooting part, but the physical part is easy.  Those warm humid summer Saturdays in the South dont bother me like some of the other outta shape guys I’ve squadded with 

CrossFit!

After Chemo, I could barely walk 100 yards.  I started riding my bike.  Increasing the distances each week.

Took up CrossFit. My Oncologists are impressed in my  physical shape/exercise program

Just as a side note: I am Medicare eligible; I have a six pack, can do pull ups, hand stand push ups, box jumps and burpees with people 30 years younger.

I also ski, snowboard, paddle board and windsurf.  Get more active and eat better.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:17 AM, pjb45 said:

After Chemo, I could barely walk 100 yards.  I started riding my bike.  Increasing the distances each week.

Took up CrossFit. My Oncologists are impressed in my  physical shape/exercise program

Just as a side note: I am Medicare eligible; I have a six pack, can do pull ups, hand stand push ups, box jumps and burpees with people 30 years younger.

I also ski, snowboard, paddle board and windsurf.  Get more active and eat better.

that awesome to hear!