Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Shoots right...and so do I

UltraTen

OK, here's the situation, I'm having trouble shooting to the right and I don't know why.

I can usually solve problems with the gun myself but when it comes to identifying whats wrong with me, I need professional help. :wacko:

I have a Smith and Wesson 610-3 with a set of Houge finger groove grips.

Thought it was the gun at first but I had a friend shoot it. He had no problem taking out the center of the target.

That leads me to think that it's all me. :surprise:

If I take my time it shoots dead on, I can take out a paster 9 times out of 10, but the moment I turn a little speed all the shots are about 4-5 inches to the right.

If nothing else I'm consistent. :huh:

I've tried a few things, like changing the grips, to no avail.

Anybody know what causes this and how to correct it??

Check your stance. Make sure you are using your natural point of aim... Stand in your normal position and draw the gun and see where it normally points. Try this with your eyes closed. Now, move your feet until when you draw the gun points directly at your aiming point.

Try using the tip of your fnger on the trigger also and make sure your are bringing the trigger straight back and not pulling the sight to the right.

Hope this helps.

OK, here's the situation, I'm having trouble shooting to the right and I don't know why.

I can usually solve problems with the gun myself but when it comes to identifying whats wrong with me, I need professional help. :wacko:

Thought it was the gun at first but I had a friend shoot it. He had no problem taking out the center of the target.

If I take my time it shoots dead on, I can take out a paster 9 times out of 10, but the moment I turn a little speed all the shots are about 4-5 inches to the right.

Could be...............anything :)

Traditionally, shooting right means not enough leverage on the trigger and is "cured" by putting more of the finger through the trigger guard.

Do you shoot farther right as you go through a longer course? Do you move right as you try to pull the trigger faster?

If you are just starting out with revolver, it may be your hand/finger strength just hasn't caught up yet. It will. This is where a super light double action trigger would initially help.

That is just one answer. There are many others. Eye problem (astigmatism/wandering dominance)? Loose rear sight? From Oklahoma?

According to Bubber, you are only allowed 2 (I guess it is now 3/Bubber has only let me have 2) excuses per match.

And yes, if you are shooting revolver, professional help is in order

Edited by underlug

I had a similar problem with a smith 66 wearing the hogue monogrip rubber with finger groove. In single action I could drive the shots straight but no matter how smoothly the DA pull was made the shot went 3 inches to the right with the sight dialed to the maximum left. I changed the grips to Pacmayrs which were bigger and fit my hands better and the problem corrected to a wide left impact instantly...until the sights were re-centered. YMMV

UltraTen. What do you see when the shot breaks? If you know someone with optic sights on his revolver ask to shoot it. It will show you what is happening as you pull the trigger. It may be as simple as you moving to the next target before you are finished with that shot. As Underlug stated there are many causes for the rounds to impact right. And that you are only allowed three excuses per match , use them well. :ph34r: Later rdd

Thanks for all the tips everybody!!

I was able to read most of them before I went to the range this afternoon.

But first to answer some of your questions:

AzShooter,

Try using the tip of your finger on the trigger also and make sure your are bringing the trigger straight back and not pulling the sight to the right. I think your on to something here, tried using the tip of my finger now I still shoot right but not half as bad!

Underlug,

Do you shoot farther right as you go through a longer course? No Do you move right as you try to pull the trigger faster? Yes From Oklahoma? Would that get me a 4th excuse?

Bubber,

(I had to answer this one)

What do you see when the shot breaks? A BIG FLASH :roflol:Actually my sights on target where the shot should have been.

I did learn a few things. I changed to a couple other grips, none seemed to help the problem much.

If I just used the tip of my trigger finger the pull to the right wasn't as bad. I think that AzShooter may have hit the nail on the head. The strength in my hand/finger is not there yet. Guess I have some long nights at the range a head of me.

Anything I can do besides dry fire to increase the strength in my trigger finger??

Thanks for all the tips everybody!!

I was able to read most of them before I went to the range this afternoon.

But first to answer some of your questions:

AzShooter,

Try using the tip of your finger on the trigger also and make sure your are bringing the trigger straight back and not pulling the sight to the right. I think your on to something here, tried using the tip of my finger now I still shoot right but not half as bad!

Underlug,

Do you shoot farther right as you go through a longer course? No Do you move right as you try to pull the trigger faster? Yes From Oklahoma? Would that get me a 4th excuse?

Bubber,

(I had to answer this one)

What do you see when the shot breaks? A BIG FLASH :roflol:Actually my sights on target where the shot should have been.

I did learn a few things. I changed to a couple other grips, none seemed to help the problem much.

If I just used the tip of my trigger finger the pull to the right wasn't as bad. I think that AzShooter may have hit the nail on the head. The strength in my hand/finger is not there yet. Guess I have some long nights at the range a head of me.

Anything I can do besides dry fire to increase the strength in my trigger finger??

AZ did have it right and I had it wrong. Finger too far through pull the gun back, not far enough in, push the gun over

• 2 weeks later...

Could be...............anything :)

Traditionally, shooting right means not enough leverage on the trigger and is "cured" by putting more of the finger through the trigger guard.

Do you shoot farther right as you go through a longer course? Do you move right as you try to pull the trigger faster?

If you are just starting out with revolver, it may be your hand/finger strength just hasn't caught up yet. It will. This is where a super light double action trigger would initially help.

That is just one answer. There are many others. Eye problem (astigmatism/wandering dominance)? Loose rear sight? From Oklahoma?

According to Bubber, you are only allowed 2 (I guess it is now 3/Bubber has only let me have 2) excuses per match.

And yes, if you are shooting revolver, professional help is in order

Bring a little zen philosophy into the mix. [You know, isolate mind and body, concentrate, etc.] Your mind has to isolate the portion of the right hand holding on to the gun from that right hand's trigger finger.

Three fingers and thumb of right hand plus all of left hand are devoted to holding and aiming the gun.

Trigger finger is devoted to pulling the trigger.

Finger strength is part of it. When you are pulling the trigger with a weak trigger finger, all of your right hand fingers are curling in slightly at the same time as your index finger is pulling the trigger, you're slightly breaking your wrist, and that's pulling the gun to the right.

Practice holding a piece of wood the size [diameter] of your gun's handle, but which only goes to the top of your middle finger. Then flex your index finger as if you were pulling the trigger. The idea is to have the grip portion of your hand maintain a constant position while the trigger finger does its job. This won't strengthen your finger, but it will help with your body mechanics in isolating the trigger finger from the grip fingers. Try this with your left hand, too, as practice for weak hand shooting.

That Gripmaster is good for strengthening individual fingers, and it can also be an aid in practicing pulling with the trigger finger alone.