Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Sentry or Les Baer Super Tac

sauza45

I have been looking to get a 45 acp 1911. I handled the Trojan and do not like the stippling on the frame, so I have been looking at the Sentry.

I came across a local shooter that has a Les Baer Super Tac for sell. The price between the STI and the Les Baer is only $200.00 more for the Les Baer.

Never owned a Les Baer, how do the 2 compair.

I'm sure Les Baer supports our sport somewhere, I've just not seen it. STI does support our sport by sponsoring stages and matches, contingency money and other ways. If you're buying to compete, I'd think the STI is the way to go because of the sights. Why pay more to take the sights off?

Also is there anything to look at on the Baer being it is a used gun?

If it is a .45 ACP with a 9mm firing pin, watch out for breech face erosion.

I'm sure Les Baer supports our sport somewhere, I've just not seen it.

Les Baer has bent over backwards for me in the past when I've had issues with my gun. Just recently, he has started to get more politically active and has donated pistols to help promote concealed carry.

I have nothing against STI. I've never owned one, but the last Sentry I handled wasn't in the same class as a Super Tac. It was a fine pistol, but it wasn't fit with the same level of detail as a Baer.

The Les Baer is a better gun. That being said STI inho has better customer service and does promote our sport. The 4 Baers I have owned were all super accurate and 100% reliable. My STIs have all been great as well. Which ever you choose will serve you well.

Thanks for all the input. How do you tell the diffrence in the 45 vs 9 firing pin?

It's probably a 9mm firing pin. All you have to do is take it out of the gun and look at it. If you're not sure what you are looking at, take a measurement with a dial caliper and shoot me a PM. Or, take a photo with your camera phone and post it here.

The STI guys have brought up good points. The trigger on the Baer will need work, and you'll need to install a fiber optic front. Not deal killers for me though....

You can't go wrong with either of these two pistols. And STI does support us more than Les. I disagree with the customer service comment posted by another forum member. Although Les' receptionist, Brenda, can come across as a "man hater" on the phone, I have received excellent service from Les in the past. I have no issues with him whatsoever, and I am a almost impossible to satisfy when spending that kind of money.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.