Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm mags & JHP's

Victor_R

I loaded up some 124gr JHP's last week and decided to try them at my local IDPA match. Big mistake. I went to slide lock on a stage, put a fresh mag loaded with JHP's and got a nose dive. Very ugly. My OAL is 1.121. I thought shorting my OAL would help but I was mistaken. What seems to be happing is if the rounds aren't stacked right meaning the 1st round isn't pointing up it will cause a nose dive. I haven't had a problem with FMJ's with this issue. I'm running Tripp Research 10 round mags and my gun is a Trojan 1911 9mm. Other then having to make sure my first round is pointing up if someone has a solution I would love to hear it.

JHPs001.jpg?t=1290394913

JHPs002.jpg?t=1290394913

JHPs003.jpg?t=1290394913

I get that bad too.. Tripp mags, and a Dan wesson PM9. I changed my recoil spring and the problem went away for now. Thats what Tripp suggested. (i run close to 1.14, and cant run wilson's, they jam into the ejector)

How old is your recoil spring, and what Lb ?

I get that bad too.. Tripp mags, and a Dan wesson PM9. I changed my recoil spring and the problem went away for now. Thats what Tripp suggested. (i run close to 1.14, and cant run wilson's, they jam into the ejector)

How old is your recoil spring, and what Lb ?

My recoil spring is faily new. I'm running a 9lb recoil spring. I will try 1.140 OAL. Then it's back to FMJ's when I order more bullets.

my 8# wouldnt run the jhps consistently (although it did at the begining.) i went to a 10# and thats what works so far. im still leary of it though. Virgil also said if i keep having problems to call back and try new mag springs since i have 5k on 10 mags. the other option is to run springfield 9rd mags. they run flawless, and thats what i saw the most of at idpa nationals.

my 8# wouldnt run the jhps consistently (although it did at the begining.) i went to a 10# and thats what works so far. im still leary of it though. Virgil also said if i keep having problems to call back and try new mag springs since i have 5k on 10 mags. the other option is to run springfield 9rd mags. they run flawless, and thats what i saw the most of at idpa nationals.

Thanks for the advice DWFAN. I only have 3 Tripp mags and 1000 rounds through the gun. Are you talking about the Metalform mags? It's intresting when I only have 9 rounds in the mag I don't have the problem and even with 10 rounds it only happens once in a while but thats to much. Thanks again.

Yes, the 9rd Springfield/metalforms run great.

My mags only do it with 10, and rarely 9 rounds in them. Im going to test some more wednesday and see if there are still any issues. If so, Ill probably call Tripp and attempt again to get a Wilson to run. I like the Tripps better as they reload easier with 10rds and slide closed.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like in the 1st picture the bullet is touching the front of the mag. I run those MG bullets in my Springfield loaded and DW PM9 without any issues but I load short, as in 1.10. I also run Metalform 9, Wilson 9 rounders and Wilson ETM 10 rounders without any issues in both guns.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like in the 1st picture the bullet is touching the front of the mag. I run those MG bullets in my Springfield loaded and DW PM9 without any issues but I load short, as in 1.10. I also run Metalform 9, Wilson 9 rounders and Wilson ETM 10 rounders without any issues in both guns.

The Wilson's dont hit your ejector or disco rail ? My slide binds, and the mag jams into the ejector on my Pm-9..

Your Trip mags will probably run just as good as the metalform ones with only 9 rounds in them also. Its that 10th round that tends to screw things up.

I've found that I can load pretty long in the Tripp 9mm mags with the spacers, 1.190 and they hand cycle fine. I'm going to load some at 1.17 and 1.18 also and test at the steel plates sometime this week. I'll try the loads in my 9mm mags with spacers and my super mags with out the spacers as well. This is with a MG 124 CMJ. I think the longer you load the better off you'll be as the round has less time to point down before it contacts the ramp and the ramp makes it point up. Make sure your ramp is polished like a mirror!

As for the JHP, I had the same issues as Victor with the MG JHPs. They work fine out of my STI 9mm because the mag sits higher in the gun and feeds pretty much straight into the barrel. I found its just not worth the headache so I"ve switched to the CMJs and I've been about 100%. I had a jam the other day so that is why I'm trying longer loads. If its not 100% its not right on match day and that is what we are after.

The Wilson's dont hit your ejector or disco rail ? My slide binds, and the mag jams into the ejector on my Pm-9..

No they do not.

I have run nearly 4,000 Zero 147 gr JHPs in my Trojan 9mm without any issue. Dawson Supreme Tactical 10 rd. mags and IIRC the OAL may range from 1.108 - 1.113 (depending on the brass head stamp and number of loadings), the same OAL as I have always run in my Glocks.

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate tipos typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I loaded up some 124gr JHP's last week and decided to try them at my local IDPA match. Big mistake. I went to slide lock on a stage, put a fresh mag loaded with JHP's and got a nose dive. Very ugly. My OAL is 1.121. I thought shorting my OAL would help but I was mistaken. What seems to be happing is if the rounds aren't stacked right meaning the 1st round isn't pointing up it will cause a nose dive. I haven't had a problem with FMJ's with this issue. I'm running Tripp Research 10 round mags and my gun is a Trojan 1911 9mm. Other then having to make sure my first round is pointing up if someone has a solution I would love to hear it.

i have the same gun, same mags, same bullets, same problem with wilons mags (have 5 brand new that can't be used) and same issues! i have tried different lengths to no avail. i have not tried loading only 9, so i appreciate the idea. however, the way i shoot, this will be a disadvantage for steel. idpa requires fully loaded mags. i need to find a solution.

nels

Okay, I just tried to replicate the problem for 30 minutes with the same OAL that I was running at my match. I took my Tripp mags apart and lightly polished the inside lips of the mags as I noticed the round would snag on the lip. I then loaded up each mag with 10 rounds and hand cycled the rounds through. Not one nose dive. I then gently guided the slide to the round and in to the chamber. Again no nose dive. I made the 1st round face down and hand cycled it and no nose dive. I also did it when in slide lock. No nose dive. I don't get it. You would think it would nose dive by riding the slide but it didn't.

I will be going to the range again this weekend to see if it happens. If it does I think it might be the mag pouch. My theory is after I load the mags and put it in my mag pouch, run, jump around it makes the round sit funning in the mag but it's just a thought.

Well by the sounds of it seems like it's the mags that cause the problem with the JHP's. I will have to try some Metalform mags and see how that goes.

I seriously doubt its just the mags. Remember the 9mm 1911 and 10 rounds of 9mm is the hardest 1911 combo to get to run right. Did you ever call Virgil and talk to him about it?

FYI, you can load out to 1.190 in the 9mm mags with spacer before they get to long with 124 CMJ MGs. I backed it down to 1.180. If your going to do this make sure your barrel will accept rounds that long.