Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem Seating 8 Round Mags in Colt Series 70

redraider

I wonder if others have this problem and if so what they have done about it . I shoot a customized Colt Series 70 in Single Stack and CDP. I use Dardas 200 grain LSWC. I should add if it matters that the gun dates originally from Vietnam years and started as my sidearm out of the box (hence I am in the Senior category). The custom work is a couple of years old (trigger job, barsto barrel, slide tightening, fiber optics with bomar sights, extended mag release, mag well, etc.) and the gun is very accurate and otherwise reliable with my loads. Essentially all of the internals have been replaced. Here is the issue. I have a real problem seating 8 round Wilson Combat (not ETM) and McCormack magazines in the gun. When I load either mag with the slide closed I have to significantly bang the mag for it to seat and substantial pressure is needed on the mag release to eject it. The McCormack is actually worse. Take out a round and they both seat easily as do all of my 7 round mags. But If I insert either 8 round mag with the slide open it will easily seat and release. Makes reloads dicey. Have not tried Tripp, Mec-Gar or Les Baer 8 round mags. I would like the extra round especially in Single Stack if possible. I know the 1911 was designed for 7 rounds and that the 8 round magazines have greater spring compression. Question is should I keep trying and order a set of Les Brown, ETM and Mec-Gar from Brownell and one from Tripp to see if any work or just live with 7+1? I guess my thought was at make ready load 8+1 and then use 7 rounds for reloads,. Of course I will be carrying 5 or 6 mags for single stack. It appears from other board that this is not an uncommon issue at least for Colts. The final option is I buy another STI in .45. (have one in 9mm) which has the obvious advantage of adding another gun, assuming the 8 round mags will work in that gun. But the Colt has sentimental value and other than the mag issue I have it where I want. Thanks very much for any help or comments

Wilson has a mag mode 47DE this has a .065 base pad. I use these with my SS that has the TechWell mag well. All 8 rounders are hard to seat, the Wilson has a little room in it with 8, and its this room that makes it easier to seat and not the base pad. But easy is a relative term it doesn't really mean easy like a limited or open gun its just better than darn near impossible. You got to put some force behind them, and watch out you don't do a pinky slam.

Fwiw I went with the Wilson ETM's for just this issue. I also put the DE base pad on them, and then had to sand them to fit in the box. You still gotta be assertive with them, but it's the best combo I've found. They really do help. Any chance you could borrow some different kind of mags to try them out? That's what I did and settled on the ETM.

Kevin

Edited to remove bad manners. Didn't even think about it, my apologies. Chuck's got the correct link.

Edited by kevinj308

Wilson has a mag mode 47DE this has a .065 base pad. I use these with my SS that has the TechWell mag well. All 8 rounders are hard to seat, the Wilson has a little room in it with 8, and its this room that makes it easier to seat and not the base pad. But easy is a relative term it doesn't really mean easy like a limited or open gun its just better than darn near impossible. You got to put some force behind them, and watch out you don't do a pinky slam.

I think brother CoCo meant 0.625" base pad ;)

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-8-Round-Extended-Base-Pad/productinfo/47DE/

Brian sells them here: http://www.brianenos.com/store/wilson.html

Later,

Chuck

You're right, but I'm another one that has a hard time remembering how long they are.

For the OP, usually you just have to take a little off the very front (on an angle) to get them to fit the box with a little room to spare. R,

Am I correct in assuming that my gun won't fit in the box without trimming the DE basepads? I've never run them because I thought even with a fixed rear sight, I'd have to trim them to fit in the box.

Seating an 8 round mag in a single stack definitely requires some serious authority in my gun. I used to miss a lot of reloads, and I still miss one sometimes.

http://shopwilsoncom...oductinfo/47DE/

Brian sells them here: http://www.brianenos...ore/wilson.html

Later,

Chuck

Yes that is correct I don't know why I threw that zero in there. I have to use them because of the mag well

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=716

A pinky slam is when you let the pinky of the strong hand get between the frame and the incoming mag, the result is very painful.

Do you have an extended ejector? I had a similar problem once. The top round was hitting the ejector. It was worse with a full mag because the ejector couldn't push down the top round. I shortened the ejector and the problem went away (the gun still ejected properly).

Am I correct in assuming that my gun won't fit in the box without trimming the DE basepads? I've never run them because I thought even with a fixed rear sight, I'd have to trim them to fit in the box.

Seating an 8 round mag in a single stack definitely requires some serious authority in my gun. I used to miss a lot of reloads, and I still miss one sometimes.

It's hard to say really...depends on the height of the rear sight more than anything else. I only had to shave a bit off of my DE pads...sort of put a slope to the pad by removing some from the front half. The good thing is that it fits the box with quite a bit of room to spare. The easy way to check is to get a piece of cardboard and draw the dimensions of the box on it, then set the gun in the "box" and see how much needs to come off the pads. R,

Thanks a lot guys. I ordered six of the .625 basepads and an ETM 8 rounder from Midway today. I will add the basepads to my Wilson Combat mags and try the ETM. If it works as the next coming like the reviews say I will probably add the base pad to it as well. Bad part is if this works I have less of an argument with my wife for another 1911. Hope they come before the Sunday USPSA match. Will let everyone know how it works. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I installed the basepads on 5 wilson combat magazines and they fit fine. Would not fit on an 8 round ETM magazine however. Used them in two matches so far and they make a big difference. I just need to practice the reloads more with the longer basepads. Thanks everyone for the help.

Gotta admit I have the same problem with my Les Baer and my STI Spartan using my Wilson and my Baer 8 round mags loaded to capacity. It takes a lot of force to get them to seat during a fast reload. I recently bought 5 Wilson ETM's and it is an improvement but still difficult to seat. Just ordered the Dawson basepads because my Spartan has the Dawson SS Ice magwell. Stock Wilson basepads are too short! I know this won't help with the compression, but it will help me load mags into the Spartan with Ice magwell. Redraider, I feel your pain!

Wow, just shot my first mini-match yesterday with my new Spartan (supertuned), and I am very impressed with the Dawson No-Gap Ice magwell and the no-gap basepads. My reloads were much smoother. I almost didn't have to think about reloading, just moving and shooting. To those like myself, who haven't tried these magwells because of their size, I would say don't hesitate. It makes reloading a SS a breeze. They may be honkin' big and ugly (like me), but they are very efficient, and IMO, do a better job for competition than the smaller magwells. I recommend using the no-gap version insert and basepads. Will cost you about $100.

I do not have that problem with my Wilson or Tripp magazines, either 8 or 10 round magazines.

Are the rounds hitting the ejector? Take the slide off and look at it.

If the round are hitting the botton of the slide you can put your rounds on a diet and make them slimmer :roflol: -- sorry could not help myself.

Ping WHATMEWORRY, he honestly knows a boatload about the 1911. Ask him, he is generally a pretty nice guy to chat about this stuff.