Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help With New 3-Gun Upper

Tolly

Hey guys, looking to get started in some 3-gun competition so I need to buy a new upper. I will also be using the upper for informal target shooting (paper & steel) out to 500 yards, and maybe a little varmint fun if I feel like. I am trying to find something that will work for everything if possible and I was looking at this BCM MK12 Mod O. I am not sure what I would run for optics, so any suggestions y'all have on that topic would be appreciated as well. Most of the 3-Gun competition I go to would be within the North Central Texas/ South Central Oklahoma area. Any help would be appreciated, as I am not sure what I need.

The upper will be going on a Noveske lower with Daniel Defense LPK, JP trigger, and LMT SOPMOD stock.

Thanks!

+1 on the JP.

I understand the recommendations for JP and the Noveske upper, but DPMS???, Really??? I have never held DPMS equipment in very high regard, but then again my background is more combat shooting than sport, so I don't know, maybe their stuff is okay now days. Does the 3-Gun crowd just not like BCM products, or do they not support the game? They certainly make some excellent product that will run and run and run. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind recommendations.

What does everyone run for optics?

+1 on the JP.

I understand the recommendations for JP and the Noveske upper, but DPMS???, Really??? I have never held DPMS equipment in very high regard, but then again my background is more combat shooting than sport, so I don't know, maybe their stuff is okay now days. Does the 3-Gun crowd just not like BCM products, or do they not support the game? They certainly make some excellent product that will run and run and run. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, I am just trying to understand the reasoning behind recommendations.

What does everyone run for optics?

+1

I like BCM, LMT, Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, Larue. I have yet to try a JP but from my friends that have them like them and they are popular with a lot of guys here.

I personally have not had confidence building experiences with DPMS. I will leave it at that as to avoid offending anyone on the forum.

They (DPMS) are respected here I believe because of the money they donate to the sport which I admit is a good thing and hopefully other manufactures will jump on board as the sport grows.

For optics I was running a Swarovski Z6i 1-6 variable powered scope with daylight bright illumination. The new scope I am about to run is the same thing except with a bullet drop reticle Z6i BRT.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

DPMS gets trashed by the M4Carbine forum guys because they don't stake everything 4 times and chrome line everything, etc. There's a good number of "If it ain't a Colt/DD/LMT, it ain't sh__" folks over there.

The truth is, there's LOTS of shooters shooting DPMS gear as GAMING guns, that will never see the brutal environment of combat. Gaming guns are run for a few hours, then meticulously cleaned, then put in a climate controlled safe. That said, they shoot VERY reliably, VERY accurately, and at a great price. DPMS supports competition shooting as well or better than any manufacturer, and they even have an upper/gun built specifically for our sport (Panther 3G-1).

Your lower is built of excellent components... But if you slapped on a DPMS 3G-1 upper, and headed for a Multigun match with it, you'll be happy as a ____________. Or you can build away from components.

I'm biased... since I bought a $700 DPMS Sporticle almost a year ago. It now wears a JP Trigger, free-float guard, Magpul furniture, EoTec, and a Miculek comp... But the upper, lower, barrel, BCG, buffer etc... are all DPMS. It has run 2000+ flawless rounds, including steel cased Russian crap, and it shoots good ammo inside 1 MOA... And I won my Defensive Carbine Match last week against 25 other shooters...

YRMV

Jeff

That Mk 12 Mod O would work ok. Once you remove the rails, Add a good muzzle break, Turn down the heavy bbl, and lighten up the BCG.

or

You could get a JP upper with 18" rifle gas and SS LMOS and their excellent muzzle break blended to the bbl. and call it a day. It will do all you ask of it.

I went with JP, but that was my budget.

If I were spending less, DPMS's support of my beloved sport would have influenced me to try one of their products.

As stated earlier, for what we do with these guns, almost anything would realistically be sufficient. Needs to work, and be accurate.

I really like the vltor uppers, they produce a very good product for a fair price. One plus is that their uppers are some of the lightest around, that's the down side with billet uppers and lowers, they are a lot heavier than forged ones.

A lot heavier??? How much? The ones I have used, especially the uppers were not enough to notice. The majority of the weight on an overweight upper is contained in the bbl., some by as much as two pounds. The differance in lower recievers I have weighed was never more than a few ounces. The heaviest reciever I ever put together was a Stainless steel lower by DPMS that weighed about a pound more than a forged alum. The Larue billet lower I used recently was only slightly heavier than a forged, and not noticable when completed, without a scale.

Do you have some actual weights available for comparison?

I really like the vltor uppers, they produce a very good product for a fair price. One plus is that their uppers are some of the lightest around, that's the down side with billet uppers and lowers, they are a lot heavier than forged ones.

Billet uppers and lowers are not a lot heavier than forged ones my friend.

I went to Noveske Rogue Hunter 18" intermediate and used A5 intermediate stock kit with SJC Titan break. Worked well on my last multigun match.

Thanks smoothdraw. I will either be going with a BCM, Noveske, or JP upper here within the next few days. For what it's worth, I have also considered the LaRue Stealth 18" as well.

Good choices. I know you will not go wrong with any of those. Plus Larue, JP and Noveske are great supporters of our sport. BCM, Larue and Noveske are great supporters of our armed forces.

I went to Noveske Rogue Hunter 18" intermediate and used A5 intermediate stock kit with SJC Titan break. Worked well on my last multigun match.

Thanks smoothdraw. I will either be going with a BCM, Noveske, or JP upper here within the next few days. For what it's worth, I have also considered the LaRue Stealth 18" as well.