Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550B 9mm primer problem

GlockOp

First let me say that I am extremely satisfied with my new Dillon loader. I made a couple of mistakes in set-up, but figured it out over the weekend. I have talked to Dillon tech Support on 2 occasions today since I kept having primer jams every 5 to 15 shells. After talking to Dillon it appears I was trying to jam a primmer in a military primer pocket. Most of the 9mm cartridges that won't load are WCC's with a date on them. There were several others that needed reaming or swagging. Does anyone have a list of those cartridges that need work on the primer pocket prior to loading? I have purchased quite a bit of brass from Cape Fear Brass and it has a large percentage of WCC and other problem brass. I also purchased a Dillon Super Swage 600 and hope that will help with the problem. Any advice on the types of brass to look out for would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike

I got a batch of Federal once that was like the WCC you describe. Unless you get some NATO stamped stuff, you should be fine.

The NATO stuff will usually have a date like the WCC. I can't remember if there are any with the "circle cross" like you see on the 5.56 rifle stuff.

I use whatever brass I pick up. With the 550 it is easy to "feel" if the primer is going to seat correctly. If not it goes into the trash...most commercial brass is a non issue. Love the 550 been loading on it for 20 plus years.

9mm is he only brass I have loaded where I have the primer problems that you describe. Like the guy above me, if it doesn't go in like normal, don't force it. You will just waste the primer. Throw that brass away and use the primer in the next one.

I use whatever brass I pick up. With the 550 it is easy to "feel" if the primer is going to seat correctly. If not it goes into the trash...most commercial brass is a non issue. Love the 550 been loading on it for 20 plus years.

What I pick up is usually easy to load. I am afraid I invested in a bunch of brass that has several kinds of foreign or Military Ammo. So I am just looking for a solution so I can use as much of the brass as possible.

mike

The WCC and S&B brass can be difficult to load in 9mm. I don't even mes with it. There are other sources of good brass but you get a dud once in a while too. I ordered a bunch of brass for .45 from a guy in Arizona. Got about 25% of that 'green ammo" brass that uses a small primer instead of the normal large pistol. Hitting one of those will wake you up real quick too. Suggest you sort your brass and ditch the military stuff. Too much trouble.

The super swage should work at reaming out the crimped primer pockets. I have just been using a RCBS swager hand tool. Once I ream the pocket I really don't have anymore problems with them. That reminds me I need a super swage, they are pretty cool.

Thanks everyone. As suggested I sorted the brass and have put the military and WCC brass to one side. I will clean up what I can of that type of brass once the Swage tool from Dillon arrives later in the week. Very easy to load once you know what not to just shove into the loader :-) Shot 100 rounds today of a target load I will use for IDPA and it was really nice, No problems in the gun (Glock 34) and a soft recoil.

Regards

Mike

Well I purchased a Dillon 600 Swage tool and swagged about 50 of the WCC Cases. Still has some some problems with getting the primers to seat. So the individual I talked with at Dillon who told me not to bother with the WCC Cases was correct? I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder to use again and threw the cases out. I also made a list of all the brass that loads easily and will sort out the trash next time. Thanks for all the good advice from everyone.

Mike

Stay away from Federal brass marked "NT" for non toxic. Crimped primers. You'll know when you find one, cause the de-capping pin will push enough of it out through the center of the primer to try and seat the next primer, but the sides of the old primer are still in the brass. You'll have to take the shell plate apart to get the piece of brass out. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

i think wcc brass is the very best brass you can get! keep it all!

I have to agree with Bello. Whenever I purchase ammo for competition I use Winchester NATO 147gr 9mm. The brass is stamped WCC on it. You would think the brass is the same as the stuff in the regular red and white box but this stuff seems to be a LOT tougher and last longer. Has anyone else noticed this?

By the way, I do reload but I have not had a chance to reload any of the WCC cartridges. I'm almost there though and I'm hoping I don't need to do too much to the primer pockets because i've got about 2500 cases marked WCC.

Speaking of primer problems, has anyone had any trouble getting a primer out of Wolf or Academy brand ammo? The primers seem like there welded in there or something. No matter what I do none of them will come out.

Why are you even trying to decap Wolf cases?

I had a piece of FC NATO brass slip into some FC I was loading recently, and it'll definitely get your attention. You have to get rid of the crimp before you can reprime.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it's because i'm still so new to reloading that I had no idea. I'm still learning as I go and I have definitely learned a lot so far. Everyone on here has been great about providing information and answering my "newbie" questions.

I finally got a chance to give the Winchester NATO cases a chance. So far i've been able to reload them without incident. The primers don't slip in quite as smoothly but so far all of them have seated at the correct depth and have been uniform. The cases have the primer crimp on them but it hasn't been a problem. I had some trouble setting up the primer cup on my Dillon 550 so there is a chance that it has to do with the way it is currently set up(which I think there is a chance that it's not set up 100% properly but it works.)

Cheers,

-James :cheers: