Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Youth shooter shooting prod 40 S&W

Spray_N_Prey

as the title states, he is a junior (11) and I want to take him under my wing and get him on his way. He is using a Glock 22 and is going to compete in production. The bullets will either be Montana Gold or Lead.

I told his father 180 grain bullets and another shooter claims 155 grain. I would expect him to like the less recoil that is received with a heavier bullet, but maybe this isn't the case. any suggestions?

Also I know there is a search function BUT I never have good luck with it so is there a good powder in the 40 MINOR league that works well with lead and jacketed?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn Ginardi

If he is shooting minor, I really doubt he will notice much difference between the 180 and 155s. I have both loaded in minor and I actually like the 155 better (and they are cheaper) but they are so close to me, that it really doesn't matter.

How do you end up with a dilemma of MG or Lead?? That's a huge difference in quality and price but if possible, go with MG.

I use VV for all my loads now but due to the price, I don't recommend it unless they know what they are getting into. A good economical powder I used to use was AA #5 and WSF. I'm sure many more will chime in on that one.

Good luck...

Edited by gng4life

I use BBI Moly 180's and 3.0-3.1 of plain Clays loaded to 1.135 for my minor IDPA loads. They are moving at about 815fps for a PF of 145ish so they have enough oomph to knock steel but are VERY soft. I will shoot a couple thousand of these and then shoot some factory 9mm and the 9mm stuff feels hot. This load has a very manageable "push" recoil to it but it still cycles the slide pretty quick. Its almost like cheating.

I have loaded some real powderpuff loads with a 180 grain zero fmj at 1.135" with 3.0-3.1 grains of clays. That just barely makes minor and it is insanely soft. You might want to bump it up to 3.2 or so, but still, it will be very soft.

I use BBI Moly 180's and 3.0-3.1 of plain Clays loaded to 1.135 for my minor IDPA loads. They are moving at about 815fps for a PF of 145ish so they have enough oomph to knock steel but are VERY soft. I will shoot a couple thousand of these and then shoot some factory 9mm and the 9mm stuff feels hot. This load has a very manageable "push" recoil to it but it still cycles the slide pretty quick. Its almost like cheating.

+1 this is my exact production load. Put a 13 or 14# recoil spring and your good to go!

180gr. Jacketed bullets with ~3.5gr of Titegroup or WST loaded to 1.130-1.135" are great minor 40 loads. I'd definitly go with the heavier bullet, much less flip in recoil, more of a push....a lighter bullet with create the opposite effect.

This is an excellent load. I had to bump my charge to 3.7gr to get the PF I wanted out of my gun.

Edited by GForceLizard

Here is some good reading with quite a few minor .40 loads.

I've only tried Bullseye with a 180 lead bullet. I had to bump up the charge .3 grains from what was referenced in order to cycle the slide reliably on my xdm with a 14 lb spring.

Good luck.

ETA-forgot the link

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunition/40lite_091806/index1.html

Edited by d_striker

Hello; You may want to rethink shooting Production for a junior shooter. I am going to start my son who is 12 now in Limited minor. That way he will not have to do so many reloads and he can keep shooting without the pressure of reloads. I would use the heavy bullet and push it at 130PF. Moly bullets shoot softer than jacketed bullets. Thanks, Eric

I have loaded some real powderpuff loads with a 180 grain zero fmj at 1.135" with 3.0-3.1 grains of clays. That just barely makes minor and it is insanely soft. You might want to bump it up to 3.2 or so, but still, it will be very soft.

:cheers: That's the load I ran in my Glock 35 for production.

Hello; You may want to rethink shooting Production for a junior shooter. I am going to start my son who is 12 now in Limited minor. That way he will not have to do so many reloads and he can keep shooting without the pressure of reloads. I would use the heavy bullet and push it at 130PF. Moly bullets shoot softer than jacketed bullets. Thanks, Eric

Actually I think the very opposite. I think everyone should start off in production, because of the reloads. Too many people start off in open or limited and never master the reload like you do shooting production, well that's at least how I see it.

Shawn

With a name like Spray N Prey, I'm surprised you say that roflol.gif

I'm with Eric on this one, I'm getting my daughter into Steel Challenge and IPSC. She has enough to worry about right now with safety, course management, getting here hits, time, etc and we'll save the tons of reloads when she has a better mastery of those areas first.

Hello: I am just going with info I received about new shooters and what they don't like to do. I asked a bunch of new shooters and they don't like to reload. I also figure it is one less thing to worry about with the reloads. I also think alot of guys shoot open since they don't reload much :roflol: Just my thoughts. Thanks, Eric

exactly, that's why when I get to go to the range to practice, I NEVER practice the stuff I like to do, I practice the stuff I HATE to do. that's what we all need to work on is the stuff that we don't like. We already do good at the stuff we like to shoot.