Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alright, what's going on here...

GrumpyOne

I have a new bone stock XDM 40, maybe 1,000 rounds through it. Some factory loads, mostly my reloads (lead, 180 TCN 3.0 Clays, 1.118). I just can't seem to get any consistency from it. At 15 yards, low left to center of the target, with a 6" spread. I had put it down to me milking the grip, yanking the trigger, etc., till this afternoon, shooting it again, groups are all over the place (if you can call it a group!), I decided to shoot my old iron sighted Springfield P9 40 S&W DA/SA with the same ammo, figuring that would sort out once and for all, that it was an ammo issue or me being stupid, if it did the same thing. Trouble is, it didn't. At 15 yards, it shot one ragged hole 1" low in 10 shots. So, I guessed it was me, not used to the heavy double action trigger on the XDM. So I repeated the experiment, after each shot, lowering the hammer to DA, then firing. Again, one ragged hole. Loaded up the XDM, all over the place again. Could it really be that it doesn't like lead? I know the trigger pull on the P9 is heavier in DA than the XDM, so that kinda rules out not being used to the heavy pull....

I took my time, verified that the sights are not moving, that they are staying on target, all the way through the pull, but still, huge groups....

I couldn't hit a can of corn at 10 yards with the XDM, but drove it across the back yard with the P9...

I'm at a loss here.....HELP!

BTW, my other P9 SA only, shoots the ammo just fine....very light trigger though.

I'm shooting the XDM in production...I'd love to shoot the old DA/SA P9 in Pro, but it's not legal.... :angry:

Edited by GrumpyOne

I have a recently purchased XDM also, but have been nothing but impressed by it's accuracy. I agree that it is likely not the Indian in this instance. Have you tried it with factory 115gr or 124 gr FMJ's to see how it does? If it shoots them like a scattergun also then you might need to get on the phone with Springfield CS.

I have a recently purchased XDM also, but have been nothing but impressed by it's accuracy. I agree that it is likely not the Indian in this instance. Have you tried it with factory 115gr or 124 gr FMJ's to see how it does? If it shoots them like a scattergun also then you might need to get on the phone with Springfield CS.

Uh, it's a 40....I don't think they have that grain ammo available for it.... :blink:

I have an XD .40 and have friends that have the XDm's and we have found that with some bullets you need to get them up into the 140ish power factor range for them to hold their accuracy at 15+ yards. Your mileage on that may vary depending on the bullet though.

I loaded up some Clays with 180gr BBI bullets and was at 3.4 gr of Clays before they would stay accurate at 15 to 25 yards. I ended up going back to N320 though because of the smoke.

I have an XD .40 and have friends that have the XDm's and we have found that with some bullets you need to get them up into the 140ish power factor range for them to hold their accuracy at 15+ yards. Your mileage on that may vary depending on the bullet though.

I loaded up some Clays with 180gr BBI bullets and was at 3.4 gr of Clays before they would stay accurate at 15 to 25 yards. I ended up going back to N320 though because of the smoke.

That may very well be it. My P9's love the light loads though... :unsure:

Mine shoots a very tight group with a Lee TL401-175-SWC and both Bullseye and Universal.

What's your loading process with this bullet? Have you slugged your barrel? Have you mic'd a bullet? Have you pulled a bullet and measured it after seating? The accuracy that you're describing sounds like your bullet may be undersized...Just a guess.

How does it shoot plated and/or jacketed bullets?

Edited by d_striker

GrumpyOne - Try some factory ammo 180gr from a rest, then you have taken most of the indian out. Also you might want to have a peek in the barrel and see if you have a pound of lead in there. If you do its time for the choreboy and elbow grease.

I picked up an XD in a gun shop and felt it up to see how well the barrel was fit and how well the slide was fit and you won't see me packing one. It was very poorly fit. I have won two of them and was very happy with how easy they were to sell

Edited by CocoBolo

Grumpy you shouldnt of bought a plastic gun :roflol: Get yourself a CZ for production and your problems will be solved. My XDM 9 wasnt very accurate thats why I got rid of it. Iam not very impressed with the XDM line.

That's too bad. I like the two xdm's that I have. I will say that the mag release sucks to shoot in production though. Unless you have hands like a gorilla.

Sounds like the bullets might be leading the barrel. You might clean it out with a Lewis lead remover, brush out the chamber and try some jacketed loads. If it shoots jacketed, the barrel is ok. Find a different lead bullet. If the jacketed is all over the place, something is wrong with the barrel. Sometimes re-crowning the muzzle will help if the original is off center.

Mine shoots a very tight group with a Lee TL401-175-SWC and both Bullseye and Universal.

What's your loading process with this bullet? Have you slugged your barrel? Have you mic'd a bullet? Have you pulled a bullet and measured it after seating? The accuracy that you're describing sounds like your bullet may be undersized...Just a guess.

How does it shoot plated and/or jacketed bullets?

The bullet is not undersized. I've shot 10,000 of the same bullet, every sample I've ever taken has been .401. The barrel is .400, the crimp is exactly as it should be, no marks on the bullet itself, just removing the bell/flair.

Grumpy you shouldnt of bought a plastic gun :roflol: Get yourself a CZ for production and your problems will be solved. My XDM 9 wasnt very accurate thats why I got rid of it. Iam not very impressed with the XDM line.

Thanks for that very inspired solution to the problem I'm having! I'm gonna make this one work, or do everything possible until it kicks my butt, then I'll move on. I'm a bulldog in that respect. Never give up.

GrumpyOne - Try some factory ammo 180gr from a rest, then you have taken most of the indian out. Also you might want to have a peek in the barrel and see if you have a pound of lead in there. If you do its time for the choreboy and elbow grease.

I picked up an XD in a gun shop and felt it up to see how well the barrel was fit and how well the slide was fit and you won't see me packing one. It was very poorly fit. I have won two of them and was very happy with how easy they were to sell

It was leading a bit, but these results were AFTER cleaning the lead outta the barrel. It was so clean you could drink through it. It was only leading just at the case mouth, and it wasn't severe.

Sounds like the bullets might be leading the barrel. You might clean it out with a Lewis lead remover, brush out the chamber and try some jacketed loads. If it shoots jacketed, the barrel is ok. Find a different lead bullet. If the jacketed is all over the place, something is wrong with the barrel. Sometimes re-crowning the muzzle will help if the original is off center.

I really haven't shot jacketed outta it. I'm gonna get a box of Winny White box and run through it, but problem is, it's just a guess, as when I shoot the Winny, it will be in a match, no time to test, and I'm 500 miles from home. So, I'll be shooting damn near major in a production match.

I really haven't shot jacketed outta it. I'm gonna get a box of Winny White box and run through it, but problem is, it's just a guess, as when I shoot the Winny, it will be in a match, no time to test, and I'm 500 miles from home. So, I'll be shooting damn near major in a production match.

Where are you?

Thanks for that very inspired solution to the problem I'm having! I'm gonna make this one work, or do everything possible until it kicks my butt, then I'll move on. I'm a bulldog in that respect. Never give up.

Iam always here to help Grumpy but I had to give you alittle poke when I can. I hope you figure it out. My XDM 9 was very hard to shoot straight thats why I got rid of it and bought the G34. The XDM'S are fine guns they just wasnt for me. :cheers:

The ones I have all shoot as tight as a bullsye gun.

your OAL looks short to me. Try 1.135

Think it might be jumping to the lands? As far as the OAL, my other 2 40 S&W shoot them quite accurately. I just went and bought some WWB, so I'm gonna try them out and see what happens.

Update: Bought two boxes of Win White box 165gr, just tried out 15 rounds. First 5 rounds at 15 yards. One (yes, that's right!), just one on a piece of notebook paper. Move to 10 yards. Two on a piece of notebook paper. Second 5 at 10 yards, I got two more. I am not flinching, I am not yanking the trigger, the sights are not moving before the shot breaks. WTF?