Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different AR15 Manufacturers

Cameron

I am in the market for an AR15. I need a 3 gun AR to complement my Dawson Open gun that is due to arrive 2/24/04!! :0)

I understand some of the preffered manufactures of AR's are Bushmaster and RRA, but I am wondering about the quality of the manufactures listed below. They seem to be a little less expensive, have nice warranty, but are they a "get what you pay for" type gun?

Olympic Arms

Vulcan Arms

DPMS

Cavalry Arms

Armilite

Thanks,

Cameron

A Benny Hill AR would be nice. Not quite ready to spend that kind of money. I have learned quite a bit today about AR's. I have located a couple of used RRA's that I will look at. This will be my first AR for 3 gun, so I am not even sure what I will like best. For now a $600 one will do.

Thanks for the reply's

Cameron

DPMS makes the best AR's from a commerical manufacture and are very well priced for what you can get from them. Randy Luth really stands behind his products. They are some of the most accurate weapons you can get with a factory barrel, plus DPMS does a ton of sponsoring to our matches & we should support those who do. ;)

I've had good luck with Armalite and Colt rifles. Plenty of very good rifle shooters use DPMS, RRA and Bushmaster, among others, and all have a solid reputation. From that set, I'd choose the one with the configuration you want at the price you're willing to pay. Other than perhaps the RRA, all are about the same price point for equivalent products.

JP Enterprises makes probably the best 3Gun AR available, for a few more $$$.

Get a really good rifle from the outset.

Resist the urge to go cheap.

When you figure the time you will spend practicing at the range, dryfiring, loading ammo, travelling to matches, and when you figure the cost of ammo, components, range fees, match fees and travel expences, the price of the rifle is negligible over the course of a few years.

Dave

I agree with Mr. Benzick about getting off on the right foot and saving money in the long run by spending a little more now. I also believe that a Benny Hill rifle is worth looking at. It will only cost you a little more (talk to him before you say you can't afford one), but will serve you a lot better than a box stock $600 AR.

--

Regards,

Pacman wrote: "Stay away from Vulcan Arms - It's the old Hesse." VERY good advice! Stay far far away from this shady operation. They have used cast aluminum lowers in the past; this has been a bad thing particularly when the porous castings broke & Hesse told the owner to get bent.

On a related note, another manufacturer also sells a gun under $600; the Olympic Arms "Plinker"; problem is, it also uses a cast lower. Look, I have BUILT lower castings into firearms & sure, they will "work". No question. So why stay away from them? We had a barely used "plinker" at the shop for consignment (I work with the gun's owner; its barely used) It fell from the store rifle rack onto the carpeted floor; a distance of less than 5 feet. ResultL the cast lower cracked into 3 pieces! If you have ever seen the military train with their FORGED lower M16s & M4s, you know this should not happen. You could get it for under $600 & then carefully baby it in 3 gun; I don't think about such things, preferring to concentrate on the shooting. Good advice has been offered; get a quality AR to start and I also vouch for RRA, as well as the "ABCs". Best of luck & welcome to 3gun!

More info on building ARs: www.roderuscustom.tzo.com

What Benny said.

I ignorantly bought a Colt Hbar for $900 instead of going custom. If I ever want to be competitive in 3 gun, I get to put another $500 min. into it. I could have bought one set-up right from the get-go for under $1K from Benny. What the hell was I thinking...

Cameron,

Keepy your dollars in the sport. Definately buy from someone that supports the spot like DPMS or JP.

My suggestion is to talk with Benny and find out what he can do within your budget. Keep in mind that if you are shhoting open, the optics on a rifle can be quiet high dollar. And do not skimp on the optics. You will be sorry.

I will sacrifice myself as an example. Decided last year to gather all my 3-gun gear, first with purchasing a Bushy V-Match flat-top for limited, not a bad idea at the time. Well....by adding good rear sights, front JP gas block, adjustable front sight riser with Lyman globe inserts, mag well, comp., decent sling, JP trigger etc. Spent so much time, money & aggravation; one could of almost purchased one of the finest weapons for 3-gun after all this. Its similar to buying a car and trying to add air conditioning to it afterwards, just not worth the costs or trouble perhaps. Yes, this was a great experience, as I learned lots, but it’s the cost of learning sometimes. If you truly wish to save money, buy a Benny Hill AR already built. Recently splurged and bought me a new pre-built limited SV pistol and new Remington CM recently to wrap up the package with air conditioning already installed. Basically I spent this last winter researching and slowly gathering needed gear and guess what? I have never, ever shot a 3-gun match yet, yes this is my first experience as well with 3-gun too. Will be shooting my first 3-gun match in a couple weeks and sure there will be some items added to my wish list. Just listen to what these people are telling you, as I spend my spare time just reading this forum in the evening and just absorbing information, beats watching the boob tube. Last year I watched a 3-gun match and took many digital photographs of everyone’s gear and weapons, asked lots of newbie questions. Most importantly, do it right the first time, we all learn the difficult way sometimes, but we also learn in the process. Best wishes with your decisions.

Thanks to all of the suggestions. The consencious sez to call Benny and do it right the first time. This is typically my mindset also, however, I was trying to get into an affordible AR to start with. I guess I like the RRA if I end up buying box stock. I figured I would by an AR before the White House tells me I can't.

I will take the sound advice and contact Benny!

Thanks

Cameron