Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No More Lead Poisoning (long but important)

MichiganShootist

Mark- 100% agree and MA is also automatically contacted when levels are over 20 as well. The guy that called me asked the same questions about which ranges I was using (he might have been from OSHA I can't recall. I pushed back and he was fine with it and he emphasized that he justed wanted their "customers" to be aware of the potential risks.. not a bad thing. I truly believe he was sincere. Since my BLL were thru the roof I try to educate people as much as possible.

You must be on a watch list. All they did was send me a pamphlet in the mail. :devil:

Mark- 100% agree and MA is also automatically contacted when levels are over 20 as well. The guy that called me asked the same questions about which ranges I was using (he might have been from OSHA I can't recall. I pushed back and he was fine with it and he emphasized that he justed wanted their "customers" to be aware of the potential risks.. not a bad thing. I truly believe he was sincere. Since my BLL were thru the roof I try to educate people as much as possible.

You must be on a watch list. All they did was send me a pamphlet in the mail. :devil:

I think they liked me more. :lol:

What does it cost to get your lead tested? Is this something they can do at a "Doc-in-a-box", or do I have to a bona fide lab ($$)?

I just add it to my blood work when my doc does my physical. I have never been "charged" for it.

+1 Same here.

Dont get lulled into a false sense of security just because we use squeegees. <_< If you havent had your lead levels checked this year, go get it checked.

I say again, we use squeegies, no dust. Nothing more nothing less. My point was simply to offer an alternative to sweeping with a broom. Anyone who shoots will be exposed to lead in one way or another and should get checked periodically.

OK, just didn't want you thinking that made all the difference in the world, it helps but you know ....... not really the answer to lead poisoning. There really is no 1 single answer. It takes a combination of many different things to reduce your lead level, both short term, and long-term.

What does it cost to get your lead tested? Is this something they can do at a "Doc-in-a-box", or do I have to a bona fide lab ($)?

I just add it to my blood work when my doc does my physical. I have never been "charged" for it.

+1 Same here.

I'm sure your insurance company could point to a charge somewhere...

Anyone? Anyone who pays their own healthcare bills know what testing costs?

I'm sure your insurance company could point to a charge somewhere...

Anyone? Anyone who pays their own healthcare bills know what testing costs?

So I looked up my charges, I have an HSA so I pay first dollar up to my deductable, however annuals are NC. Anyway, I still get the cost breakdown. The cost for my blood test on even years (when I get lead checked) was the exact same code (and thus cost) as the odd years.

What do you think of the risk of loading indoors?

I plan on setting up my bench in a Finished room over my garage with heat and A/C (FROG).

I will still do my tumbling outside in the garage and then use the media seperator outside but do plan on reloading inside...

I plan on setting up my bench in a Finished room over my garage with heat and A/C (FROG).

I will still do my tumbling outside in the garage and then use the media seperator outside but do plan on reloading inside...

Fairly low. BUT, keep the kids and pets out! I actually do my media separation indoors, with a dedicated vacuum sucking up all the dust. I had lead sampling media in my "loading" room for 6 months and got a "trace" which means they found some, but in no measureable quantity.

Fairly low. BUT, keep the kids and pets out! I actually do my media separation indoors, with a dedicated vacuum sucking up all the dust. I had lead sampling media in my "loading" room for 6 months and got a "trace" which means they found some, but in no measureable quantity.

Even after tumbling- there is still a good amount of lead on the cases for sure- that and the dust from them is the exposure risk. Wash hands ofter and you will be fine IMO.

Yes, I plan on wearing the nitrile gloves while loading and the brass will be cleaned outside. Additionally I'm going to get a mask to wear when seperating them from the media.

This still leaves any dust from the bullets (lead, moly or jacketed) and the lead from primers. I don't know how much you stir up moving the bullets from the box to the loading bin etc.

I will wash my hands afterwards and not eat or drink while reloading. I will wipe off the loading area when finished as well.

This area will also have my weight equipment and maybe a tv or laptop on the bench area near the loading area.

Current idea is a 12 foot bench 42" high. Kind of like a kitche countertop with cabinets below to keep everything out of sight and away from dust etc.

It's more of a range management issue... but two of the indoor ranges that I used to frequent before this event....always swept up the brass with a push broom after every shooter.

That makes me cringe. when people sweep the ranges I leave for sure..

It makes me cringe too.

Bookmarked this thread. Thanks to the OP for keeping an important issue like this in the light.

Planenut-- yes, special soaps like D-Lead and LeadTech wipes use ingredients to chelate the lead and making it more easy to dissolve in water. In addition to all the prevention mentioned above, using these things definitely helps. I shoot mainly in a well-ventilated (OSHA certified) range. I've fired about 2000 FMJ rounds in the last 4 months and my lead level is about 3.

Bookmarked this thread. Thanks to the OP for keeping an important issue like this in the light.

Planenut-- yes, special soaps like D-Lead and LeadTech wipes use ingredients to chelate the lead and making it more easy to dissolve in water. In addition to all the prevention mentioned above, using these things definitely helps. I shoot mainly in a well-ventilated (OSHA certified) range. I've fired about 2000 FMJ rounds in the last 4 months and my lead level is about 3.

I bought some of the D-lead wipes and soap last week when this thread started..

Thanks to the op for bringing it to my attention...

We're seeing several people with higher lead levels here from a one night a week shoot. The tip on showering after the match and washing clothing right after the match was a good idea and one I will practice and pass on to others.

Had my first lead level check on my last annual Physical. Good idea for anyone shooting indoors. My level was 19, but have seen others in the 30's.

It's interesting that so many ppl are way up in the lead level dept. I started casting my own bullets last year and also melt and ingot lead from ww's and other sources.. I shoot exclusively outdoors and I don't smoke. My lead level was 4 before I started casting (I've been reloading for over 20 years, shotshell as well as metallic) and I don't wear gloves to handle bullets or brass. I do wear a dust mask when I deal with the tumbler. After a year of casting I had the doc check my lead level again.. and it was still 4. In his opinion, that is the background level for living where I do.. nothing to worry about. A little common sense goes a long way. My annual rounds down range fluctuates from 12-20k rounds fired..

We're seeing several people with higher lead levels here from a one night a week shoot. The tip on showering after the match and washing clothing right after the match was a good idea and one I will practice and pass on to others.

Had my first lead level check on my last annual Physical. Good idea for anyone shooting indoors. My level was 19, but have seen others in the 30's.

Ok- I'm VERY convinced of this... shooting indoors is the absolute MAJOR source for my lead. I shot indoors at least once a week, sometime twice at the most and my lead was up to 56!! By eliminating indoor shooting my lead went down to 18-21 (last two check ups) while keeping everything else mostly the same- reloading, more shooting outdoors, etc. I do where a respirator when sifting the tumbled brass now. I do shower after coming back from the range right away for the most part. All good stuff.

Indoor shooting "can be" really bad as it was for me. Most of the time when shooting/practicing IDPA/USPSA what do you do right after you shoot? You walk down range right into the smoke. Most clubs ventilation is pulled down range but not that fast.

My point is all these other things help... but don't forget where the vast majority of lead comes from. YMMV.

• 1 month later...

OK guys let me shed some light on this. I spend allot of time in an indoor range over 40 hours a week. lots of that time is dedicated to sweeping. when not at the indoor range I am in my reload room working. I was dumb and even knew better ( I went to nursing school and spent most of time as a Truama R.N.) but I did take any precautions such as use a resp. or nitrile gloves ect... in a 4 month period I noticed that my stomach hurt allot, I had frequent head aches and then a few weeks ago I had barely any short term memory. I have always shot allot of rifle but never shot much indoors or spent anytime @ an indoor range.

my latest lead level is 68 mics/Dl... because I am not having life threatening symptoms right now chelation therapy is not advised by the doc. I have had to remove myself from 100% of lead hazards I normally come in contact with. guys this happened over a 4 month period.

THE GOOD NEWS

blood levels are ONLY an indicator of a recent exposure and not total body burden. To find total body burden requires a special Xray called x ray florescence. That is the only way to to determine whether your exposure is chronic or acute. Mine is an accute case of high constant levels of exposure without taking any precautions. I am lucky once my blood level returns to normal I will have no lasting effects.

GET YOUR LEVELS CHECKED it isn't the amount time exposed it is the rate at which the exposure occurs. We have an indoor steel match once a week where 40 + shooters come out I generally RO/call the match with all my other indoor duties as well as my own practice time. I will from now on take every precaution known to man.

Mat

Edited by Mat Price